Recent

Author Topic: patches or Service packs for LAZ/FPC  (Read 4737 times)

BSaidus

• lazarus 1.8.4 Win8.1 / cross FreeBSD
patches or Service packs for LAZ/FPC
« on: February 12, 2016, 03:18:58 pm »
Hello all.
As a simple user for LAZ/FPC (I'm not expert"),  I wonder if there is a possibility to make a service packs for theme to be able to use the latest changes for a given version.
  See, I think that lazarus 1.4.4 with fpc-2.6.4 production release have experienced many bug fixes ..., so why there will not be a zip, or exe, or rpm,.... for these changes (binaries & sources).

I think that if we can support a given version of laz&fpc for a long time (LTS), people will be more confortable and trustfully on the product then we do now.

Thank you.
lazarus 1.8.4 Win8.1 / cross FreeBSD
dhukmucmur vernadh!

marcov

• Global Moderator
  • FPC developer.
Re: patches or Service packs for LAZ/FPC
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 04:07:43 pm »
I think that if we can support a given version of laz&fpc for a long time (LTS), people will be more confortable and trustfully on the product then we do now.

I think it would be very good. All you need is a github or sf.net account and mirror the 2.6.4 repo, and start merging. Good luck!

p.s. this reminds me that I have a severe backlog of 827 revisions for FPC 3.0.0

Thaddy

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 04:35:39 pm »

I think it would be very good. All you need is a github or sf.net account and mirror the 2.6.4 repo, and start merging. Good luck!

p.s. this reminds me that I have a severe backlog of 827 revisions for FPC 3.0.0

Hm, LTS marketing speak? What's all that then?
Let's see:
We have a fixes branch. Let's call that our LTS branch.
Problem solved. LTS is also shorter than fixes, obviously ;)

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 07:10:49 pm »
Hm, LTS marketing speak? What's all that then?
Let's see:
We have a fixes branch. Let's call that our LTS branch.
Problem solved. LTS is also shorter than fixes, obviously ;)
Not quite the same, taking Ubuntu definition of LTS, it won't stop receiving fixes even after next 4 (was 6 for desktop and 10 for server) stable releases, equal to 2-5 years support time. I don't think we have such a manpower to support old releases that long.

marcov

• Global Moderator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 03:14:36 pm »
Not quite the same, taking Ubuntu definition of LTS, it won't stop receiving fixes even after next 4 (was 6 for desktop and 10 for server) stable releases, equal to 2-5 years support time. I don't think we have such a manpower to support old releases that long.

Policies are to fixate something that is already there. I think the first step would be that there is a community that shares the same opinion what kind of fixes belong in an LTS start vetting fixes to merge inventorize bugs etc, and try to get something to work. Policies and targets can only be set after it is clear what's realistic.

In the past sometimes a few revisions (usually database) were merged to fix blatant bugs in the fixes branches even after the last point release (but with 2.6 nobody even requested any). Debian sometimes adds some patches of their own too.

I can assist in merging and other details as I have in the past, but there is simply no audience that wants to work on it. 

Moreover in discussions like this people expect releases after branch EOL. That is probably not going to happen, at least not by the current package builders. It is usually already a fight for the current builders to not skip the .4 releases and go directly for the next major. ( because .4 pointreleases are mostly RTL+packages fixes and progress, because by then usually compiler bugfixes are already quite unmergable due to heavy change)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 03:18:06 pm by marcov »

Thaddy

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 05:12:43 pm »
LTS for UBUNTU never meant to introduce new features.
It does mean you will get support for: obvious fixes and security problems. And that's about it, really. No, really!
But because they do that over the whole range of packages in their repository for that particular distribution  that is still no mean feat.
I think this can be achievable for FPC but such an LTS  thing would be very strictly described and regulated otherwise you'll end up in a mess.

I mean we have already senior members that are pissed off that you can't use 2.6.0 to bootstrap trunk. Or worse ;) TRUE.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 05:14:40 pm by Thaddy »

marcov

• Global Moderator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 05:55:28 pm »
LTS for UBUNTU never meant to introduce new features.
It does mean you will get support for: obvious fixes and security problems. And that's about it, really. No, really!

Maybe, but is really relevant what Ubuntu does? I hope that an effort for FPC/Lazarus LTS would be tuned to the demands of FPC/Lazarus users, and not Ubuntu users O:-)

Example: one of the most often requested post fixes merges is to include newer TMysqlConnections. Strictly not a fix.

I think this can be achievable for FPC but such an LTS  thing would be very strictly described and regulated otherwise you'll end up in a mess.

There is no inventory of requirements and no group interested in doing it, so setting rules is premature. I don't see a point in regulating it anyway since it would be a 3rd party effort.

I mean we have already senior members that are pissed off that you can't use 2.6.0 to bootstrap trunk. Or worse ;) TRUE.

Senior members of what? The bootstrapping rules date back to 0.99.12 (which was the first beta of 1.0, because by 0.99.10 bootstrapping with TP needed  cutting features with ifdef to work) so by now any somewhat familiar with the FPC project should know them.

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2016, 06:06:30 pm »
Senior members of what? The bootstrapping rules date back to 0.99.12 (which was the first beta of 1.0, because by 0.99.10 bootstrapping with TP needed  cutting features with ifdef to work) so by now any somewhat familiar with the FPC project should know them.
Probably senior member from forum post count, not necessarily senior in understanding FPC build policies.

Thaddy

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2016, 06:55:21 pm »
@Marco: Well then, see my suggestion... I actually agree with you and Getmem. :0

BSaidus

• lazarus 1.8.4 Win8.1 / cross FreeBSD
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2016, 12:45:53 pm »
Hi all!
People ! what I mean, is:
   Why we (the communauty, contributors, users, Core developpers of FPC) can't take a given version and stabilize it for a MAX (no new features) just Fixes for both LAZ & FPC and keep a branche for developpement until a new release then FIX it a MAX and ....
   Remember Delphi 7 ( I think it is very stable ), It has 2 service packs since it is out.
Why we can't do that for FPC/LAZ
  I think the most important is the stability & robustness not new featues (for a given release), for exemple why the EXE generated by LAZ/FPC is largely greaten in size then EXE generated by DELPHI ( do not tel me to strip it and desable debugging ..)
  Why we do not think to optimize this.. and so .... .

thanks
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 01:09:09 pm by BSaidus »
lazarus 1.8.4 Win8.1 / cross FreeBSD
dhukmucmur vernadh!

marcov

• Global Moderator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2016, 01:07:35 pm »
Hi all!
People ! what I mean, is:
   Why we (the communauty, contributors, users, Core developpers of FPC) can't take a given version and stabilize it for a MAX (no new features) just Fixes for both LAZ & FPC and keep a branche for developpement until a new release then FIX it a MAX and ....

And I answered that there is no reason why you couldn't do it. The rest was just discussion what is a fix and what a feature.

As said the most requested modification post x.y.4 release is adding new mysqlconnections (needed because newer linux distros ship with that version default), so "no new features" needs some detailling and careful consideration.

Remember Delphi 7 ( I think it is very stable ), It has 2 service packs since it is out.

And FPC 2.6 had two too, 2.6.2 and 2.6.4

Zath

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2016, 03:17:06 pm »

Pull your finger out then, us mere mortals crave for something new ! (said in a tongue in cheek manner  ;)  )

marcov

• Global Moderator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2016, 04:55:48 pm »
Pull your finger out then, us mere mortals crave for something new ! (said in a tongue in cheek manner  ;)  )

I can't remember I've seen specific requests, so it can't be that bad :-)

TinyPortal © 2005-2018