Recent

Author Topic: MySQL connection - MySQL - ZeosLib  (Read 6107 times)

tomek

MySQL connection - MySQL - ZeosLib
« on: March 27, 2012, 09:30:47 pm »
I'm trying to decide how to start implementation of the connection to mysql servers.
I see that I can use TMSSQL-libmysql.dll and ZeosLib.
The trouble is I want to implement in commercial application with closed source, so I see that Oracle have "Commercial License" for that use of libmysql.dll (use and include with my application).
If anyone realizes how much money they want for it?
ZeosLib is under LGPL so there is no problem but I see Zeos have libmysql51.dll,... are these libs under LGPL ?
What is best stable handling in Lazasus, TMSSQLConnection or ZeosLibs ?

Zoran

• http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/User:Zoran
Re: MySQL connection - MySQL - ZeosLib
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 08:38:12 am »
I'm trying to decide how to start implementation of the connection to mysql servers.
I see that I can use TMSSQL-libmysql.dll and ZeosLib.
The trouble is I want to implement in commercial application with closed source, so I see that Oracle have "Commercial License" for that use of libmysql.dll (use and include with my application).
If anyone realizes how much money they want for it?
ZeosLib is under LGPL so there is no problem but I see Zeos have libmysql51.dll,... are these libs under LGPL ?

Both SQLdb and Zeos have same approach — they use native client libraries for accessing the server. So the problem with licensing of client library will be same, no matter whether you chose SQLdb or Zeos for your application. If you can, you better leave MySQL and go with Firebird or PostgreSQL instead, they have very permissive licences, and they are in no way any worse than MySQL.

What is best stable handling in Lazasus, TMSSQLConnection or ZeosLibs ?

It depends on your personal taste. If you used BDE or ADO components in Delphi, then you might find Zeos easier to start with, but SQLdb is also very easy to work with once you get familiar with it.

BigChimp

• Add to the wiki - it's free ;)
    • FPCUp, PaperTiger scanning and other open source projects
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 10:11:33 am »
If you can, you better leave MySQL and go with Firebird or PostgreSQL instead, they have very permissive licences, and they are in no way any worse than MySQL.
Totally agreed.
By the way, SQLDB has a generic TSQLConnection, from which e.g. TOracleConnection derive. For MySQL that would probably be something like TMySQL51Connection - there is more or less a connector per client version. You'll see nasty stories in the forum about  MySQL clients not working because they are the wrong version. I'd stay away from mysql if you can.

Using sqldb would cut one layer of complexity in that it is maintained by the compiler guys. Presumably they would notice big bugs that break usage.
That's why I orginally started working with it for my (admittedly hobby) projects.
I've never used Zeos, so can't say anything about it.
Want quicker answers to your questions? Read http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_Faq#What_is_the_correct_way_to_ask_questions_in_the_forum.3F

Open source including papertiger OCR/PDF scanning:
https://bitbucket.org/reiniero

Lazarus trunk+FPC trunk x86, Windows x64 unless otherwise specified

tomek

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 12:59:45 pm »
Thanks for the advice.
The point is that I need connections to MySQL servers, at least at the beginning.
I see that Zeos can connect with various versions of  libmysql.dll
I will contact with the Oracle and will see what it cost.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018