Recent

Author Topic: Pascal at your Country  (Read 38392 times)

braximo

Pascal at your Country
« on: September 19, 2011, 12:11:55 pm »
Hello community!

I'm just curious how is Pascal (in terms of Job popularity) in your country? In the Philippines, it is somehow NOT that in-demand. In the market share of the PL being preferred by hiring employers (in the Philippines), less than 5% of them are looking for Pascal developers which is really sad. At my work place, I shifted to Lazarus/FPC from MS which was what they usually use.
Ubuntu 16.04 Lazarus 1.6

BlueIcaro

• Blog personal
Re: Pascal at your Country
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 12:36:48 pm »
I Spain, there aren't any job for Pascal Programmers. The jobs offerer are for .net (asp, c#, etc). java, web, etc. Some works, a few, are for Delphi programmers. But nothing for Lazarus.

/BlueIcaro

P.D. May be, this is the reason that I don't work as PC's programmer  :-[

kodok_buncit

• fajardelphiscript
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 12:39:55 pm »
i'm Indonesia
the situation is same as BlueIcairo

i work as php programmer in my office and coding freepascal at home :D
Peace and blessings be upon you all

TurboRascal

• "Good sysadmin. Bad programmer."™
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 01:19:27 pm »
Here in Croatia there is some demand for Pascal programmers, because Delphi used to be extremely popular so there is still much Delphi codebase. Unfortunately, the market is dying because M$ stuff has become dominant...
Regards, ArNy the Turbo Rascal
-
"The secret is to give them what they need, not what they want." - Scotty, STTNG:Relics

herux

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 03:51:38 pm »
I am indonesian, I work as a programmer delphi and/or Lazarus/FreePascal.
yes we use both  8)

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 06:26:26 pm »
In Indonesia as well, it's really MS (.NET) and Java slave. PHP ranks next, then VB, C/C++ and also some Delphi. I've only seen Lazarus/FPC once in a while (from blind googling), which I couldn't find the job offer anymore anywhere.

Rails

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 06:57:52 pm »
Typing pascal into monster.com's job search returned 125 job hits in the US. I did not look at all of them, so some could be misleading, i.e, pascal is part of the business name, etc. The few I did look at appeared to be the real thing, Delphi jobs in the main.

Other languages:

F#              740
Cobol         305
Fortran        69
Modula          0    (all flavors)
Smalltalk     15
Oberon          0
Algol             0
Lisp             26
Erlang         23

Popular languages such as C, C++, PHP, Python, Java, Perl, etc all returned 1,000+

Languages with names such as forth, basic, and ada have other meanings and did not provide reliable numbers.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 10:22:26 pm by Rails »

Dibo

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 07:12:52 pm »
In Poland I did not have much trouble to find a job in Delphi. I know 6 companies in my region that use Delphi. But of course Pascal it is not the most popular language.
Some time ago I saw job offer which mentioned about Lazarus and Free Pascal but too far :/

Sora-Kun

• I can smell your presence ...
    • Sora-Kun
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 08:42:24 pm »
We have none in Tunisia xD
It's because programming is still new here, and people want to use the most powerful languages like C++ and Java, also WinDev.

We learn pascal in high school, and @ university, we learn C/C++, Java, PHP,  etc, so people generally forget how to deal with Pascal.
if nothing suites you, make it your self!
The Revolution, Genesis. The next generation IDE.
If you want to help, PM me.

Made in Lazarus.
Soon, in The WWW.

mas steindorff

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 10:24:17 pm »
Likewise, it also hard for find someone who has any pascal coding experience for entry level positions.  The schools in this area (USA) all teach "wed design" and cloud related software to keep on the cutting edge making it difficult to find a real programmer :).  Most of my peer's view is that pascal is good for small and medium level programs but you should use one of the MS tools for big windoze projects.

In reality, for most users Pascal is a tool, not an occupation, especially for windoze.  The companies around here that create supported software want a compiler that has customer support and "out of house" training so their software produces will not stagnate.  They have full time software teams that deal with windoze updates on a weekly level and want something that will automatically fix itself if possible (one can dream).  I see this attitude slowly changing as they look at the popularity of the non-MS OS of the smart phones and tablets (cloud) but not directly in the FP direction (today).

FP is headed in the right direction with it's multi OS support. just waiting for rev 1.00 :)
windows 7/10 - laz 2.0 / 1.2.6 general releases

Zaher

• parmaja.org
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 06:50:27 pm »
In Syria and most Arabic countries, Pascal/Delphi is dead, programmers work on Pascal are like Dinosaurs.
For me i will not learn Pascal to my kids.

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2011, 10:17:10 pm »
I work in a Pascal/Delphi shop in the Netherlands.

But when we search new programmers, we advertise for C++ people, simply because we know that way that we get people somewhat close to the level we search
... and not Java/VB/C# people that don't know anything else. Or worse, people only knowing scripting languages.

Don't buy into rankings too much. People advertise for classes of programmers, and less for the language itself.

fredycc

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 03:48:55 am »
In my country, Mexico is the same case: Java Developer J2EE, SAP Basis,. Net, PHP, Ruby on Rails Developers are the most wanted, I work with. Net in the company where I work, but I use Pascal (Delphi or Lazarus) in other projects in my work or personal projects very useful for my work.

I work with MS SQL Server, but when I can I prefer to use Firebird and SQLite. In my opinion the same applies to programming languages.

Currently working on an SMS system for collecting payments VB.Net (for labor issues), but nothing that can not do with Lazarus and FPC or Delphi.

I love this great project  :)

TurboRascal

• "Good sysadmin. Bad programmer."™
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 11:32:30 am »
The companies around here that create supported software want a compiler that has customer support and "out of house" training so their software produces will not stagnate.  They have full time software teams that deal with windoze updates on a weekly level and want something that will automatically fix itself if possible (one can dream). 

How wrong they are... Many "supported" products have gone into oblivion creating headaches for their users. It almost happened with Delphi too! Lazarus and FreePascal can never leave someone hanging like that, that's the magic of open source - even if all this becomes abandoned (perish the thought), a large software project could still compile and fix the tool they used themselves!

FP is headed in the right direction with it's multi OS support. just waiting for rev 1.00 :)

I guess you mean, Lazarus 1.00, not FP ;)
Regards, ArNy the Turbo Rascal
-
"The secret is to give them what they need, not what they want." - Scotty, STTNG:Relics

mas steindorff

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2011, 07:22:43 pm »
The companies around here that create supported software want a compiler that has customer support and "out of house" training so their software produces will not stagnate.  They have full time software teams that deal with windoze updates on a weekly level and want something that will automatically fix itself if possible (one can dream). 

How wrong they are... Many "supported" products have gone into oblivion creating headaches for their users.
I agree (but then I claim to be a firmware programmer, not software)

I guess you mean, Lazarus 1.00, not FP ;)
yes, it's just a little jab,  It's the Rev a new user sees when he gets this pascel stuff from sourceforge
windows 7/10 - laz 2.0 / 1.2.6 general releases

TinyPortal © 2005-2018