Recent

Author Topic: zeoslib + lazarus -cant create object file when linking  (Read 5701 times)

mtdew3q

zeoslib + lazarus -cant create object file when linking
« on: October 10, 2005, 05:49:44 am »
Hi -
i gave installing zeoslib another shot.  this time when i am linking i get this error message:
after i open package file zcomponent.lpk and choose install-> compile-> yes

/home/thirdshift/lazarus/ide/lazarus.pp(103,1) Error: Can't create object file: ../units/i386-linux/lazarus.o
/home/thirdshift/lazarus/ide/lazarus.pp(103,1) Fatal: Can't create object ../units/i386-linux/lazarus.o

the error message appears highlited at the end of
program Lazarus;

it happens when i am asked the question do i want to rebuild lazarus and have lazarus restart automatically.

am i really close?  this time i got newer versions of fpc and lazarus.

any help is sure appreciated.
thanks,
jim

mtdew3q

zeoslib cant create object file when linking SOLVED
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 06:45:06 am »
hi-

i see the zeos controls on my ide pallete.

right after i wrote the email i thought maybe it is the darn permissions again.  i really should find someone who lives close by that knows this crazy linux.  i logged out of my regular user account and logged back in as root and this time it linked.  why in the world does it need root permission to link?

i'd like to know how to switch to root on the fly without having to logout out of my 3rdshift user and log back in as root with the bombs everywhere.  i'm guessing bombs are bad but i am not up to speed on everything i need to be doing to keep the bombs away.
(this happens in suse when i log in as root and launch the desktop).

i better get busy and do more reading on linux.  i have the next 2 days off so i will read then.

thanks everyone in the forums for helping,
jim

matthijs

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 07:42:50 am »
Once you build Lazarus as root, the ownership is set to root. What you need to do is give the ownership back to your user. For that you use the shell command: chown. You need to run this as root of course. :)
Have a look at the man-pages for an explanation of chown.
What's in a sig? Would my posting look less if it didnot have a sig? (Free after William S.) :)

:( Why cannot I upload my own Avatar? :(

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 08:14:10 am »
thanks for the tip and command.
goodnight,
jim

TinyPortal © 2005-2018