Recent

Author Topic: suggestion: When will Lazarus change IDE interface into Delphi2006 style  (Read 26817 times)

TurboRascal

• "Good sysadmin. Bad programmer."™
After Delphi 7, the IDE changed. Did Borland abandon a higher tchnology?
No.

I'm not really sure newer is always better...

1. Put the component pallete to right, because the widescreen is popular so we need not waste vertical resource.

It uses screen area better indeed, but I'd say usability suffers. Like I mentioned, much later than D7 Microsoft introduced their 'ribbon' interface which is very similar to the old component pallette style, as a novel discovery.

2. IDE message form titlebar is of course waste.

3. Did we alway place the IDE forms before? No.

Sorry, didn't get those two points...? Please rephrase...

4. Docking is a good design.

That I agree.
Regards, ArNy the Turbo Rascal
-
"The secret is to give them what they need, not what they want." - Scotty, STTNG:Relics

JD

Windows - Lazarus 2.1/FPC 3.2 (built using fpcupdeluxe),
Linux Mint - Lazarus 2.1/FPC 3.2 (built using fpcupdeluxe)

mORMot; Zeos 8; SQLite, PostgreSQL & MariaDB; VirtualTreeView

jixian.yang

@jixian.yang:
How do you make the design form stays on top (or did you just take the screenshot after positioning them like that)? I really like the docked version of the IDE, but it makes things difficult when I have to switch between code and form (gotta press Shift+F12 or choose via Window menu).

There is no different with the current official IDE on this operation.

jixian.yang

@jixian.yang

How do you apply the patch?

I apply it with TortoiseSVN. The files can be downloaded on the Bug Tracker web page now.

jixian.yang

I'm not really sure newer is always better...

But it is necessary to discover where is the better.

It uses screen area better indeed, but I'd say usability suffers. Like I mentioned, much later than D7 Microsoft introduced their 'ribbon' interface which is very similar to the old component pallette style, as a novel discovery.

I do not think ribbon is better than classic user interface too.

But I do not learn where the usability suffers is. Just usability enhance.

Sorry, didn't get those two points...? Please rephrase...

It is not necessary to place the IDE forms again and again. Menu, Object Inspector, Design Form, Messages Window, every element is needed where we design a form. On the classical D7 IDE, the most convenient form size is screen size - MainIDEBar - Object  Inspector - Messages Window, if the form is larger, one of other element is covered. Or if we just write source code, not only the IDE, GEdit is enough, notepad.exe is enough, ......

Why Photoshop CS 5 hide its title bar of main window? Is it necessary? Or not?

TurboRascal

• "Good sysadmin. Bad programmer."™
But it is necessary to discover where is the better.
I do not think ribbon is better than classic user interface too.

But I do not learn where the usability suffers is. Just usability enhance.

Well, there are old, new and "new" interfaces, presented before, presented later... I guess it all boils down to personal preferences at the end :)

It is not necessary to place the IDE forms again and again. Menu, Object Inspector, Design Form, Messages Window, every element is needed where we design a form. On the classical D7 IDE, the most convenient form size is screen size - MainIDEBar - Object  Inspector - Messages Window, if the form is larger, one of other element is covered. Or if we just write source code, not only the IDE, GEdit is enough, notepad.exe is enough, ......

Yes, another case of different personal preferences, you prefer the main form not to cover anything, while I prefer main form not part-hidden within a window :)

I hope everyone will soon be able to dock Lazarus windows to their preferences ;)
Regards, ArNy the Turbo Rascal
-
"The secret is to give them what they need, not what they want." - Scotty, STTNG:Relics

TinyPortal © 2005-2018