Recent

Author Topic: How to autoupdate an application (like Sparkle)  (Read 8323 times)

MikeHart

How to autoupdate an application (like Sparkle)
« on: January 16, 2011, 10:06:23 am »
Hi folks,

I would like to implement an auto update functionality in my application. I read about Sparkle, but so far could not find a component that wraps it. Are there any other solutions you can point me to that provide a similar functionality?

Thanks in advance
Michael

Phil

Re: How to autoupdate an application (like Sparkle)
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 07:21:13 pm »
I would like to implement an auto update functionality in my application. I read about Sparkle, but so far could not find a component that wraps it. Are there any other solutions you can point me to that provide a similar functionality?

Very good question. Have you considered putting your app in the Mac App Store? That would include auto-update capability via the App Store app on OS X. Free apps are allowed too, where Apple picks up the bill.

Ryan over on the MacPascal mailing list has successfully gotten his Carbon-based app on the Mac App Store. And he worked up some scripts for archving and submitting it outside of Xcode.

Thanks.

-Phil

kamischi

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 10:05:37 pm »
I want to mention fink. It is not a auto-update, but at least a central package management with simple updates. It can also be used for application bundles, which are placed in /Application/Fink/ and as such easy to find. It is clear that installing Xcode and fink is not for every user, but at least for developers this should not be problem.

Michael Schindler
fpc 2.6.4, lazarus 1.4.0, Mac OS X, fink

Phil

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 10:17:44 pm »
It is clear that installing Xcode and fink is not for every user, but at least for developers this should not be problem.

Offhand, I would guess he's not talking about developers, though.

Thanks.

-Phil

MikeHart

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 08:54:18 pm »
Thanks guys. No the clients are developers, but fink is something I say is not a solution.
and App Store is not planned. I want to distribute it from my website.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018