Recent

Author Topic: TRichMemo - add line by line  (Read 15385 times)

mdalacu

• dmSimpleApps
TRichMemo - add line by line
« on: September 14, 2011, 12:42:47 pm »
Hi, i need a simple example or a hint regarding adding lines in a TRichMemo with different styles or colors.
I have tried everyting..it is such a simple task and i can't do it.. :'(
I need something like this (pseudocode):
 RichMemo.Lines.Clear;
 RichMemo1.SetTextAttributes(style1);
 RichMemo.Lines.('Sample text 1');
 RichMemo1.SetTextAttributes(style2);
 RichMemo.Lines.('Sample text 2');
 .. and so on...

Thank you!

Arbee

Re: TRichMemo - add line by line
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 01:44:06 pm »
I have not used Richmemo very often, but this (in my eyes terribly dirty) coding works to get lines in different colors:

Code: [Select]
  with Richmemo1 do begin
     clear;
     SetRangeColor(0,1000,clRed);
     Append('Line in red');
     SelStart := 999999;
     SetRangeColor(SelStart,1000,clBlue);
     Append('Line in blue');
     SelStart := 999999;
     SetRangeColor(SelStart,1000,clGreen);
     Append('Line in green');
   end;
1.0/2.6.0  XP SP3 & OS X 10.6.8

mdalacu

• dmSimpleApps
Re: TRichMemo - add line by line with different colors
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 03:45:13 pm »
Thank you for your replay, it works. :D
 I have updated the example a bit, it's a little bit faster:
    with RichMemo1 do
      begin
        Clear;
        Lines.Add('Line in red');
        SetRangeColor(Length(RichMemo1.Lines.Text)-Length(RichMemo1.Lines[RichMemo1.Lines.Count-1])-RichMemo1.Lines.Count-1,Length(RichMemo1.Lines[RichMemo1.Lines.Count-1]),clRed);

Lines.Add('Line in black ');
        SetRangeColor(Length(RichMemo1.Lines.Text)-Length(RichMemo1.Lines[RichMemo1.Lines.Count-1])-RichMemo1.Lines.Count-1,Length(RichMemo1.Lines[RichMemo1.Lines.Count-1]),clBlack);

Lines.Add('Line in blue ');
        SetRangeColor(Length(RichMemo1.Lines.Text)-Length(RichMemo1.Lines[RichMemo1.Lines.Count-1])-RichMemo1.Lines.Count-1,Length(RichMemo1.Lines[RichMemo1.Lines.Count-1]),clBlue);

Lines.Add('Line in green ');
        SetRangeColor(Length(RichMemo1.Lines.Text)-Length(RichMemo1.Lines[RichMemo1.Lines.Count-1])-RichMemo1.Lines.Count-1,Length(RichMemo1.Lines[RichMemo1.Lines.Count-1]),clGreen);

Lines.Add('Line in yellow ');
        SetRangeColor(Length(RichMemo1.Lines.Text)-Length(RichMemo1.Lines[RichMemo1.Lines.Count-1])-RichMemo1.Lines.Count-1,Length(RichMemo1.Lines[RichMemo1.Lines.Count-1]),clYellow);

Lines.Add('Normal line.');
        Lines.Add('Line in gray');
        SetRangeColor(Length(RichMemo1.Lines.Text)-Length(RichMemo1.Lines[RichMemo1.Lines.Count-1])-RichMemo1.Lines.Count-1,Length(RichMemo1.Lines[RichMemo1.Lines.Count-1]),clGray);
      end;
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 03:47:01 pm by mdalacu »

User137

• Nxpascal home
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 11:14:17 am »
Just a sidenote, you have the whole code in "with RichMemo1 do", so you don't need to call RichMemo1 inside it  :)

If you only need to color 10 or less lines with the code its fast enough, but overuse of length() should be avoided. You can use variables to save last index position.

mdalacu

• dmSimpleApps
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 12:12:17 pm »
you are right, here is the updated example:
with RichMemo1 do
      begin
        Clear;
        Lines.Add('Line in red');
        SetRangeColor(Length(Lines.Text)-Length(Lines[Lines.Count-1])-Lines.Count-1,Length(Lines[Lines.Count-1]),clRed);

Lines.Add('Line in black ');
        SetRangeColor(Length(Lines.Text)-Length(Lines[Lines.Count-1])-Lines.Count-1,Length(Lines[Lines.Count-1]),clBlack);

Lines.Add('Line in blue ');
        SetRangeColor(Length(Lines.Text)-Length(Lines[Lines.Count-1])-Lines.Count-1,Length(Lines[Lines.Count-1]),clBlue);

Lines.Add('Line in green ');
        SetRangeColor(Length(Lines.Text)-Length(Lines[Lines.Count-1])-Lines.Count-1,Length(Lines[Lines.Count-1]),clGreen);

Lines.Add('Line in yellow ');
        SetRangeColor(Length(Lines.Text)-Length(Lines[Lines.Count-1])-Lines.Count-1,Length(Lines[Lines.Count-1]),clYellow);

Lines.Add('Line in gray');
        SetRangeColor(Length(Lines.Text)-Length(Lines[Lines.Count-1])-Lines.Count-1,Length(Lines[Lines.Count-1]),clGray);
      end;             

For Linux you have to modify the line like this:
SetRangeColor(Length(Lines.Text)-Length(Lines[Lines.Count-1])-1,Length(Lines[Lines.Count-1]),clYellow);And also for the component to compile under Ubuntu you have to replace gtk2richmemo with the one attached.

Anyway, Lazarus really needs an updated component capable of displaying formatted text.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 01:52:28 pm by mdalacu »

evoshroom

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 11:24:17 pm »
Anyway, Lazarus really needs an updated component capable of displaying formatted text.

I wholeheartedly agree.

I've found Richmemo to be great on Mac, but on Windows is where it seems lacking and it needs a way to add links and pics.

Is there a way to not count carriage returns as characters on Windows?  It seems the default behavior is the carriage returns don't count on Mac but do count on Windows, requiring separate $IFDEF'ed codebases.

Also, have you found any way to add line-by-line on Windows using more than one color per line and where it doesn't first add the line in one color and then change it (this looks horrible for users, but only seems to affect Windows)?

Lagavulin16

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 04:26:44 pm »
From mdalacu's sample:

SetRangeColor(Length(Lines.Text)-Length(Lines[Lines.Count-1])-Lines.Count-1,Length(Lines[Lines.Count-1]),clRed);
Excuse my ignorance but what is this "-Lines.Count-1" for?

taazz

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 09:53:50 pm »
From mdalacu's sample:

Excuse my ignorance but what is this "-Lines.Count-1" for?
assumption warning

the number of LF chars?
its heavily OS depended since in windows this should multiplied by 2
Good judgement is the result of experience … Experience is the result of bad judgement.

Laz: Lazarus 1.4.4 FPC 2.6.4 i386-win32-win32/win64

p95x

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 07:42:48 pm »
Hello,

as a solution for your issue, you can look at my procedure I have written and added to RichMemo.pas

Here, I have posted the functions:
http://www.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,19446.0.html

TinyPortal © 2005-2018