Recent

Author Topic: can not load default firebird client - mac Yosemite  (Read 11695 times)

timcs

can not load default firebird client - mac Yosemite
« on: November 08, 2015, 11:54:31 am »
Hi

I think I am at my wits end with this problem, I have had this happen to me before but normally I could sort this out, however I have had to install firebird 1.5 due to the interbase database being created on this version and before that I had installed firebird 2.5, neither have cured the problem and I cam across the below link

http://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php?topic=8128.0

None of these suggestions work and I do not understand one of the suggestions referring to a InitialiseIBase60 command . The libfbclient.dylib file does exist on this mac under /usr/local/lib and is a link already to the firebird location. I have even gone to the extent of added /usr/local/lib to the search path on the mac but this has not worked either.

Can someone please help as I cannot just read the database via a normal reader as the data is encrypted by the project I am trying to run to get the data off.

Thanks

TimCS

balazsszekely

Re: can not load default firebird client - mac Yosemite
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 12:45:50 pm »
Hi timcs,

can not load default firebird client
You cannot load the library or you cannot connect to the local/remote server?
If I understood you correctly after a firebird reinstall, you're unable to connect to the database? Did you check if fbserver is running(Activity Monitor)? If fb. is not running, you can always start it manually(as root). Unfortunately after a reinstall(OSX) firebird never works correctly.

You can also read this: http://paulbeachsblog.blogspot.ro/2015_02_01_archive.html

regards,
GetMem

timcs

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 01:13:00 pm »
Hi timcs,

can not load default firebird client
You cannot load the library or you cannot connect to the local/remote server?
If I understood you correctly after a firebird reinstall, you're unable to connect to the database? Did you check if fbserver is running(Activity Monitor)? If fb. is not running, you can always start it manually(as root). Unfortunately after a reinstall(OSX) firebird never works correctly.

You can also read this: http://paulbeachsblog.blogspot.ro/2015_02_01_archive.html

regards,
GetMem

Hi GetMem Thanks for your reply the error that comes up is cannot load default firebird clients when trying to make the connection to the database. The database file itself is located on the same machine. The firebird server is running yes I did check this as from many internet posts that I have tried as side from the above link in my post . Checked it again just now and it was not running,so I followed the commands in the link you provided which started it back up but I still cannot connect to the GDB database as I still get the same error message :( .

This is becoming a big problem now as I need the data in this database and I as stated before i cannot just open it in some kinda of interbase viewer because the important data is encrypted :(.

The original program was written in delphi in Windows and on trying to run that after installing Firebird does not work either. I get the log in screen that it starts with but after that , it tries to connection to the database and this also fails.

Thanks

TimCS
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 01:21:36 pm by timcs »

balazsszekely

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 02:01:00 pm »
So this is not an OSX specific issue after all. Forget your delphi and lazarus application for a moment. Go to the firebird directory(bin), type "isql" then connect 'PathToYourDB". Is this working? If yes then your database is not corrupted.

timcs

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 02:31:22 pm »
So this is not an OSX specific issue after all. Forget your delphi and lazarus application for a moment. Go to the firebird directory(bin), type "isql" then connect 'PathToYourDB". Is this working? If yes then your database is not corrupted.

Hi GetMem I will give this a go but it might take a while because I have not really used isql before so I might have learn how to do this first.

Also the issue on the Windows side could be related to the way firebird has been installed. I chose firebird 1.5 because this has been the version that worked with this database when it was original created. However I have tried to upgrade the database using both nbackup and gbak without success on the Windows machine with a copy of this database. The message on nbackup was down to the database being older but the message on gbak was on about the username and password but I know that what I entered was correct the standard sysdba and masterkey so I do not know why it errored on that.

Thanks

TimCS
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 02:33:55 pm by timcs »

timcs

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 02:53:42 pm »
Hi GetMem I run the below and get this error :

SQL> CONNECT /Users/timcs/Lazarus/CATPASS.GDB;
Statement failed, SQLCODE = -902

Your user name and password are not defined. Ask your database administrator to set up a Firebird login.
SQL>

I think what has happened is that I had added my user to the firebird group but because I had installed firebird 2.5 and then installed 1.5 without removing 2.5, I found a script that remove the firebird installation which I think included the groups , now even though I have reinstalled firebird I am wondering if the script removed me from the group as well.

What I will do is try and add my user to the group again and see what happens. I have not got to find that page again with the commands for the mac on adding my user to the firebird group.

** EDIT **

Just added my user to the firebird group and it has made no difference to this message :(

Thanks

TimCS
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 02:58:56 pm by timcs »

balazsszekely

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2015, 03:41:50 pm »

timcs

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2015, 03:47:21 pm »
@timcs

http://www.firebirdsql.org/manual/qsg10-connecting.html#d0e1104

Can you get to the part: "SQL>".

No I cannot even when I issue the CONNECT statement that error comes up, I did read the manually to get this far so I cannot understand this at all.

At the moment I am trying another route, on the Mac I have firebird 1.5 which I have now managed (I think) to backup the database. On reading about this, to convert the database to the latest firebird version, I restore it on a higher version. So on my Windows machine , I will attempt to do just that.

Unless you can suggest anything else

Thanks

TimCS

balazsszekely

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2015, 04:01:02 pm »
If you have windows then please switch to windows and try the same or upload the database somewhere. I can do a backup/restore or export the metadata if necessary.

timcs

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2015, 04:05:50 pm »
So this way of backing up on 1.5 of firebird and restoring to 2.5 on the windows machine has allowed me to open the program on the windows machine that has already been compiled all be it an older version of my program. However if I then try and use this via lazarus (because I have not got a complied copy on the mac) I am getting a very different error message :

IBConnection1 : DoInternalConnect :

-unsupported on-disk structure for the file /Users/timcs/Lazarus/Security list/CATPASS.GDB found 32779.10, support <Missing arg #5 - possibly status vector overflow>

This is really annoying now as I could really do with it working on the Mac more than it working on Windows. Oh forgot to mention that as the Mac had 1.5 , I removed this version and installed 2.5.4

** EDIT **

It seems that installing 2.5 on the mac either runs differently -  I had to start it manually and then had to put 777 permissions on the database file. It seems to be working enough for me to get the data out now . However Lazarus appears to be less stable on Yosemite as everytime I quit the running program it does not stop within Lazarus and various debug errors come up.

Thanks

TimCS
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 04:22:53 pm by timcs »

balazsszekely

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2015, 04:18:29 pm »
You made a backup/restore on windows...the database version is 2.5. Then you trying to connect on mac with firebird 1.5. This not gonna work.

Now I'm asking this one more time: can you connect to the database under windows? Do you see the tables, triggers, stored procs, etc...? If yes then the firebird installation under mac is corrupted.

PS: If you see that message, apparently the mac version is still 1.5(http://www.firebirdfaq.org/faq80/).
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 04:23:32 pm by GetMem »

timcs

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2015, 04:22:35 pm »
You made a backup/restore on windows...the database version is 2.5. Then you trying to connect on mac with firebird 1.5. This not gonna work.

Now I'm asking this one more time: can you connect to the database under windows? Do you see the tables, triggers, stored procs, etc...? If yes then the firebird installation under mac is corrupted.

PS: If you see that message, apparently the mac version is still 1.5.

Hi GetMem please read my edited post for an update

balazsszekely

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2015, 04:31:09 pm »
Ok, I' m glad it's working now. Yes, there was some issues with the gdb(debugger not database) please search the forums for more details. I'm still using Mountain Lion.

timcs

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2015, 04:37:01 pm »
Ok, I' m glad it's working now. Yes, there was some issues with the gdb(debugger not database) please search the forums for more details. I'm still using Mountain Lion.

I did have to get the gdb working from a post and from the wiki using the homebrew method but even after that it still comes up with problems and I added the certificate in as well.

Thanks

TimCS

balazsszekely

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2015, 04:40:51 pm »
Which version of lazarus and fpc? Did you try the trunk?
A lot of things was fixed lately. Two methods to get the latest version:

https://github.com/LongDirtyAnimAlf/Reiniero-fpcup
http://www.getlazarus.org/

It won't interfere with your current installation.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018