Recent

Author Topic: [RESOLVED] Minimum files to distribute and how to set application icon  (Read 15189 times)

pasquale

• Esposito Software
Re: Minimum files to distribute and application icon
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2012, 11:11:08 pm »
I'm very sorry but I have no experience with code like that. Where should I write it?

To clarify what I'm trying to explain, please find attached a screenshot showing the file I would like to get rid of.

Do you confirm that its presence is needed by any bundles created by Lazarus? And is it the file that your code would move into the bundle?

Thanks a lot.
Apple loves breaking backward compatibility to make money. If you want to be sure that your apps will never stop working, use Windows and trash macOS!

Phil

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2012, 11:15:56 pm »
I'm very sorry but I have no experience with code like that. Where should I write it?

That's from a terminal command line.

To do with Finder, right-click your app and choose Show Package Contents. Then navigate to where the symlink is (it will have the little symlink arrow). Delete the symlink. Copy the actual executable into the same place. Now it should be self-sufficient.

Thanks.

-Phil

pasquale

• Esposito Software
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2012, 11:22:38 pm »
I'll try and let you know. You've been very helpful.

Thanks.
Apple loves breaking backward compatibility to make money. If you want to be sure that your apps will never stop working, use Windows and trash macOS!

jwdietrich

• formatio reticularis
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2012, 11:23:19 pm »

This is Unix shell code. You can use it within the Terminal app.

A simpler alternative is the finder way to replace the alias with the binary (therefore embedding or "hiding" it in the bundle).

It consists in two steps:

1. Open the bundle's contents with a context menu (by right klicking or ctrl klicking) using the entry "Show Package Contents".

2. Replace the alias in Contents/MacOS/ (within the bundle) with the original binary file outside the bundle.

See attached screen shots for additional information.
function GetRandomNumber: integer; // xkcd.com
begin
  GetRandomNumber := 4; // chosen by fair dice roll. Guaranteed to be random.
end;

http://www.formatio-reticularis.de

Lazarus 2.2.6 | FPC 3.2.2 | PPC, Intel, ARM | macOS, Windows, Linux

pasquale

• Esposito Software
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2012, 07:41:07 am »
Great. Now it's all clear. I'm beginning to understand how it works and, considering I only bought my iMac last Saturday (and I had never touched one in my life), I feel "gratified".

Thank you very much indeed.

=======
By the way, I forgot to tell you that the procedure described by jwdietrich to replace the alias with the binary worked perfectly.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 04:00:43 pm by pasquale »

jwdietrich

• formatio reticularis
Re: [RESOLVED] Minimum files to distribute and how to set application icon
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2012, 07:52:19 pm »
By the way, I forgot to tell you that the procedure described by jwdietrich to replace the alias with the binary worked perfectly.

Great, I am glad to read this.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 07:54:05 pm by jwdietrich »
function GetRandomNumber: integer; // xkcd.com
begin
  GetRandomNumber := 4; // chosen by fair dice roll. Guaranteed to be random.
end;

http://www.formatio-reticularis.de

Lazarus 2.2.6 | FPC 3.2.2 | PPC, Intel, ARM | macOS, Windows, Linux

TinyPortal © 2005-2018