Recent

Author Topic: Lazarus Component list  (Read 30706 times)

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
Re: Lazarus Component list
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2011, 10:36:09 am »

Very good point indeed. There are a lot of initiatives but there's no one actually producing something. That is why I would stick to fppkg, because it's also used for FPC and Joost has already done work on it to get it working for Lazarus it will be the best starting point.

On the other hand, I'm no core developer, so I would ask on the mailing list first before choosing one way or the other. Having a package manager is a very much appreciated feature. Just don't make the mistake to start off wrong and waste your time because the core team already decided on some strategy.

And people should realize this is a quite long term process. It is easy to imagine some simple global memory structure and derive from that, but the many targets, tweaks options, and ways to install are a problem. 

But Joost has finally started to roll it out.  And while there are problems, one shouldn't forget that the move from handcrafted makefiles to fpcmake also took two periods of about half an year (first Sebastian?, then Peter) to introduce.

Glenn

• Code-Kungfu.com
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2011, 08:04:02 pm »
How congrete plans you have at this point? Did you look at fppkg? Does it fit into the picture?

I've done done some research and trying to lay out plans for the project.

I did take a look at fppkg and it fits mostly into the picture :)
However, a lot of changes has to be made to fppkg if the wish-list should be fulfilled.
- I might branch fppkg and implement the ideas, as I find the changes too radical until they're been approved by the fp team :)

I'll publish a roadmap on the google code page in one of the forthcoming days. when time allows.

Best regards
Glenn

dblaszijk

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2011, 08:12:40 am »
I created a (trivial) lazarus plugin for fppkg. Extending this to Lazarus needs a bit of work, but seems doable I would say.

http://lists.lazarus.freepascal.org/pipermail/lazarus/2011-May/062910.html

Glenn

• Code-Kungfu.com
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2011, 10:19:48 am »
I created a (trivial) lazarus plugin for fppkg. Extending this to Lazarus needs a bit of work, but seems doable I would say.

http://lists.lazarus.freepascal.org/pipermail/lazarus/2011-May/062910.html
Looks interesting :)
Currently I'm not at my dev laptop, so I'll take a look at the code later today :)

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2011, 10:21:35 am »

Now many people are either doing a similar installer or planning to do it.
The efforts should be united and synchoronized.
Can you Darius (dblaszijk) give your code to the Glenn's repository? Or do you have another repository?

Juha
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

dblaszijk

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2011, 10:57:09 am »
Now many people are either doing a similar installer or planning to do it.
Oh yeah? Who is doing something then? I only see vague ideas to be honest. And even those were about forking fppkg or creating even a new system. My patch is a graphical front-end to fppkg with later some extensions to Lazarus, nothing more.

The efforts should be united and synchoronized.
No question about it, that is why I asked for a review first and then have it commited to the components folder in Lazarus SVN.

Can you Darius (dblaszijk) give your code to the Glenn's repository? Or do you have another repository?
It's out there on the mailinglist, see the link I put up in my previous message. Anyone is free to do whatever he/she likes with it.

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2011, 12:21:46 pm »
Darius, people were planning to write an installer because they didn't know you were already writing one. At least I didn't know.
Yes, I was speculating with (temporary) forks and such before there was any code. It was useless.
Still, I am thinking how to better utilize the code from new developers. As you know sending patches for Lazarus can be a slow process.
There is nothing wrong with an external repository if it makes things easier.

Juha
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

dblaszijk

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2011, 09:06:00 pm »
This stuff is like I mentioned earlier trivial (because of fppkg) and it only took me about two hours to come up with the first GUI version. Now I'm almost finishing the basic outline of the software. Instead of controlling the command line application the FPC core team agreed to move some of the fppkg sources to ./packages so I will be able to link to them directly. In a couple of days I will release a version that will be fully functional. In the mean time I will put up evaluation patches on the bug tracker. So anyone genuinely interested can join. See: http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=19335

I will also need to create some patches to fppkg because I want to add support for keywords, categories and support level.

@Juha, I don't mind that it will take some time before the patches get approved and committed. Typically this does not impact the quality negatively, but rather the opposite.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 12:18:48 am by dblaszijk »

dblaszijk

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2011, 12:24:33 pm »
I found another couple of hours to finish the first version. I'm quite happy how it works, although it can always work better. At least all the functionality is implemented correct now.
Please check out en report your findings.

dblaszijk

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2011, 10:39:32 pm »
I comitted the code in Lazarus SVN. Let's move the discussion to the Lazarus mailinglist  ;)

TinyPortal © 2005-2018