Recent

Author Topic: [SOLVED] Is an SQLite database totally transportable?  (Read 2728 times)

Elmug

[SOLVED] Is an SQLite database totally transportable?
« on: June 24, 2012, 01:13:52 am »
Hi everyone,

I read that an SQlite database is all in one single file.

Correct me if wrong, or confirm, please, that that means it that it can copied from Windows to Linux and Mac, and not only that, but it can be accessed by an application from or at any of those types of machines?

I other words, those SQlite databases ARE totally independent of the applications, in a manner similar to a text file?

Thanks for any replies and caveats.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 04:52:01 pm by Elmug »

CaptBill

Re: Is an SQLite database totally transportable?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 01:55:04 am »
Yes sir. One file @350 kilobytes is the driver. A "database" is one file containing all tables,indexes,views,stored procs, etc. plus the data itself.

What I really like is the command line terminal interface. Have you seen it yet?

http://zetcode.com/databases/sqlitetutorial/tool/

Here is the app itself from Sqlite:
http://www.sqlite.org/sqlite-shell-win32-x86-3071300.zip

Elmug

Re: Is an SQLite database totally transportable?
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 03:18:57 am »
Thanks CptBill,

I read briefly the link you gave, and saved it for reference as i plan to use SQLite to gather myself on using Lazarus to write database applications.

I installed PSQLite Administrator, and even at its first release, it is very impressive, wich proves that SQLite is pretty much active in the community.(I installed SQLite yesterday and found it quite straightforward, too).

My main interest and goal is with PostgreSQL, however, learning to do applications with Lazarus seems to be about the same no matter what the database be.

I am finding, though, that PSQlite can have many, many practical uses.

For learning, and development purposes, I also appreciate the portability. The capability of moving the project to  various PC's I use.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 03:24:33 am by Elmug »

TinyPortal © 2005-2018