Recent

Author Topic: The Important FpGUI Widgeset interface developement  (Read 66314 times)

Graeme

• Graeme on the web
Re: The Important FpGUI Widgeset interface developement
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2012, 01:12:02 pm »
I even thinking of another better idea: an X11 based widgetset.
The fpGUI Toolkit speaks directly to the Xlib (X11) library. So any unix-type OS that has X11 should be fine for fpGUI Toolkit to work on. LCL-fpGUI is a layer on top of fpGUI Toolkit, so not 100% sure what other dependencies LCL pulls it, but hopefully not too much in the case of LCL-fpGUI.
--
fpGUI Toolkit - a cross-platform GUI toolkit using Free Pascal
http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/

Graeme

• Graeme on the web
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2012, 01:16:15 pm »
Opengl is the future. in this way you need only capture basic windowing functions.
OpenGL performance under Linux sucks big time! (unless you install the proprietary AMD/nVidia drivers)
--

Graeme

• Graeme on the web
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2012, 01:17:25 pm »
That might just be the easiest way to try Free Pascal and a GUI program on the Raspberry Pi (or other small ARM Linux systems), which I hope to do as soon as a friend gets delivery on one.
I'm also eager to try the Raspberry Pi.  :)
--

TurboRascal

• "Good sysadmin. Bad programmer."™
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2012, 02:09:05 pm »
I'm wondering, hasn't fpgui actually become obsolete since Felipe developed custom drawn controls? Perhaps the efforts could be joined, so fpgui would try to use a native widgetset if available and switch to custom drawn when there is none...
Regards, ArNy the Turbo Rascal
-
"The secret is to give them what they need, not what they want." - Scotty, STTNG:Relics

Dibo

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2012, 03:49:39 pm »
I could say: why use custom drawn if we have fpGUI ;)  . fpGUI has different idea than CD. CD has only own drawing but still depend on LCL so inherit all OS problems from which fpGUI trying to escape. fpGUI has a lot of controls with own drawing (listbox, treeview, listview, grids, even richview) and doesn't need any external libs like GTK, QT, libQT4Pas and much more, so I compile only one executable for linux and it run on GNOME, KDE, XFCE, Unity etc. Integrating LCL in fpGUI is step back. Especially since the upcoming version of fpGUI will be working on Agg (little sneak peak: http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/images/full/fpgui_agg-powered.png) and this gives many new possibilities. So fpGUI is not obsolete but has different way of development :)

felipemdc

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2012, 10:12:44 pm »
Custom drawn is made for the LCL, it runs in Linux on top of X11 without any other dependency and it supports 2 unique platforms which other toolkits don't support: Cocoa (native Mac OS X) and Android. It does not have any platform issues, since everything is identical in all operating systems, only the skin might be changed to look native.

For discusing fpGUI as a separate toolkit unrelated to Lazarus please use the fpGUI appropriate forum/newsgroup/etc. This is a Lazarus forum.

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2012, 10:55:01 pm »
I just updated the minimal Free Pascal and fpGUI ARM distro on this page:
  http://www.turbocontrol.com/easyfpgui.htm

That might just be the easiest way to try Free Pascal and a GUI program on the Raspberry Pi (or other small ARM Linux systems), which I hope to do as soon as a friend gets delivery on one.

Lazarus installs with one command from Raspbian's (the recommended distro) repositories?

Graeme

• Graeme on the web
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2012, 12:56:08 am »
For discusing fpGUI as a separate toolkit unrelated to Lazarus please use the fpGUI appropriate forum/newsgroup/etc. This is a Lazarus forum.
Please don't start that here too.... Unlike emails (the mailing list) that get delivered to everybody's Inbox, the forums are a "on demand" service. You only read what you find interesting. If you don't like the topic, simply don't read the messages - nobody is forcing you to read this.

As for the discussion about fpGUI Toolkit - it is rather a vital part in the implementation of LCL-fpGUI widgetset. So give the people a break.
--

Zoran

• http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/User:Zoran
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2012, 07:13:54 pm »

NO!!

Nobody here (thank God) objects asking FPC related questions. So, we should finally agree that this is not Lazarus only forum, as FPC and Lazarus are closely related and all FPC topics must be welcomed in this forum. FpGui is a GUI framework completely written in FPC and as such must be welcomed here.

Anyway, fpGui is closely related to Lazarus project for two reasons - first, because fpGui's Visual Form Designer can be very well and comfortably used with Lazarus GUI, and second - because fpGui is (at least as partially implemented LCL-fpGui) a LCL target. Perhaps your Custom drawn controls already are million times better LCL target than fpGui, but try to accept that they are not the only solution. Just try to get over it.

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2012, 10:22:59 pm »

Nobody here (thank God) objects asking FPC related questions. So, we should finally agree that this is not Lazarus only forum, as FPC and Lazarus are closely related and all FPC topics must be welcomed in this forum.

The fact that FPC related questions as a subset of Lazarus are allowed, should IMHO not be abused for non-related systems. At least not till the forum is officially also for FPC.

vfclists

• HowTos Considered Harmful?
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2013, 09:22:37 pm »
I think a case can be made for having both fpGUI and MSEIde+MSEGui on this forum, mainly because users  of those toolkits are also users of Lazarus.

The problem is all the toolkits use FCL and parts of the LCL as well, and answers about those also have some relevance to Lazarus. The way things are now leads to the fragmentation of the Pascal community and its knowledgebase and no one benefits from such a situation. What matters is that the proponents of the different/competing stop bickering and sniping at each other.

Pascal is on the decline as it stands and this attitude helps no one. Consider how much better things would be for the Pascal world If there was a single major forum for all the various Pascal dialects and toolkits. We probably need a reddit or StackExchange related to Pascal
Lazarus 3.0/FPC 3.2.2

jwdietrich

• formatio reticularis
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2013, 09:46:42 pm »
There are in fact tags for Lazarus and Free Pascal in Stack Overflow, and the Free Pascal community has its own (quite small) forum.

You are right, however, that the fragmentation is unbeneficial for both users and the language. Although the Free Pascal community has considerable overlap with the Lazrus community, it would require some efforts to convince both sides to join forces for a unified forum system.
function GetRandomNumber: integer; // xkcd.com
begin
  GetRandomNumber := 4; // chosen by fair dice roll. Guaranteed to be random.
end;

http://www.formatio-reticularis.de

Lazarus 2.2.6 | FPC 3.2.2 | PPC, Intel, ARM | macOS, Windows, Linux

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2013, 12:03:44 am »
I think a case can be made for having both fpGUI and MSEIde+MSEGui on this forum, mainly because users  of those toolkits are also users of Lazarus.

As far as I know there is not a direct correlation.  Yes, Lazarus backend FPGUI is somewhat on-topic, the rest is off-topic IMHO.

BigChimp

• Add to the wiki - it's free ;)
    • FPCUp, PaperTiger scanning and other open source projects
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2013, 08:42:32 am »
it would require some efforts to convince both sides to join forces for a unified forum system.
Agreed. While I also think it's a good thing, I'm certainly not holding my breath...
Want quicker answers to your questions? Read http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_Faq#What_is_the_correct_way_to_ask_questions_in_the_forum.3F

Open source including papertiger OCR/PDF scanning:
https://bitbucket.org/reiniero

Lazarus trunk+FPC trunk x86, Windows x64 unless otherwise specified

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2013, 10:22:39 am »
it would require some efforts to convince both sides to join forces for a unified forum system.
Agreed. While I also think it's a good thing, I'm certainly not holding my breath...

IIRC It's not just taking the decision.  The current FPC community accounts double as mantis accounts.
Cleaning out the old FPC community server would mean people
would have to create new mantis accounts.

To be honest, I check the FPC community less than once a month. And I'm FPC coremember :-)

TinyPortal © 2005-2018