Recent

Author Topic: Problem with Form Colors under Linux  (Read 10141 times)

Spock67

Problem with Form Colors under Linux
« on: April 16, 2005, 12:39:26 am »
Hello,

I discover the Lazarus under Linux [ MDK V10.0 ] but I'am a confirmed developper under Delphi / Windows.
I cannot change the Background Color of a Form with the properties editor or under code,
for example :

procedure TForm1.Button1Click(Sender: TObject);
begin
  Form1.Color:= clRed; // or Color:= clRed;
end;

-> Nothing is do for the Background Color of the Form. Why ?

Many thanks to all ,for a answer to this question.

Spock67  8)

johny_cage

• http://www.cage.za.pl
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2005, 10:25:01 pm »
I have the same, under Aurox 10.1

Foxtrot

• http://audiopercepcion.blogspot.com
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 06:43:15 am »
I've been using Lazarus since today and I can't change the form background color. It remains in an awful gray mood. I have Fedora Core 3 and Gnome. This forum seems a bit death. Is it me?

matthijs

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2005, 03:23:33 pm »
No this forum is not dead :) The problem of colors has been adressed before. Maybe it is in the bugtracker, if not you can always report it. I remember a discussion about colors from some time back, I just cannot remember if it was on the forum, on the maillist or on IRC.
I guess that getting the IDE working good, has the highest priority at the moment. Changing colors of a form is something one should do only if the most extreem circumstances as it might interfere with themes choosen by the user. So this might not have the highest priority
What's in a sig? Would my posting look less if it didnot have a sig? (Free after William S.) :)

:( Why cannot I upload my own Avatar? :(

Foxtrot

• http://audiopercepcion.blogspot.com
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2005, 05:58:37 pm »
Already, then. Maybe I've had the wrong approach to the problem. Here's the deal. I've been making a small audioperception and musical reading program under Delphi. Here's a snapshot. Perhaps, there's another way just to turn the background of the main window to white. I tought that changing the form color would do it fine. I put a giant white rectangle and it works just fine, again, the obvious solution was to obvious for my taste. Thanks for the quick response. It's been a pleasure to discover Lazarus. My problem IS SOLVED

:D :D  :D  :D

(http://photos5.flickr.com/9002301_1dfa7132b3.jpg)

matthijs

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2005, 06:46:01 pm »
If I had to draw things I would use a TPaintBox. You can set the brush to clWhite and the pen to clBlack to get the desired effect.
What's in a sig? Would my posting look less if it didnot have a sig? (Free after William S.) :)

eric

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2005, 08:55:54 am »
Quote from: "matthijs"
Changing colors of a form is something one should do only if the most extreem circumstances as it might interfere with themes choosen by the user. So this might not have the highest priority

The problem here, of course, is that you're talking about the GTK theme. I don't have a GTK theme; I don't use Gnome; even if I did, it would be GTK2, not GTK1.
I don't want to moan; I know that the developers are working for nothing, and they have achieved a tremendous amount. But for me, the inability to set colours and fonts in my programs is a BIG turn-off.

Eric

matthijs

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2005, 11:52:30 am »
Quote from: "eric"
The problem here, of course, is that you're talking about the GTK theme. [...]
But for me, the inability to set colours and fonts in my programs is a BIG turn-off.

I'm not only talking about GTK. Windows has themes as well since XP and users have been able to choose their own color scheme for a long time as well. With this in mind, I warned about using other colors.
I guess Foxtrot has a legimit reason to change colors as he wants to mimick music written on paper, but in this case he should not use the Form canvas but something like a Paintbox.
I agree with you however that it would be nice to be able to change colors and rather necessary to be able to change fonts. But if something is a turn off you could work on it, to make it better. It can be quit a thrill (somebody told me :) ) to discover a bug and be able to solve it yourself and share the solution with the community.

eric

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2005, 02:30:57 pm »
Quote from: "matthijs"
I agree with you however that it would be nice to be able to change colors and rather necessary to be able to change fonts. But if something is a turn off you could work on it, to make it better.

You're absolutely right of course, and I could find the time. But I haven't got the skill. I must look at other ways to contribute to the project.

Eric

TinyPortal © 2005-2018