Recent

Author Topic: [Solved] StatusBar Issues With QT4  (Read 7062 times)

Rails

[Solved] StatusBar Issues With QT4
« on: April 05, 2012, 04:23:18 pm »
My project contains a statusbar at the bottom of the form with four panels. Compiled for GTK2, everything looks and acts properly on my two machines.

Compiled for QT, everything looks and acts properly on one of my machines, but not the other. On my desktop, the statusbar appears as a simple gray bar with no panels or discernible border. However, when written to, the text appears in the correct position. In other words, the panels are there and functional, but without any bevel or border detail. It works perfectly on my laptop, though.

This is occurring with the same executable, not separately compiled executables.  It resides on network storage, where I can run it from either machine. It was compiled on the desktop, the very machine it won't display properly on.

When I recompiled the IDE for QT, the same problem appeared with the statusbar on the form designer too.  Everything else seems OK except for crappy editor fonts and vague separator lines in the object inspector.

I thought a missing QT runtime library might be the cause, but a comparison between the two machines didn't reveal anything. I could have missed something though. Debian breaks down QT  and QT related stuff into what must be at least one hundred packages.

Both machines are running the same OS version, the same XFCE4 desktop, and the same theme. The graphics chips and packages are different. The machine with the problem has a mid range nVidia gaming card. The laptop has an Intel graphics chip that's more or less mid range office machine capable, and of course a different Xserver.   

Anyone have any thoughts?

Laz 09.31, FPC 2.6
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 10:41:37 pm by Rails »

Blaazen

• POKE 54296,15
    • Eye-Candy Controls
Re: StatusBar Issues With QT4
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 07:07:23 pm »
Isn't this related to KDE4 themes (Oxygen, Plastik) (and possibly color settings) rather then to Lazarus ?
How does look like any native applications ?
I use KDE4 + Cleanlooks and I don't have any bevels in Statusbars either (not in Lazarus nor in other apps).
BTW I don't see any TStatusBar here in Qt Designer.
Lazarus 2.3.0 (rev main-2_3-2863...) FPC 3.3.1 x86_64-linux-qt Chakra, Qt 4.8.7/5.13.2, Plasma 5.17.3
Lazarus 1.8.2 r57369 FPC 3.0.4 i386-win32-win32/win64 Wine 3.21

Try Eye-Candy Controls: https://sourceforge.net/projects/eccontrols/files/

Rails

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 07:40:16 pm »
You may be right about the themes, but I don't think a user should have to install a particular desktop in order to use a certain widget set. The laptop previously ran KDE, then Gnome, now XFCE4. It still has several KDE apps installed. I got rid of as much KDE stuff as I could without losing the particular KDE apps I actually use on it, but there are still quite a lot of KDE packages installed on it.

The desktop is a brand new install. It only has XFCE4. a few Gnome apps, and everything else is desktop agnostic. I did run QT's configuration utility, which takes the place of KDE's QT configuration settings. It defaulted to Motif. I changed it to Windows, and then Platinum. It didn't make any difference in either the statusbar display, or how the IDE looks under QT.

However, the statusbar does work perfectly on the laptop, so it seems QT must support it.

Rails

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 08:36:26 pm »
More info.

I went back and looked at the editor fonts. In my haste, I missed the anti aliasing check box earlier. They look fine now. The object inspector lines are still vague, but I guess that's just QT.

I then dropped a panel into the middle of the form. I set the inner and outer bevels to lowered and raised respectively. They showed correctly on the form designer and the running application, unlike the statusbar.

I'm still perplexed as to why only the statusbar has issues, and why it doesn't have those issues on the laptop???

Blaazen

• POKE 54296,15
    • Eye-Candy Controls
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 09:41:26 pm »
I then dropped a panel into the middle of the form. I set the inner and outer bevels to lowered and raised respectively. They showed correctly on the form designer and the running application, unlike the statusbar.

Probably there are different methods for painting TPanel and TStatusPanel.
On my KDE4 desktop it seems that Lazarus follows system themes and ignores TStatusPanel.Bevel property.
Anyway, fill bugreport if you think it is a bug,
Lazarus 2.3.0 (rev main-2_3-2863...) FPC 3.3.1 x86_64-linux-qt Chakra, Qt 4.8.7/5.13.2, Plasma 5.17.3
Lazarus 1.8.2 r57369 FPC 3.0.4 i386-win32-win32/win64 Wine 3.21

Try Eye-Candy Controls: https://sourceforge.net/projects/eccontrols/files/

Rails

Re: [Solved] StatusBar Issues With QT4
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 10:53:59 pm »
It was the QT configuration utility. It had a bug, which has recently been closed. I updated to the latest version, reconfigured, and now the statusbar panels display properly. The laptop got the same update a few days ago, so that is why it did not have the problem.

Thanks for your assistance, Blaazen.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018