Forum > QT

QT and Lazarus

(1/3) > >>

Takeda:
Today, I planning to porting my app to be available for QT (Due my Cross-Platform planning)..

I saw Lazarus give the opportunity of it.. So this is good sound for me..

My questions :
1). Can I built commercial app using QT OpenSource Edition, (since QT now also available as LGPL)??

2). I saw QT Release new version (QT 4.7.3), so I download it), I also download FPC QT4 Binding (The latest binary binding library)=> QT4Pas5.dll v2.4. But I saw in the Binary Binding package QT4.pas (an unit for QT4 Binding) then I take look into Lazarus I saw the same Unit (QT4.pas and it refers to QT45.pas). What should I do if I want to use QT 4.7.3 + FPC QT4Binding (The latest)? Should I use QT4.pas which shipped inside Lazarus or I must replace it using the new which shipped with FPC QT4 Binding package?

Regards,
Takeda.

Leledumbo:

--- Quote ---1). Can I built commercial app using QT OpenSource Edition, (since QT now also available as LGPL)??
--- End quote ---
Hmm... I don't know if QT is now LGPL, if that's so, then yes you should be allowed to.

--- Quote ---What should I do if I want to use QT 4.7.3 + FPC QT4Binding (The latest)? Should I use QT4.pas which shipped inside Lazarus or I must replace it using the new which shipped with FPC QT4 Binding package?
--- End quote ---
Better replace since the shipped one might be out of date.

Takeda:
Yes, I saw QT Now available in GNU LGPL.. :)

Well, should I to pay some dollar if I use QT as my app framework?

--- Quote ---Better replace since the shipped one might be out of date.

--- End quote ---

Is there possible the problems arise? coz I'm afraid If I directly replace it then the problems will arise like we know that QT4.pas or QT45.pas is part of Lazarus Widgetset..

BTW, Thank you for your reply..

Regards,
takeda.

Troodon:
Qt4 is LGPL, which means that any application, commercial or not, can dynamically link the Qt shared libraries, free of charge. This also means that you cannot statically link those libraries in your application unless you pay licensing fees. To my knowledge, Lazarus/FPC generates statically-linked executables only.

There are advantages and disadvantages to using Qt over GTK+ in Lazarus/FPC applications. Advantages: increased performance with Qt; more "eye-candy" widgets; better compatibility with some ultramobile device OSes (at least in theory). Disadvantages: licensing restrictions (LGPL); less KDE than Gnome desktops installed (although this does not preclude having both Qt and GTK+ libraries on the same machine); Qt widget set incomplete in Lazarus. Also, your user may need to install the particular Qt library version that your application depends on. A similar situation exists on Windows for .NET applications when users find out that they need to install the latest .NET Framework to run a small application.

Takeda:

--- Quote from: Troodon on August 11, 2011, 10:45:47 pm ---Qt4 is LGPL, which means that any application, commercial or not, can dynamically link the Qt shared libraries, free of charge. This also means that you cannot statically link those libraries in your application unless you pay licensing fees. To my knowledge, Lazarus/FPC generates statically-linked executables only.

There are advantages and disadvantages to using Qt over GTK+ in Lazarus/FPC applications. Advantages: increased performance with Qt; more "eye-candy" widgets; better compatibility with some ultramobile device OSes (at least in theory). Disadvantages: licensing restrictions (LGPL); less KDE than Gnome desktops installed (although this does not preclude having both Qt and GTK+ libraries on the same machine); Qt widget set incomplete in Lazarus. Also, your user may need to install the particular Qt library version that your application depends on. A similar situation exists on Windows for .NET applications when users find out that they need to install the latest .NET Framework to run a small application.

--- End quote ---

In short word is => I must use QT4Pas5.dll in my app than use static lib in my app if my app is commercial purpose ??

Actually, I want to use GTK2+ than QT since Gtk2+ is so familiar for me.. But Gtk2+ is not yet give natural "look and feel" in different OSes. Gtk use their own Dialog Model than use the native Oses dialog.. Different with Gtk, QT is more "native" in different Oses.. That's the reason why I want to use QT than Gtk.. :D

Regards,
takeda.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version