Recent

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
General / Re: JEDI error but unit compiles??
« Last post by Thaddy on March 27, 2024, 09:41:46 pm »
well, fix jedi..... if you want to  use it.
Other / Re: A "leisure" question on Wirthian languages.
« Last post by marcov on March 27, 2024, 09:29:53 pm »
I do understand your point, but then, the problem would have been solved: C, C++, Java (huge ecosystem, etc)...

First, in such discussions, a complete tool is selected. E.g.  Visual Studio xxxx with C++ and MFC. Not vague monikers as "C++" that can morph depending on the question asked. Since if you add libraries and frameworks to the mix, the results are often not portable.

And besides languages, tools, libraries and frameworks as a whole also can have disadvantages.  Visual Studio (classic) is not portable, GCC+Clang+QT complicated, and possible licensing issues. Java is GCed and abstracts too much away from the machine for machine specific tasks (IMHO Java is only good for large app servers)

But most importantly, remain concrete. Set a task (in my case a Windows GUI application that must connect to ethernet cameras, I/O boards and other hardware and must have easily modifyable/updatable GUI).
« Last post by EventHorizon on March 27, 2024, 09:24:47 pm »
I always try to do that, judge tools, and not languages.  So language, specific compiler, libraries, frameworks, IDE, designer, component availability, the number of different applications (e.g . console/GUI/serverapp/embedded/mobile) etc.  In short: fitness for purpose, here and now.

Language discussions are pretty futile, get horribly abstract and subjective(e.g. which feature is considered "more" important?).
I do understand your point, but then, the problem would have been solved: C, C++, Java (huge ecosystem, etc)...
« Last post by marcov on March 27, 2024, 09:07:25 pm »
As, always, a very thorough reply. Thank you!

To the conversation now. Do I detect a "hate" against Rust?   :P

No, I don't know it enough, it is just the only candidate named till now in this thread that might make the cut. The rest are destined to be niche players, probably even more so than FPC/Lazarus.

Honestly, I think it is very complicated -even its syntax. I am not an IT person (trying languages just for pleasure and mental exercise),

That's also what I heard. It is being pushed to hopefully push security awareness, and that security focus seems to be somewhat undisputed in highly sensitive code. I hear some doubts about the practicalities outside that world though.

but perhaps, persons like I are a kind of measure of "friendliness" of a tool. I might be wrong of course.

I always try to do that, judge tools, and not languages.  So language, specific compiler, libraries, frameworks, IDE, designer, component availability, the number of different applications (e.g . console/GUI/serverapp/embedded/mobile) etc.  In short: fitness for purpose, here and now.

Language discussions are pretty futile, get horribly abstract and subjective(e.g. which feature is considered "more" important?).
General / Re: JEDI error but unit compiles??
« Last post by bobonwhidbey on March 27, 2024, 08:48:58 pm »
How can I discover that?  Lots of trial and error by commenting out many lines?  Is there a better way - the pas file is 2,000 lines long.
Options / Re: Completion box show identifiers in pink colors instead of green
« Last post by Martin_fr on March 27, 2024, 08:44:09 pm »
Currently, the missing element is the style configurator for the completion box. So I don't know if it makes sense to report it in bugtracker.

Yes, please report.

It probably is easy to add. But it's even easier to forget. And if on the tracker, maybe someone else from the team picks it up, before I find the time...
« Last post by EventHorizon on March 27, 2024, 08:40:48 pm »
Just in these days I am doing something with 2 Modula-2 compilers.
If you come across something for linux, except (gnu m2, which is  :-[ ), I would appreciate a notification. It is a language a would like to give it a try. 
« Last post by EventHorizon on March 27, 2024, 08:38:43 pm »
Just in these days I am doing something with 2 Modula-2 compilers.
They once were commercial products, now released as free.
- XDS is free and opensource, , it's a compiler (only for Win), with good performance in my minimal tests; but it's also a transpiler to Ansi/C. It compile/translate also Oberon2  https://github.com/excelsior-oss/xds-2.60/
- ADW is free compiler with a decent IDE, and good help https://www.modula2.org/adwm2/

There is also a PascalABCNet, a Pascal compiler for Dotnet. Interesting product, being Dotnet so widely used. It's done, guess...? in one russian institution :-) It's free,  and opensource. https://pascalabc.net/en/

Today the C type syntax is very, very loved, see from "old" Java to "young" Rust, Go, and more.
Maybe there is a strong reason to use it versus Pascal type, maybe not. Apart verbosity.

On the other hand, Ruby, Python are consider friendlier for a reason... isn't it? What I am trying to say (again, I might be wrong)| those languages (and others, like Nim) are more easy to understand.

[naive rant]
To my mind there are two layers:
a) on the first layer, one must tackle with all the oddities of the problem in terms of algorithms (modulo the paradigm, i.e., imperative/declarative etc)
b) on the second layer, one must "translate" the solution to a language
My feeling is that, evolution (tool-wise) is to have the ability to focus more on a) than in b). Simplicity is something which is very underestimated. That's very wrong. Take science for example (Math/Phys). The great ideas were based on simple thoughts and tools. Complexity has to do more with ... management.
That's why I am very enthralled by Wirth's OCD ( :P) for simplicity. That's why I find e.g., even the syntax of Zonnon charming!
It seems that everyone is chasing simplicity (e.g., cf. the MOTTO in Zig's webpage) but eventually this is a chimera... more concepts, more tools, more complexity.
[/naive rant]
So whatever is broken with ctnUseUnitClearName => please create a bug report.

Everything in this case works as intended. The problem is not the color inversion, but the fact that the colors for the left column are hard-coded, so not only do they not match the user's color scheme, but inverting them can produce completely crap colors (like the pink one I had).

So for now, if there is something wrong or missing, other that the invert color => bugtracker please.

Currently, the missing element is the style configurator for the completion box. So I don't know if it makes sense to report it in bugtracker.
« Last post by Awkward on March 27, 2024, 08:29:03 pm »
small addition for university abandoned realization of Win32 compiler:
https://github.com/askfind/strannik (Modula-2 / C / Pascal compiler)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]

TinyPortal © 2005-2018