Recent

Author Topic: Delphi Starter Edition  (Read 60681 times)

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
Re: Delphi Starter Edition
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2011, 02:57:42 pm »
Now all students can get Java, Python, C, C++ for free, but they couldn't get Delphi for free.
That's where FPC and Lazarus should come actually. We just miss some kind of campus / school representatives to do this. My campus has Microsoft Innovation Center, Sun Campus Ambassador (was, don't know whether Oracle still maintain it or not), and quite a lot of GNU people. But I'm the only modern Pascal programmer there (there's another Pascalian, but he only knows TP and somehow doesn't have any will to improve his skills to modern Pascal).

krexon

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2011, 12:11:36 pm »
There is feature matrix where you can see what is included in Starter Edition: http://www.embarcadero.com/products/delphi/Delphi-Feature-Matrix.pdf

There are:
- no dbExpress and doGO (there is only Interbase Express components) and BDE for dBase and Paradox),
- no DataSnap,
- Database Tools
- no TeeChart,
- no Rave Reports,
- no UML,
- no Code Completion for Delphi, HTML, XHTML, XSL, and CSS,
- debugger limited in functionality (see feature matrix)

You can install own components, not like in Turbo Delphi Explorer :)

Starter edition can be used to develop and distribute software up to $1,000 US in total revenue. If your total revenue related to apps built with Delphi or C++Builder is greater than $1,000 US, you must purchase a Pro, Ent, or Arch edition License.
Starter edition limited to 5 simultaneous users within a network.

theo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2011, 12:35:13 pm »
If your total revenue related to apps built with Delphi or C++Builder is greater than $1,000 US, you must purchase a Pro, Ent, or Arch edition License.

And how should this work?
If I buy the product I have to send EMB information about my income at the end of the year?
If I don't, will they disable the product I have paid for?
Ridiculous.

typo

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2011, 06:47:32 pm »
Next time they will ask your school history. Just to pay is not enough, you need to be a good boy.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 06:54:48 pm by typo »

zariq

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2011, 12:59:41 am »
No code completion is petty and a deal breaker.

idog

• www.idogendel.com (Hebrew)
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2011, 01:22:37 am »
No code completion is petty and a deal breaker.

The definition of code completion there is a bit tricky. I asked about it in this thread:
https://forums.embarcadero.com/thread.jspa?threadID=48882&tstart=30

It turns out that "autocomplete" (of class methods, properties etc.) does work. However, shortcuts for "for..to" and the likes doesn't.

zariq

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2011, 01:38:22 am »
The matrix is a bit ambiguous. In one place it suggests the feature is missing but in the other it says it isn't.

Some of the personal editions  removed the feature which displays the value of a variable when the mouse is placed over it, when debugging.

idog

• www.idogendel.com (Hebrew)
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2011, 01:57:05 am »
Some of the personal editions  removed the feature which displays the value of a variable when the mouse is placed over it, when debugging.

That's true, and a shame. It's a really useful feature.

Troodon

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2011, 03:35:42 am »
I see this as bad news for FreePascal and Lazarus, or at least as on "oportunity" to sit down and rethink priorities. Not that I am trying to tell anyone what they should do. One disadvantage that Delphi has for now is the lack of a 64-bit compiler, but that may not last. Personally, I will focus on the Linux platform where the competition includes C++/Qt and C#/Gtk(Mono).
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 08:58:23 pm by Troodon »
Lazarus/FPC on Linux

motaz

• http://code.sd
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2011, 08:40:01 am »
for me, I can't even open www.embarcadero.com site, it is closed from Sudan, and we can not activate Delphi if we purchased it from other country from here.

So that FreePascal/Lazarus will always be the best choice for us.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 10:41:27 am by motaz »

krexon

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2011, 08:44:20 am »
From FAQ:

Can I sell my apps or components with the Starter edition?

Yes. You may sell any apps or components developed with the Starter edition under the Starter license until your annual license or service revenue exceeds US $1,000 or local currency equivalent. If your annual license or service revenue generated from the output of the Starter edition exceeds US $1,000 or local currency equivalent, then a Professional edition or higher license is required to be purchased. Special pricing for Starter upgrades to Professional, Enterprise and Architect editions is available specifically for this purpose.

Can I deploy apps built with the Starter edition for internal use in my company?

A Professional, Enterprise or Architect edition license is required for developing or deploying any apps or components within any company with total company revenues exceeding US $1,000 or local currency equivalent.

Can I add additional commercial and open source tools and VCL components to Delphi XE Starter or C++Builder XE Starter?

In general, yes. However, the Starter editions don't include some features that are available in the higher editions like dbExpress. Since dbExpress functionality isn't included in the product, you wouldn't be able to add something like third party dbExpress drivers. Delphi XE Starter and C++Builder XE Starter don't have restrictions on adding components like the old Turbo Explorer products did. See the Delphi Feature Matrix or C++Builder Feature Matrix for more information.

jixian.yang

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2011, 03:46:57 pm »
D is more conservative and complacent than MS.
For every version of VS studio, there are the free copies.
But the Turbo Delphi is the latest free version of Delphi.
I do not think the terrible license will bring good sales.

felipemdc

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2011, 04:07:24 pm »
I see this as bad news for FreePascal and Lazarus

I think exactly the opposite. A stronger Delphi can only be good for Lazarus / Free Pascal, because it increases the general Pascal market and the amount of people using Pascal.

typo

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2011, 04:39:12 pm »
Embarcadero will keep your whole family away from the nasty bugs.

(If you have a Spider-Man Club card)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 05:42:40 pm by typo »

Troodon

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2011, 09:56:49 pm »
A stronger Delphi can only be good for Lazarus / Free Pascal, because it increases the general Pascal market and the amount of people using Pascal.
I like the way you put it  :)
Lazarus/FPC on Linux

TinyPortal © 2005-2018