Recent

Author Topic: Microsoft to open source .NET  (Read 4000 times)

taazz

Microsoft to open source .NET
« on: November 14, 2014, 03:56:57 pm »
Microsoft is open sourcing .NET core libraries.
http://www.extremetech.com/computing/194099-microsoft-makes-net-open-source-finally-embraces-ios-android-and-linux
This will make the plain even harder for compiled languages now that the muilti language core is open sourced, the market for clean compiled environments will shrink to embedded devices and home electronic projects.
Good judgement is the result of experience … Experience is the result of bad judgement.

Laz: Lazarus 1.4.4 FPC 2.6.4 i386-win32-win32/win64

jwdietrich

• formatio reticularis
Re: Microsoft to open source .NET
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 05:08:05 pm »
It depends. Compiled code will still have advantages, e.g. in high-performance computing.

BTW, it is possible to use Free Pascal code from .NET, and FPC would still be my preferred environement.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 05:13:28 pm by jwdietrich »
function GetRandomNumber: integer; // xkcd.com
begin
  GetRandomNumber := 4; // chosen by fair dice roll. Guaranteed to be random.
end;

http://www.formatio-reticularis.de

Lazarus 2.2.6 | FPC 3.2.2 | PPC, Intel, ARM | macOS, Windows, Linux

Never

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 07:03:38 pm »
imho
M* is not a charity institution is a making money machine
 all these years companies went down because they made the wrong desiscion to work with M*'s tools and weren't able to follow the "new" things introduced from M*
so what i read behind these line is this
[M* soon will make public its new tech in programming world and because they do not want to happen what happened with VB6  they made .Net opensource]

also this states clearly that [ opensource is going biger ] and [ M* trying to produce more C# developers ]

so [ same people same story ]

ps/ is a common practice to give some cheese to get the mice [and yes is a mice for M* the opensource community] and M* want this mice dead because is lessing their money making capabilities

Νέπε Λάζαρε λάγγεψων οξωκά ο φίλοσ'ς αραεύσε

mica

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 08:09:13 pm »
I think the Open Source infrastructure of the windows eco system is not strong enough for this framework.

Look at the windows centric Delphi community.

The Linux developers are more interested in open  source, windows developer are more interested in closed source

taazz

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 12:25:27 am »
I think the Open Source infrastructure of the windows eco system is not strong enough for this framework.

Look at the windows centric Delphi community.

The Linux developers are more interested in open  source, windows developer are more interested in closed source

Open sourcing the core of .NET does not target the windows developers/users. It is a way to inflitrate the new embedded market that blooms with the smart phones in the front line and this is the strategic reason for this action, they also have a contract with Novel that gives them access to mono and its development which gives them access to xamarin and various embedded targets. If the open source community do give back 1% of what ms is putting in then Visual studio will be at the top of the multiplatform list for decades to come and this is an other target of theirs, they will find a way to push the market the windows again even if that means that they will open source part of that operating system. In the long run who ever betted on MS and managed to stay current is in a good spot and with this move will be in an even better one in the future.

As for the compiled code advantages they become less and less relevant every year especially with the JIT becoming more and more powerful and the fact that JITed code has the opportunity to do last minute and CPU specific enhancements that compiled does not be sure that your current advantages will be flatten in the near future at least for end user applications we still have the upper hand in embedded hardware and I think that we should focus more on that market instead of chasing after multiplatform which is a game of quantity and we can't compete.
Good judgement is the result of experience … Experience is the result of bad judgement.

Laz: Lazarus 1.4.4 FPC 2.6.4 i386-win32-win32/win64

TinyPortal © 2005-2018