Recent

Author Topic: IDE Tester for Lazarus  (Read 1103 times)

Grahame Grieve

IDE Tester for Lazarus
« on: December 22, 2020, 11:41:42 am »
The IDETester package provides a view inside Lazarus from which you can run your FPCUnit test cases.

IDETester is a better approach than the standard FPC GUI Test Runner for several reasons:
* having the state of tests open in the IDE itself makes working with test state a more natural extension of your work flow
* The IDE Tester view remembers the state of tests across multiple iterations saving considerable time when your tests cases take more than a little time to run
* The IDE Tester state is integrated into the Project and remembered across project editing sessions

For further information and installation instructions, see https://github.com/grahamegrieve/lazarus-ide-tester

IDETester has been tested on Windows (10/64), OSX (big sur) and Linux (Unbuntu 20.10), and on Lazarus 2.1.0 and FPC 3.3.1, though I don't think it particularly depends on features of those versions. it does depend on virtual trees, though
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 11:44:53 am by Grahame Grieve »

avra

• Additional info
Re: IDE Tester for Lazarus
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2020, 02:21:26 pm »
Thank you. Once it's stable you could prepare it for OPM so anyone can install it with a few clicks...
ct2laz - Conversion between Lazarus and CodeTyphon
bithelpers - Bit manipulation for standard types
pasettimino - Siemens S7 PLC lib

Grahame Grieve

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2020, 08:23:38 pm »
The documentation for how to do that is hard to find... too hard - I haven't found it

avra

• Additional info
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2020, 12:05:01 am »

Grahame Grieve

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2020, 02:38:27 am »
That looks nice = thanks. But I don't have a 'create' button in my OPM dialog?

avra

• Additional info
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2020, 08:42:35 am »
I don't have a 'create' button in my OPM dialog?
You probably need trunk Lazarus for that. Either install it manually, or use automated fpcupdeluxe for such an action.

You can make such a file manually. There is a support forum topic where you can ask for help or read what others have said about that matter:
https://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,34297.0.html

I also see that there is external tool which might also be helpful (haven't tested, probably just for updates):
https://wiki.freepascal.org/OPM_External_Update_json_Editor
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 08:49:08 am by avra »

GetMem

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2020, 09:14:29 am »
But I don't have a 'create' button in my OPM dialog?
OPM->Options->Profiles->Package Maintainer

Alternatively, if your package is stable enough for release, I can add it to OPM manually. Just let me know. Thanks!

wp

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2020, 10:10:37 am »
I strongly advise against adding the IDETester to OPM at this time. OPM is highly visible to Lazarus user, and every user expects the packages to be "stable". The IDETester, on the other hand, is very new software, and I cannot believe that it is "stable". Unstable packages installed into the IDE are particularly dangerous as they easily can crash the IDE. Please use your package for a few months yourself, wait for any user input either here or on your github site, and then ask again.
Mainly Lazarus trunk / fpc 3.2.0 / all 32-bit on Win-10, but many more...

Grahame Grieve

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2020, 01:49:38 pm »
yes I crashed lazarus a few times myself today. I'm not going to register it because there's no way to mark it as experimental (that's what I expected to be able to do ...)

GetMem

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2020, 03:52:07 pm »
@Grahame Grieve
I'm not going to register it because there's no way to mark it as experimental (that's what I expected to be able to do ...)

Not so long ago it was decided that OPM should only target stable version of a particular package. Experimental packages may contain bugs and the bugtracker(https://bugs.freepascal.org/my_view_page.php) will be flooded with issues about third party packages, actually this already happened in the past.

avra

• Additional info
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2020, 08:32:00 am »
Thank you. Once it's stable you could prepare it for OPM so anyone can install it with a few clicks...
My first message advised adding to OPM only after package is stable, not before that. Sorry if there was a confusion around that.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018