Recent

Author Topic: Lazarus without installation  (Read 16965 times)

urban

Lazarus without installation
« on: June 23, 2011, 02:41:17 am »
Hello,

is it possible to use Lazarus without installing it by copying the program folder in Windows?

I need this because I want to use Lazarus in my old school for a little instruction into programming, but i don´t have administrator permissions...

Greetings, thanks for your help

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
Re: Lazarus without installation
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 03:16:24 am »
Yes, but....
You must make sure you configure a couple of things.

You can search for SVN install (same if you download sources...)
Or you (probably) can copy a folder from an installed lazarus.  (Read SVN install anyway)

In either case make sure, you have FPC as well (in case of an installation, it should be in the Lazarus folder)

Look for a file fpc.cfg it contains paths that you must adjust.
Then in lazarus, you must set up Lazarus director, fpc and stuff. All in the options dialog)

Also by default Lazarus writes your config in your user folder. use --primary-config-path=somedirectory (add to cmd line in windows shortcut properties)

While many thinks have been fixed, every now and then there are still issues with spaces in folder names. So if you can, avoid them.

lainz

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 07:17:20 pm »
Hello,

is it possible to use Lazarus without installing it by copying the program folder in Windows?

I need this because I want to use Lazarus in my old school for a little instruction into programming, but i don´t have administrator permissions...

Greetings, thanks for your help

But the lazarus setup for Windows doesn't requires administrative permissions.

eny

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 07:24:34 pm »
IIRC there's one dll related to Qt(?) that is stored in some windows system folder when selected during installation (or not deselected).
Although if you get an error message during installation Lazarus will still work.
All posts based on: Win10 (Win64); Lazarus 2.0.10 'stable' (x64) unless specified otherwise...

JD

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 07:47:40 pm »
IIRC there's one dll related to Qt(?) that is stored in some windows system folder when selected during installation (or not deselected).
Although if you get an error message during installation Lazarus will still work.

It is Qt4Pas5.dll. Lazarus still works fine without it.
Windows - Lazarus 2.1/FPC 3.2 (built using fpcupdeluxe),
Linux Mint - Lazarus 2.1/FPC 3.2 (built using fpcupdeluxe)

mORMot; Zeos 8; SQLite, PostgreSQL & MariaDB; VirtualTreeView

lainz

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 07:49:48 pm »
Also if you can't install lazarus in the default setup folder change it to..

If you are running Windows7 and you got acces to public folder:
C:\Users\Public\lazarus
C:\Users\Public\Documents\lazarus

Else use the current user account:
C:\Users\$USERNAME$\lazarus
C:\Users\$USERNAME$\Documents\lazarus

If you are running WindowsXP the folder is
C:\Documents and Settings\All users\lazarus
C:\Documents and Settings\All users\Documents\lazarus

The same, replace "All users" for "$USERNAME$" if you can't acces public folder.

urban

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 12:46:18 pm »
Thank you very much!! :)

I think I'll try first to install lazarus into a directory I can access.
If this doesn't work (I hope it does... ;) ) I'll try out Martin's solution with copying the program folder.

Greetings

mas steindorff

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 07:49:43 pm »
FYI: I remember seeing a post last year somewhere where Lazarus was installed and run from a thumb drive if that's more of what your after.
windows 10 &11, Ubuntu 21+ - fpc 3.0.4, IDE 2.0 general releases

urban

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 01:39:37 am »
Thank you, installation to a thumb drive could be a solution too...

Well, I just want a version of lazarus which can be installed/used as easy as possible without having administrator rights.

lainz

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 04:01:13 am »
There is a Lazarus Portable project with lazarus 0.9.30 (current for testing):

https://sourceforge.net/projects/lazarusportable/

User137

• Nxpascal home
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 12:24:54 pm »
There is a Lazarus Portable project with lazarus 0.9.30 (current for testing):

https://sourceforge.net/projects/lazarusportable/
That installfile (.paf), what format is that? It's same size as snapshot anyway that is 70mb, not compact.

I'm also looking for way to copy Lazarus on removable device but removing everything that's not needed. Meaning i will not need to build Lazarus from USB stick so propably some source folders and stuff could be removed. But i'm unsure what exactly are those folders, so is there any hints to that?

shaoziyang

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 12:45:08 pm »
You may also use X-Lazarus. It is make lazarus portable too.

http://www.winpenpack.com/en/download.php?view.728

User137

• Nxpascal home
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 06:51:38 pm »
Why does it need a launcher, i mean what does it do? I read the instructions and it also instructs copying the entire Lazarus folder contents in its bin\Lazarus\
The launcher when starts, complains of missing fpc.cfg, and path to FPC sources.
Aren't paths in fpc.cfg absolute? I mean, USB drive letter on different computers is different, so it wouldn't work?

I tried in the past and Lazarus already in itself works fine if you copy it entirely on USB, or extract it there with its installer. But still the problem here is that it's 636 Mb when extracted, or 17994 files in 1483 folders. I want to do what can to squeeze that down closer to 100 Mb or less if that's at all possible. Lazarus must be able to compile, run and debug only basic LCL applications, with no database component or tools support needed for the moment.

So is the only solution going through Lazarus folder by folder and see when it stops working?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 06:54:46 pm by User137 »

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2011, 01:19:04 am »
Why does it need a launcher, i mean what does it do?
It copies the configuration files and adjust the paths, backup-ing existing ones.
I read the instructions and it also instructs copying the entire Lazarus folder contents in its bin\Lazarus\
The launcher when starts, complains of missing fpc.cfg, and path to FPC sources.
Tweak the launcher's configuration file.
I want to do what can to squeeze that down closer to 100 Mb or less if that's at all possible
I'm afraid not. FPC sources are required, and itself already takes more than that.

TurboRascal

• "Good sysadmin. Bad programmer."™
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2011, 03:27:12 pm »
Hmm... I guess the Windows installer should be modified in the way that Lazarus is install system-wide if the user is an administrator, and to a user directory if he/she is not. That is a common practice with several programs nowadays (I think Google does it for all its apps), and it mirrors the good practice from the Unix world (used since times of old when windows didn't have a clue about users and permissions...)

Other options are mostly focused on portable installs, which isn't a needed solution for the OP and probably many other non-admin users.
Regards, ArNy the Turbo Rascal
-
"The secret is to give them what they need, not what they want." - Scotty, STTNG:Relics

TinyPortal © 2005-2018