Recent

Author Topic: Delphi Starter Edition  (Read 60680 times)

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
Re: Delphi Starter Edition
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2011, 09:57:51 am »

So this morning I downloaded and installed the 30 day free trial version.  This does not look much like Delphi 4 any more. There is so much stuff there.  But the one thing I was looking for did not seem to be there, unless I just missed it - the SQLdb tab.  This is the BEST part of Lazarus, the easy connections to the free database engines.  Especially with Luis Americo's SQLite3Dataset component, simple (and maybe complex) database programs are so easy now.  Here is my first application, which as Q&D as it is, is actually a useful program.

Remote database support is not even in Delphi Pro. At least not with Embarcadero components, then you have to switch to UIB or Zeos (which all also work with FPC)

And the Embarcadero license - what the heck are they smoking down there?  Restrictions on what you can do with the programs you produce?  A limit on what you can make selling programs?  Really?

So even though the $149 price is once again an attractive price, I don't see any reason for me to share my hard earned dollars with a company that does not seem to really want my business...

Actually that was the one thing I liked. For me a hobbyist license should allow me to develop something for say the administration of a soccer club, and it should be long term. I know the money maximum sounds a bit dumb, but it is a huge improvement over "personal use only" versions, since it allows fairly unrestrained non-profit use.

Not that it matters for me personally though, I bought a PRO long ago, and even upgraded it once.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 04:12:17 pm by marcov »

anderson5420

« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2011, 06:53:34 am »
Well, I had no restrictions on either Borland TP 6 or Delphi 4 (and earlier) as to what I could do with the programs I wrote and compiled with their tools. It just seems strange to me, since I spent a lot of money on Borland products, which were all reasonably priced, how drastically different things are now.  I was once upon a time Borland's target market. No longer with Embarcadero - but I guess I have known that for a while. So, I will choose Lazarus for free with no restrictions, and Embarcadero gets none of my money, that's all I am saying. 

Actually that was the one thing I liked. For me a hobbyist license should allow me to develop something for say the administration of a soccer club, and it should be long term. I know the money maximum sounds a bit dumb, but it is a huge improvement over "personal use only" versions, since it allows fairly unrestrained non-profit use.

Not that it matters, I bought a PRO long ago, and even upgraded it once.

BlueIcaro

• Blog personal
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2011, 08:06:10 am »
Hello everybody. For me any version of Delphi is not a choice. I know that Delphi it's a good product, you can buy it and you have support, etc.

But I make programs for hobbie, and I make programs to me, and who wants use it (the last program, was a small timer that resets my route, using a Telnet connection  8-) ). May of this projects are simple programs, other only test it's just for hobbie. So I don't want pay for a "good" product, only for play with it, I don't have that money to buy me  a hobbie.

So Lazarus, for me, it's the best option. And I learn many things looking inside of the lazarus's code, ant with the lazarus's comunity. And Lazarus, it's pascal lenguage, the language that I learned in my student's days.

Also, I think Lazarus, it's growing fast. I think, Lazarus, doesn't have any important diference with other comercial tools. You can say, that Lazarus has some bugs, problems, etc. but all comercial application have problems.

But many people thinks that If you don't pay for some thing it's less better than if you pay it. That is the reason because many people doesn't like Lazarus.

But I think Lazarus it's very good tool, it's bigger that I can understand.

/BlueIcaro

Lacak2

« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2011, 11:00:24 am »
You can say, that Lazarus has some bugs, problems, etc. but all comercial application have problems.
If I should comment this, then I would be happy if some registered bugs (especially with patches) will be fixed quicker . May be that there is hidden reason (for example lack of developers free time) why they are not touched, but then it is hidden to me.
May be, that some bug priority list will help, so others can see what bugs will be solved first, what next and what are out of "game".

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2011, 05:26:34 pm »
If I should comment this, then I would be happy if some registered bugs (especially with patches) will be fixed quicker . May be that there is hidden reason (for example lack of developers free time) why they are not touched, but then it is hidden to me.
Another possibilities: lack of ability to fix it, possibility to break existing code, insufficient information.
May be, that some bug priority list will help, so others can see what bugs will be solved first, what next and what are out of "game".
Actually this could be derived from the target version, but sometimes bugs that are pending for later versions got fixed in trunk as well. So, it's not always reliable.

mbalegria

« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2011, 09:07:33 am »
Next time they will ask your school history. Just to pay is not enough, you need to be a good boy.
Expect the unexpected

rudiloos

« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2011, 06:41:16 pm »
Hi Everyone

And the Embarcadero license - what the heck are they smoking down there?  Restrictions on what you can do with the programs you produce?  A limit on what you can make selling programs?  Really?

With all the 64bit compilers out there, one would think that developing software would be a priority but they seem to more interested in developing licenses  %)
Just think how they will license the 64bit version (Twice as many bits you know )

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2011, 04:10:32 pm »

I also hate the fact that the stabilization of generics takes 4 versions or so. Delphi XE is 90% there, but still a lot to go, and new generics bugs are entered weekly.

But I do understand a bit where Embarcadero is coming from. All their fixes between versions (the fixpacks/sps/updates) need to maintain DCU compatibility mostly, or all eval packages of component builders won't work anymore.

So a lot of fixes can probably not reach end-users earlier than the next major upgrade(2009->2010->XE) because of the requirement to keep the dcu format stable.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018