Recent

Author Topic: Fresh System Installation Questions  (Read 6792 times)

CaptBill

Fresh System Installation Questions
« on: September 17, 2011, 03:06:22 am »
Hi all,

I want to do a full re-install and configure the most optimal environment for Lazarus programming. My idea is to use ArchLinux as the base OS and want to optimize for virtual machine performance (for hosting platform emulation for cross-compiler testing mainly in mind.)

The idea is to have a highly configurable yet minimalist system that can manage the unique challenges of cross-compiling utilizing VMs.

My main concern is which is the optimal base machine currently. Should I play it safe with a 32 bit OS or should I go with the 64 bit. I am on a rather old system (2.4 celeron, 2gb ram, nvidia card, 140gb hd).

Is the 64 bit system too bleeding edge for what I have to work from maybe?

Thanks in advance

mas steindorff

Re: Fresh System Installation Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 03:38:21 am »
I'm not sure about "ArchLinux" but the win64 package does not come with a debugger. It can however generate executables
windows 10 &11, Ubuntu 21+ - fpc 3.0.4, IDE 2.0 general releases

CaptBill

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 04:01:43 am »
I'm not sure about "ArchLinux" but the win64 package does not come with a debugger. It can however generate executables

Thanks. That solves that then. 32 bits it is.

How about partitioning my drives? I plan on going larger with the /root partition than I did last time, say like 20gb this time instead of ten.
Any thoughts on optimum drive arrangement for a VBox environment before I commit?

Thanks again.

Zoran

• http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/User:Zoran
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 10:04:04 pm »

I'm not sure about ArchLinux either, I have only 32-bit Ubuntu, but on Windows 64-bit system has its advantages — you can install 32-bit Lazarus and generate both 32-bit and 64-bit executables.

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 08:47:13 am »
64-bit OS usually could run its 32-bit counterpart, so you have the advantage of debugging 32-bit programs there. If you stay on 32-bit, you can only generate 64-bit executables, but you can neither run nor debug it.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018