Forum > Third party

TIOBE Programming Index merges Object Pascal and Delphi!

(1/15) > >>

Leledumbo:
See this month's index.  That's a good step. Now, they only need to merge Pascal as well, so we can beat JavaScript :D

zbyna:
It lasted nearly 9 year but now Delphi and FPC are splitted again:
https://www.tiobe.com/tiobe-index/
This Month's Changes in the Index
This month the following changes have been made to the definition of the index:
Ian pointed out that Delphi and Object Pascal have separate Wikipedia pages so they should also have different TIOBE index entries. As of this month Delphi and Object Pascal are split. Delphi is at position #22 and Object Pascal at position #73.
In my opinion Delphi and FPC are compilers for Object Pascal.  :o

avra:

--- Quote from: zbyna on April 06, 2020, 06:17:14 pm ---Ian pointed out that Delphi and Object Pascal have separate Wikipedia pages so they should also have different TIOBE index entries.
--- End quote ---
Weak argument. So GNU C++, Visual C++, C++ Builder, Watcom C++ and Think/Symantec C++ have separate wiki pages and still they all count under one C++ Tiobe index. Do they deserve to get separate Tiobe indexes? If wikipedia lists all Pascal compilers together here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_compilers#Pascal_compilers and FreePascal and Delphi are all Pascal compilers, that makes such argument even more absurd. They should not only be under one Tiobe index, but Delphi, Object Pascal and Pascal should be under single Tiobe index. Separation of Pascal from Delphi/ObjectPascal is the prisoner of C and C++ separation. C is still used in Linux and embedded world, while we can not say the same for good old Pascal. It is used mostly for learning and hasn't got much real use. And even for that learning modern compilers are used.

We should be aware that Embarcadero (or who ever owned Delphi IDE at the time) is guilty of separation between Delphi and Object Pascal since they started insisting calling their variation of Object Pascal language the Delphi language. It is not different language at all. There are more differences then that in C++ language between 2 C++ compilers. Delphi language (if we want to call it like that) is an extension to an Object Pascal (or dialect of it), as Object Pascal is an extension to plain Pascal. If I remember well, First Borland's hooray into OOP was called something like Turbo Pascal with Objects.

--- Quote from: zbyna on April 06, 2020, 06:17:14 pm ---In my opinion Delphi and FPC are compilers for Object Pascal.  :o
--- End quote ---
Let's just look into Think/Symantec C++ at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/THINK_C. As you can see it has originally extended C before it implemented a subset of C++. Do you think that they didn't call it C++ just because at first it supported only single inheritance? Of course they called it C++. And they had the right to call it. What strikes me is the fact that you have much better chances to compile the same visual application under Delphi and Lazarus/FreePascal then to compile some application with GNU and Microsoft C++ compiler, and yet both C++ compilers are in the single Tiobe index while that is not the case with Object Pascal and Delphi.

I have only one word for Tiobe's consistency in separation of Pascal, Object Pascal and Delphi - and that is discrimination.

jwdietrich:
The TIOBE index is a highly questionable construct. Its methodology is more than dubious.

avra:

--- Quote from: jwdietrich on April 06, 2020, 09:22:01 pm ---The TIOBE index is a highly questionable construct. Its methodology is more than dubious.
--- End quote ---
Yes, but big argument for non-pascal developers when language popularity needs to be quantified somehow and compared. There are no valid alternatives. That's why we need to try to correct that to have a more realistic situation.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version