Recent

Author Topic: Lazarus on Dual-boot Vista/Windows 7 computer?  (Read 4468 times)

ARYLIOA

Lazarus on Dual-boot Vista/Windows 7 computer?
« on: May 12, 2012, 04:31:04 pm »
I did a search and found only reference to Windows/Linux dual-boots on the forum.  My simple question is: Has anyone successfully installed Lazarus on both Vista and Windows 7 on a dual-boot computer?

I have been having a lot of trouble installing Lazarus on the Windows 7 OS on a dual-boot computer with Lazarus already installed on the Vista side. My goal is to convert thousands of lines of Delphi code while still hosted on Windows, working on any system I happen to be running at the time.  Ultimately I want to port it to Linux, but one step at a time seems smartest.   A very long and tedious thread has the details to date:

http://lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,16886.0.html

Thanks.

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
Re: Lazarus on Dual-boot Vista/Windows 7 computer?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 05:03:49 pm »
There should be no difference, as long as the architecture is the same even having one in a shared folder (and always executed via shortcut which gives -pcp to shared configuration file) and use it from both OS should be possible.

ARYLIOA

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 02:08:38 pm »
Thanks.  Sharing was the original goal across computers to my network drive but that got more complicated than seemed worth the trouble.

But "something" is causing great difficulties after the initial installation on only the Windows 7 of the 3 computers (XP, XP, Vista/Windows 7) network.   Every attemt to build the system with a new package fails.  I wondered if it was even possible there was something specific to the dual-(Windows)-boot causing it.

I felt the same that the isolation of the two OSs should be complete, but at this point I was looking for any possible conflict, even in the boot sector.

Thanks again.

ARYLIOA

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 10:01:22 pm »
To simplify the question further, has anyone installed Lazarus on a Windows 7 OS and been able to install additional packages without any problems?

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 11:02:01 pm »
I did a search and found only reference to Windows/Linux dual-boots on the forum.  My simple question is: Has anyone successfully installed Lazarus on both Vista and Windows 7 on a dual-boot computer?

Should be easy _IF_ the drive maintains its driveletter. If not, then you need to go in the direction of "portableapp" installations. Requires some more skill.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018