Recent

Author Topic: Silverlight/Moonlight Module  (Read 15850 times)

jshand2010

Silverlight/Moonlight Module
« on: October 16, 2010, 11:16:49 pm »
These days applications are moving towards the web more and more.  however, it is good to keep every option available to you as you don't know when you will need them.
OpenSUSE Tumbleweed x86_64, Lazarus 2.2.0RC2 fixes branch, fpc 3.2.3 fixes branch

felipemdc

• Administrator
Re: Silverlight/Moonlight Module
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 08:05:09 am »
Sure, making web applications is important, but I think that it is better to instead either:

a> Write a fpWeb application
or
b> Implement something like IntraWeb in Lazarus

What advantage does Silverlight offer? Can it really be programmed with Lazarus? Can it run native code? Does it work in other browsers in Internet Explorer?

I guess that no to all those questions, but maybe I am wrong.

Zaher

• parmaja.org
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 05:08:58 am »
If i want to be web programmer that mean i must HTML + JavaScript programmer more than be Pascal, Pascal in server side, JS in client side.

In summary Web mean JS

Silverlight/Moonlight have new Idea, you program using .NET then in client side also use .NET there is no double language.

Phil

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 02:29:15 pm »
Silverlight runs fine in Firefox on a Mac and is used with the Netflix video streaming service.

As a browser plugin, it's a bit big it seems to me, at 13MB, but that's probably because it includes a lot of the .NET CF in the .dmg.

You would program Silverlight in Visual Studio the way you would any .NET project, so it doesn't make much sense to talk about a "Silverlight/Moonlight Module" for Lazarus, if that indeed is what that's referring to.

Thanks.

-Phil

Laksen

• J-Software
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 05:55:30 pm »
Lazarus/FPC wasn't written for something like this. Sure it might be possible, but it wouldn't be practical

You could easily write a bytecode backend for FPC. And surely, you could also write some plugins for common browser that could handle that bytecode. But there are no facilities in place for normal seperation of library and application code. If one day we could easily compile a "FreePascal Runtime DLL" and a "LCL DLL" it would probably be possible

It's of course possible, but it would take many years. Probably around a decade

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 07:52:40 pm »

Silverlight/Moonlight have new Idea, you program using .NET then in client side also use .NET there is no double language.

So is it when you do clientside with Pascal, see e.g. Morfik.

Zaher

• parmaja.org
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 09:30:18 pm »
if Morfik convert my Pascal code to JavaScript code to work in the Client side like Firefox, no, it not the same idea, ASPX do the same, it is generate JS to work in the web browser.

Moonlight have and addon/plugin in Firefox like as Adobe Flash, it is run as like Flash run, with C# code not converted to JS.
Pascal can not rich this idea until they decided to make a Pascal Script and make a plugin to Firefox/IE/Opera like as the Adobe Flash.
As Laksen said "It's of course possible, but it would take many years. Probably around a decade" :)

Phil

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 12:28:59 am »
Moonlight have and addon/plugin in Firefox like as Adobe Flash, it is run as like Flash run, with C# code not converted to JS.

Correct. Even on Mac, the Silverlight plugin consists of what looks like most of the .NET runtime, including such .NET assemblies as System.dll, System.Windows.dll, Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll, mscorlib.dll, etc. (about 20 in all). As well as native executables like coreclr and coregen and native library SLMSPRBootstrap.dylib. About 50MB total in the /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Silverlight.plugin folder.

Thanks.

-Phil

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 07:50:44 am »
if Morfik convert my Pascal code to JavaScript code to work in the Client side like Firefox, no, it not the same idea, ASPX do the same, it is generate JS to work in the web browser.

Pascal can not rich this idea until they decided to make a Pascal Script and make a plugin to Firefox/IE/Opera like as the Adobe Flash.
As Laksen said "It's of course possible, but it would take many years. Probably around a decade" :)

I know. But moonlight's plugin is hardly used. That's the problem with plugins, if you are a minority language, you will always have to install the plugin, and then the zeroconf aspect of webapps is gone, and you might as well use a client. (stronger even, that might not even require configuration)

Plugins work for Adobe Flash (which its high covering), and maybe for Java in the corporate world (not the enduser world), but it is very hard to start a new one.

Zaher

• parmaja.org
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2010, 10:24:53 am »
]HTML 5 was far from becoming an accepted standard

I agree, i think we need to another 10 years to see a new web language in client side (maybe 50 years).

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2010, 11:02:53 am »

That's not an new idea, it is the java in browser idea, dating from the early nineties. (and .NET is nothing but a Java clone in the first place)

Worse, you can create plugins for any language, the trouble is getting enough people to actually install it.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018