Recent

Author Topic: BiDi support  (Read 6700 times)

EZ

BiDi support
« on: February 17, 2004, 10:52:48 am »
I've just read a bit about the project and I think it's a great effort.

One thing I've noticed is that there's no support for BiDi (Right-To-Left languages such as Hebrew and Arabic).

BiDi/RTL support is important not only for Delphi compatability, but also for overall acceptance of Lazarus as a complete class library. Most software is written today with the international audience in mind, and lack of BiDi support (and other internationalization/localization hooks) will keep many developers away.

Delphi's BiDi model is Ok and can serve as an example. It's not fully implemented by Borland (eg. TreeView, ActionBands and some other controls don't support RTL) but the basic concept is not bad.

Recent versions of GTK and Qt fully support Right-To-Left orientation, and as much as I hate to say it Windoze supports RTL for many years now. It's better to tackle this issue now, as later it may require too many design changes.

Once again - Lazarus is a great project and I'd really love to use it some day (but all my apps are Bidi...)

Eyal

Anonymous

BiDi support
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2004, 03:28:54 pm »
As far as I know GTK2 supports BiDi but GTK+ does not.

Whilst GTK+ is deprecated and lazarus should reflect that, a lot of older machines do require the speed of GTK+.

GTK2 under Lazarus is some way off from being ready but it should have some support for BiDi...

TinyPortal © 2005-2018