Recent

Author Topic: Wish list: Eclipse-style unit tests; clear project structure.  (Read 18409 times)

CaptBill

Re: Wish list: Eclipse-style unit tests; clear project structure.
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2012, 10:11:13 am »
It would take some ingenuity on your part to figure out the details for what you want. I just feel that Tinycore would be a great platform to start from for these types of scenarios/setups.

Possibly a virtual machine would be a simple strategy. Tinycore boots so fast and can be scripted (no VitualBox), would be the ideal scenario.

I think it could be a good foundation to achieve your goal and an ideal approach, was my idea.

Juha,
I see your point about being OS independent.

Sorry for delay in answering.

Cheers
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 11:11:40 am by CaptBill »

mvampire

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2012, 10:21:17 am »
... Tinycore ...

Please do not write this spam here anymore. I don't see any relevance of Linux distro you propose with my question about integration of unit tests in Lazarus IDE.

CaptBill

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2012, 12:13:29 pm »
Ok then.

How about you just learn standard testing practices instead then, when your not so busy.(unit testing, sheesh!)

Almost sounds like you are trying to find faults with Lazarus, and asking questions that are silly and expect it to program itself, like Eclipse apparently does.

And filed a bug?

« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 12:19:41 pm by CaptBill »

mvampire

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2012, 02:00:31 pm »
Thanks.

How about you just learn standard testing practices instead then, when your not so busy.(unit testing, sheesh!)

Hm, I undestand that I know just basics, but I don't need more for my job and study now. I just have other tasks with higher priority.

Almost sounds like you are trying to find faults with Lazarus, and asking questions that are silly and expect it to program itself, like Eclipse apparently does.

I'm a student and my topic is BGP (routing protocol). I have written a program (for myself, to calculate some statistics I was interested in) to analyse huge number of BGP messages. I made it in Lazarus, because Pascal was the only language I knew good. And all questions I asked - were real questions, which I couldn't solve by myself or find any other solution.

Also I'm currenty working as Java Developer (I have only about 1 year experience), I use Eclipse.

Now my Pascal program become quite big (4000 lines) and I needed to test it, because I wanted to publish results. And I need to trust the results. That's why I needed testing, also unit tests for several modules. When I started with Unit tests in Lazarus I noticed that it could be much more comfortable, so I decided to write a suggestion, that's it.

And filed a bug?

Not bug, but feature request (which was suggested by Leledumbo) on the bugtracker.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 02:04:36 pm by mvampire »

felipemdc

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2012, 03:12:46 pm »
Can I ask if there are any plans for this? If not, is it possible to plan it? ;) Generally, if somebody wants some feature, which steps he can do to put his wish into the project roadmap? Which criterias it should pass to be accepted?

I think that your best chance is to simply write the feature yourself and send the code.

P.S. If I, in some (not near) future will have time for it, can I start/try to implement it by myself? How to start then (but please don't describe it too precisely, because even if I will have sufficient skills for it, I probably have no time for it now)?

Yes, sure. I think it should be implemented as a package which acts as an IDE add on. I never wrote one myself, so I dont know where this is documented how to do that.

Here is one such bug report where someone sent us a new Lazarus package which is an IDE add-on: http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=21138

You could use this code as a starting point to check how IDE add-ons work if noone else has better suggestions.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018