Recent

Author Topic: Is there really anybody using Lazarus for Mac os x ?  (Read 16091 times)

sinfoni

Is there really anybody using Lazarus for Mac os x ?
« on: May 29, 2010, 05:29:22 am »
If yes, do you use it for professional project ?
Let me know please. For me, it seems to be fully unstable and unusable for this kind of use. 

André.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 03:59:07 am by sinfoni »

bee

Re: Is there really anybody using Lazarus for Mac os x ?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 08:45:56 am »
I'm using Lazarus on Mac since v.0.9.26 and since Leopard. Now I'm using Lazarus v.0.9.28.3 with Snow Leopard. It's all running fine, including debugger. I'm using it almost daily to write professional web apps. I don't write desktop apps, not because Lazarus unable to write desktop app, but simply because my clients want web apps. :)
-Bee-

A long time pascal lover.

skalogryz

• Global Moderator
    • havefunsoft.com
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 09:05:33 am »
If yes, do you use it for professional project ?
http://wnsoft.com/

Lazarus is used as IDE for the developing.

bee

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 09:26:14 am »
@skalogryz: Are you using Mac to write Windows app? That's interesting.
-Bee-

A long time pascal lover.

fredycc

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 09:43:40 am »
I have one application running with Leopard connected to Firebird database; I use Lazreport for some reports thats display pictures directly from the database; the database is running over Windows Xp others OpenSuse; By the moment I'm try to buil some web app; some dificult to me  :-[.

I don't work over hardware mac; all my machines are virtualized, but I can test my app before try to install to my clients.

skalogryz

• Global Moderator
    • havefunsoft.com
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 10:38:33 am »
@skalogryz: Are you using Mac to write Windows app? That's interesting.
no :) originally Delphi is used. PTE allows to create Mac slideshows. The Mac player for the slideshows is developed using Lazarus on Mac.

Though, sometimes i do build Windows apps on Mac, just to safe the time. My colleagues are using http://sourceforge.net/projects/devwork/ for the team work. Whenever a new feature is required (or a bug fixed), I compile 2 versions on Mac the one for myself and Windows version for the others (without any reboots, just switching OS Target in Compiler Options)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 10:42:20 am by skalogryz »

jwdietrich

• formatio reticularis
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 06:16:09 am »
In 2008, the SPINA project (http://spina.sourceforge.net/en/) switched from CodeWarrior (for Mac OS X), Delphi (for Windows) and Kylix (for Linux) to Lazarus.

This step saved a lot of the work that was previously necessary for the reimplementation of the same function on different platforms. By using some compiler directives it is possible to write a full-featured Mac application while sharing the same code base with the Windows and Linux versions. Only for Palm OS a different IDE, winsoft PocketStudio (http://www.winsoft.sk/pstudio.htm), is necessary as Lazarus doesn't support this platform, but still some code portions can be reused.

In reply to the first post in this thread, Lazarus proved to be very stable and reliable.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 10:38:51 am by jwdietrich »
function GetRandomNumber: integer; // xkcd.com
begin
  GetRandomNumber := 4; // chosen by fair dice roll. Guaranteed to be random.
end;

http://www.formatio-reticularis.de

Lazarus 2.2.6 | FPC 3.2.2 | PPC, Intel, ARM | macOS, Windows, Linux

cpalx

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 03:04:30 pm »
Actually we are working with lazarus in Snow Leopard, our software must work in Windows and Mac. Antil now we have one problem Scrollbox does not work perfectly, specificly when you create some panels in run time, doesnot display the scrollbars. We reported that bug.

Ignoring thar bug, until now, works good

Eugene Kryukov

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 08:28:14 am »
Hello,

All our software was made using Lazarus for Mac OS X and our libraries VGScene and DXScene (www.ksdev.com)

Our Software - www.binerus.com

Eugene

windy

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 07:24:28 pm »
I have created a Mac version of my software using Lazarus :)
(www.weather-display.com)
thanks to the great help here over the years :)

skalogryz

• Global Moderator
    • havefunsoft.com
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 09:32:04 pm »
I have created a Mac version of my software using Lazarus :)
(www.weather-display.com)
thanks to the great help here over the years :)
Now that explains your nick :)

laztest

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 04:23:47 am »
My open source medical imaging tools are built with Lazarus and compile to Windows, OSX and Linux. I find the OSX implementation stable

http://www.cabiatl.com/mricro/mricron/index.html
http://www.cabiatl.com/mricrogl/

MrF

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, 12:03:12 pm »
I am trying to run Lazarus on Mac OSX.
I have Xcode installed.
I unpacked the dmg files.
I ran the compiler.
I can build forms.

But I can't find any help specific to the Mac version.
I can't get it to work properly.
I followed the tute on Youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiBdKwYn99o
and created the simplest project ever.
When he presses run, the thing runs.
When I hit run, it says "compiling" then "debugging"
In the Messages window, it says project 1 successfully built.
But nothing else happens! The form does not appear.
I kept clicking around

There isn't a single tutorial for the Mac Version. And the help just refers you to the Windows/Linux general help. Could someone please let me know how to start developing on this thing?  :(

felipemdc

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, 01:27:06 pm »
Does your project have an application bundle? Open the Console from Mac OS X and go to the folder where your application is and do "ls -l" and post the result here.

If there is no application bundle create it by going to Lazarus in the menu Project->Project Options click the button "Create Application Bundle"

Then start your bundle from the command line with GDB, like this:

gdb MyApp.app
run

Also, next time please create a new thread instead of reusing an older one.

Hansaplast

• Tweaking4All.com
    • Tweaking4All
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2012, 05:02:11 pm »
I've been using Lazarus on and off for my private little projects and absolutely love that I can recompile on Windows and Linux after completion. For example Name My TV Series for proper renaming of TV series AVI/MKV/MP4/etc files.

Yes, I found some minor issues when switching between Operating Systems, but nothing major - it's usually something cosmetic.

I do use Delphi 2007 in my professional environment. The main reasons;

- Lazarus for MacOS still experiences minor issue (it's version 0.9x after all) which makes it that I typically need to work with nightly builds - which often conflicts with my previous installed version (due to my lack of insight how to do things correctly on the Mac) and I manage to make a mess of my computer. That's why I started running Lazarus in a virtual machine (VMWare Fusion allows to install MacOS X Lion and runs very smooth).

- Components I use are not or partial compatible with Lazarus or just a pain to install (FastReport, MyDAC, SMComponents, TeeChart) and sometimes these components (if you manage to get them to work) to only work on one or two platforms.

From a users perspective I find Lazarus to still need some fine-tuning in setup (mainly the nightly builds) and adding components. It's just less convenient than for example Delphi. I also find the IDE to be very un-Mac, but as a Windows user I have no issues with that.

But having said that: I do absolutely love Lazarus, and I think the devs are doing a great job. Can't wait to see what the future will bring (iOS or Android anyone?). I also find the support in this forum great; responsive and very knowledgeable.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018