Recent

Author Topic: What database is the Lazarus equivalent of Northwind and Kauai Dive Shoppe?  (Read 9182 times)

vfclists

• HowTos Considered Harmful?

Microsoft has its Northwind Database and Borland/Codegear have the Kauai Dive Shoppe applications which are used to demo database techniques.

What is the Lazarus equivalent of the above?

What is its preferred database format ?

Lazarus 2.1.0/FPC 3.2.0

davesimplewear

• Davids Freeware
I have used the Dive Shop in dbf and Northwind in sqlite3

Hope that helps

Regards
Dave
All things considered insanity seems the best option

JD

Lazarus has no defined database format. That's the beauty of it. It all depends on what components you use. For instance, the Zeos components http://zeos.firmos.at/portal.php give you the possibility of using the following databases: Firebird, ASA, Interbase, MySQL, Postgres SQL, Oracle, SQLite, Sybase.

What I personally do is I decide on a database & then I look for the sql script of sample databases. That way I can recreate them (within certain limits of course) in the database that I chose initially.

So formats are no barrier as long as you can get or create the sql script.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 03:47:14 pm by JD »
Windows (10), Linux Mint - Lazarus 2.1/FPC 3.2, Delphi

Indy 10.6 series; mORMot; Zeos 7.3; SQLite, Firebird, PostgreSQL & MariaDB; VirtualTreeView 5.5.3 R1

aishen

Few db have been 'transcript" : Northwind sql3 and mysql I use mainly northwind.sqlite
There is a comptoir.odb in openoffice forum which is quite well done... For borland i don't know

JD

Thanks for the link to the SQLite version of Northwind. I downloaded it & then created a generic (I hope) script version of the database called Northwind.sql

The script text file is attached & I hope from this that users will be able to use it in the database of their choice: MySQL, Firebird, PostgreSQL etc as a sample database.

I haven't tested it yet & it may need adaptation to specific databases.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 03:05:30 pm by JD »

Indy 10.6 series; mORMot; Zeos 7.3; SQLite, Firebird, PostgreSQL & MariaDB; VirtualTreeView 5.5.3 R1

JD

The script text file is attached & I hope from this that users will be able to use it in the database of their choice: MySQL, Firebird, PostgreSQL etc as a sample database.

I haven't tested it yet & it may need adaptation to specific databases.

That version of the Northwind database does not contain ANY data. It is just the tables, queries etc. I could not upload the version with the data because it is 911KB (195KB compressed) and the limit for posts on this forum is 128KB :(

Sorry!

vfclists

• HowTos Considered Harmful?
The reason for this question is to have a database for demonstrating database issues using a schema that everyone is familiar with. Northwind and Kauai Dive Shoppe are known to most database users.

The next part is which database systems should be used to demo them, and DBF, Sqlite and Firebird appear to be the most likely candidates, as they are compact enough and cross platform.

SQLite and Firebird are okay for SQL, Firebird though has a more conformant spec, but has a bigger footprint.

Microsoft has its Northwind Database and Borland/Codegear have the Kauai Dive Shoppe applications which are used to demo database techniques.

What is the Lazarus equivalent of the above?

Lazarus 2.1.0/FPC 3.2.0

TinyPortal © 2005-2018