Recent

Author Topic: Compilation speed-up  (Read 5106 times)

dmitrys99

Compilation speed-up
« on: April 13, 2005, 09:11:14 am »
Hi!

It is desired to make code compilation faster.
As I understood, Lazarus uses files to compile and then link project (due to nature of FPC). It is slow enought, I think. Is it possible to move compilation and linking in memory to speed-up this process?

Thanks for great work!

Vincent Snijders

• Administrator
    • My Lazarus wiki user page
Compilation speed-up
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2005, 09:43:47 am »
I am not sure if I understand  you.

Compilation speed would be increased by using an internal linker instead of calling the external linker ld. Writing an internal linker is not a small thing, but it is one the features the fpc team wants to add in the future. Especially on windows ld is very slow.

Anonymous

Compilation speed-up
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2005, 01:49:26 pm »
Quote from: "Vincent"
I am not sure if I understand  you.

Compilation speed would be increased by using an internal linker instead of calling the external linker ld. Writing an internal linker is not a small thing, but it is one the features the fpc team wants to add in the future. Especially on windows ld is very slow.

Yes, you understand me correctly.
I told about internal compilation and linking.
And you have answered my question completly. Thank you.

Anonymous

Compilation speed-up
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2005, 04:18:14 am »
Quote from: "Anonymous"

Yes, you understand me correctly.
I told about internal compilation and linking.
And you have answered my question completly. Thank you.

Well, could i made an other suggestion for speeding compilation. It may sound strange but I belive that could be an interresting way of doing it.

My idea is using the computer idle state tu compile any time. That mean that the compilatation is alwasy done at any time. While the code is tiping the compilation is done at the same time. Could you compile as fast at this or this is too tricky to be done that way.

Just an idea, of course, No les no more!