Recent

Author Topic: When GTK3 in Lazarus?  (Read 19021 times)

af0815

Re: When GTK3 in Lazarus?
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2020, 11:56:22 pm »
Is there a official statement for gtk3 or gtk4 ?! From the core team of Lazarus ?
regards
Andreas

af0815

« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2020, 11:58:41 pm »
When it is ready(TM)
c by MVC 2011

SCNR
regards
Andreas

dbannon

• tomboy-ng, a rewrite of the classic Tomboy
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2020, 12:53:39 am »
We can all put efforts in migrating to GTK3 now, but before you know it, GTK3 will feel "outdated" too because pressure to migrate to GTK4 will be around the corner.  :D

We are all complaining about LCL's GTK3, and there is still a lot not working. However, there is quite a lot that is working !  Most of it does work mostly !   To walk away from that and jump blindly into GTK4 would be a mistake, we don't have anything working in GTK4 right now ......

And you can bet GTK4 will be like GTK3 was, constantly changing, varying levels of documentation.  And no support in those desktops that are dragging their feet.  No, we need GTK3 now (or a stronger commitment to Qt5 ?) to keep us going for the several years that GTK4 will take to settle down.

Davo
Lazarus 3, Linux (and reluctantly Win10/11, OSX Monterey)
My Project - https://github.com/tomboy-notes/tomboy-ng and my github - https://github.com/davidbannon

asdf1337

« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2020, 01:32:27 am »
We can all put efforts in migrating to GTK3 now, but before you know it, GTK3 will feel "outdated" too because pressure to migrate to GTK4 will be around the corner.  :D

We are all complaining about LCL's GTK3, and there is still a lot not working. However, there is quite a lot that is working !  Most of it does work mostly ! 
Everyone is complaining but I assume nobody started to read the documentation and trying to fix the problems etc. Just complaining in hope that someone else will fix it >:D
Better to work together and defeat the problems 8)

No, we need GTK3 now (or a stronger commitment to Qt5 ?) to keep us going for the several years that GTK4 will take to settle down.

Davo
Not sure if Qt5 is the future after they announced to probably delay the open source versions... ;)

linuxer

• Systemd kills Linux Freedom Move to Artix Linux
    • Linuxer
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2020, 01:45:20 am »

We are all complaining about LCL's GTK3, and there is still a lot not working. However, there is quite a lot that is working !  Most of it does work mostly !   To walk away from that and jump blindly into GTK4 would be a mistake, we don't have anything working in GTK4 right now ......

And you can bet GTK4 will be like GTK3 was, constantly changing, varying levels of documentation.  And no support in those desktops that are dragging their feet.  No, we need GTK3 now (or a stronger commitment to Qt5 ?) to keep us going for the several years that GTK4 will take to settle down.

Davo

Both points are correct. GTK3 has been stabilized, so is what we all need.

As repeatedly mentioned, just follow the XFCE way.

GTK4, is too early to be adopted.

dbannon

• tomboy-ng, a rewrite of the classic Tomboy
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2020, 01:46:22 am »
Hey asdf1337, the angry icon is there for one particular forum user who knows heaps and occasionly shares his wisdom usefully.

Lets not see it in friendly conversations .....

Davo
Lazarus 3, Linux (and reluctantly Win10/11, OSX Monterey)
My Project - https://github.com/tomboy-notes/tomboy-ng and my github - https://github.com/davidbannon

asdf1337

« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2020, 01:53:06 am »
Hey asdf1337, the angry icon is there for one particular forum user who knows heaps and occasionly shares his wisdom usefully.

Lets not see it in friendly conversations .....

Davo
Oh didn't know that it's Thaddy's private emoji :-[

winni

« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2020, 01:59:54 am »

Oh didn't know that it's Thaddy's private emoji :-[

Yes it is!

But I told him that the stack is nearly empty ....

Winni

VTwin

• Former Turbo Pascal 3 user
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2020, 05:12:51 pm »
 :D
“Talk is cheap. Show me the code.” -Linus Torvalds

Free Pascal Compiler 3.2.2
macOS 12.1: Lazarus 2.2.6 (64 bit Cocoa M1)
Ubuntu 18.04.3: Lazarus 2.2.6 (64 bit on VBox)
Windows 7 Pro SP1: Lazarus 2.2.6 (64 bit on VBox)

VTwin

• Former Turbo Pascal 3 user
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2020, 05:25:01 pm »
Thanks for this thread. Maybe now that cocoa is pretty stable I can try to help find some gtk3 bugs. It would be great to have that running in good shape.
“Talk is cheap. Show me the code.” -Linus Torvalds

Free Pascal Compiler 3.2.2
macOS 12.1: Lazarus 2.2.6 (64 bit Cocoa M1)
Ubuntu 18.04.3: Lazarus 2.2.6 (64 bit on VBox)
Windows 7 Pro SP1: Lazarus 2.2.6 (64 bit on VBox)

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2020, 05:37:27 pm »

This is not correct. After GTK4 branches off, GTK3 will be IN stabilization. That doesn't mean it is ALREADY STABLE.

As repeatedly mentioned, just follow the XFCE way.

If bugs are encountered that are not fixed, there is a problem. This is probably also why nobody has volunteered for this thankless job.

linuxer

• Systemd kills Linux Freedom Move to Artix Linux
    • Linuxer
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2020, 06:00:31 pm »

This is not correct. After GTK4 branches off, GTK3 will be IN stabilization. That doesn't mean it is ALREADY STABLE.

Under this consideration, yes.

But even if so, only minor changes will be applied, normally, until then.

So, what do you suggest?

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2020, 08:26:32 pm »

Under this consideration, yes.

But even if so, only minor changes will be applied, normally, until then.

So, what do you suggest?

Hard to say. The question is simply if there are people that believe that GTK will stabilize, and want to work on it.

Personally, I'd bet my cards on QT, but since my *nix GUI work has pretty much halted, it doesn't matter much for me.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018