Recent

Author Topic: Now My App is Ready, what should i do?  (Read 8646 times)

KillerCode

Now My App is Ready, what should i do?
« on: November 19, 2010, 06:57:03 am »
thats my first encounter with linux, so sorry if my questions are too dumb

i heard that all the programs on linux needs installation, i finished mine, simple form with a memobox that loads its contents from file, Project1 (with no extention) was produced from the compiling operation, now what? i want to send this application to a friend and he can run it.
what should i do? send him that file directly? and what Units that when i use are considered libraries that i should include?

one more example is this code
Code: [Select]
uses LCLIntf, LCLType;

var
  MyBitmap: TBitmap;
  ScreenDC: HDC;
begin
  MyBitmap := TBitmap.Create;
  ScreenDC := GetDC(0);
  MyBitmap.LoadFromDevice(ScreenDC);
  ReleaseDC(ScreenDC);

thanks in advance

a.atalla

Re: Now My App is Ready, what should i do?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 07:34:48 am »
yes ,just send him the compiled file if his system has the same arch as yours (32 or 64 bit)
Lazarus 1.0.8 | FPC 2.6.2 x64  | Arch Linux x64 | Windows 7-x86

KillerCode

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 09:30:37 am »
thats it?
what about those installation packages out there? i thought all applications require installation under linux :|

for example, if i used lNet components, will i still send him just the compiled file? (Project1 with no extention?)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 10:10:02 am by KillerCode »

felipemdc

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 10:47:05 am »
yes ,just send him the compiled file if his system has the same arch as yours (32 or 64 bit)

You should at least strip and zip the file. It might work to send something to a friend, but it will be extremely unprofessional.

The proper way is building a RPM, Debian, etc, package.

KillerCode

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 11:08:18 am »
its not about professional now :D, all im asking, if i used lNet, will i be FORCED to make .rpm or .deb package? or i can still send out the executable and thats all without him needing to install any files?

i know im pain, but plz :D. im new xD

michaelthuma

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 11:08:57 am »
Simply send ... and be happy - strip the debuginfo but consider that some information is required too see the line where the program breaks.

Just putting an executable into a subdirectory is a just normal thing. Under UNIX you usually zip (and tar). Installers are very windows as they did not have at least a zip on board and have to write to the registry ... If someone really wants to have a possibilty to configure sthg. before ... also under windows I would provide a command line switch e.g. program --configure and show an options dialog under UNIX alternative an text way to configure.

Imho...packages really pay the moment you have dependencies to other packages that have to be managed or you have a steady deployment.

KillerCode

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 11:29:04 am »
thanks man, its all clear now :D

ivan17

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 02:57:30 pm »
will i be FORCED to make .rpm or .deb package?

you are not forced to do anything.  it is uncommon to make a rpm/deb with just one file, but sure why not (if you do that then put the app into usr/bin subdir inside the archive and state gtk2 as a requirement, while you're at it).

though, i'd probably extract something like that into ~/bin so i wouldn't want you to bother with packages.

the thing is, next time when you have 20 png images, 3 help files, 5 libraries and two configuration files, on linux those are supposed to go into 4 different directories (and app into fifth) - that's when you'll make a package.

KillerCode

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 03:31:32 pm »
looks the same as windows to me :)

ivan17

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 04:10:19 pm »
looks the same as windows to me :)

the single exe scenario, yeah, pretty much.

second scenario with dozens of files, no. on windows, you'd put the stuff i listed into ONE directory under "program files" (or into a few subdirectories of ONE directory but it's the same thing). there is no "program files" directory on linux.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018