Recent

Author Topic: Does anyone have access to Modern Delphi, C# and/or VB?  (Read 4974 times)

Avishai

Does anyone have access to Modern Delphi, C# and/or VB?
« on: August 27, 2012, 05:03:57 pm »
Does anyone have access to Modern Delphi, C# and/or VB?  I would like to know how or even if they support Globalization.  Specifically, I want to know if they have properties for the following and what effect they have.

property Language;
  As in Human Language.  If so, does this effect the Keyboard/Input Language? 
  Does it set the correct Sort Order for controls with StringLists?
  Is this at only at the Application Level or can it be set for each control?

property BiDiMode;
  Does setting to RightToLeft mirror the control?  In particular, the TForm and is the Canvas mirrored? 
  Meaning is the Canvas origin is moved to the Top-Right and increasing to the Left?
Lazarus Trunk / fpc 2.6.2 / Win32

teos

Re: Does anyone have access to Modern Delphi, C# and/or VB?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 10:11:45 pm »
Property Language:
There is no such property..

Property BiDiMode:
RightToLeft: the canvas is kept as it was. 100, 100 is on the same spot.

Avishai

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 10:16:34 pm »
Thanks teos, is this for Delphi, C# or VB?  The only Delphi I have is Delphi6, and there have been a lot of changes since those days.  I'm asking because I've read some things about C#,VB that make me think they have this kind of support.  I would love to see it in Lazarus.

Edit: Presently, Lazarus does not implement BiDiMode for Windows per MicroSoft guidelines.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/goglobal/bb688119
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 10:45:11 pm by Avishai »

cdbc

• http://www.cdbc.dk
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 09:12:11 am »
Hi
I think microsoft has a free version of visual studio available  ;)
Regards Benny
If it ain't broke, don't fix it ;)
PCLinuxOS(rolling release) 64bit -> KDE5 -> FPC 3.2.2 -> Lazarus 2.2.6 up until Jan 2024 from then on it's: KDE5/QT5 -> FPC 3.3.1 -> Lazarus 3.0

Avishai

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 09:17:06 am »
Thanks cdbc, and yes they do.  Delphi also has a trial version.  But unfortunately, I can't download them from my country.  :(

JD

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 12:53:48 pm »
Thanks cdbc, and yes they do.  Delphi also has a trial version.  But unfortunately, I can't download them from my country.  :(

You too! Why so many restrictions? It's not as if every programmer intends to build a rocket launcher application or crack US nuclear codes!  >:(

Do proxy servers work for you in Israel?
Windows - Lazarus 2.1/FPC 3.2 (built using fpcupdeluxe),
Linux Mint - Lazarus 2.1/FPC 3.2 (built using fpcupdeluxe)

mORMot; Zeos 8; SQLite, PostgreSQL & MariaDB; VirtualTreeView

Avishai

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 01:57:32 pm »
Thanks JD.  It's really weird about MS.  They have such a strong presence here in Israel.  A lot of MS development has and is being done here, so it really makes no sense.  I'm not sure if the restrictions are from the US or Israel, but it makes things kind of frustrating at times.  It could be that is purely a commercial issue, trying to force people to buy from local dealers instead of on the Net.

I tried again last night to get an evaluation copy on the Net and still hit the same wall.  I don't want to buy any of them, I just want to see how or if they handle Globalization/Localization and RightToLeft.  Right now I'm handling all of that on my own, but I'm beating myself to death with it.  At least 50% of my code is workarounds and has nothing to do with the actual functioning of the programs.  I do try my best to make it reusable, but with limited success.

Mirroring a form for RightToLeft was easy enough, but getting it to work with Lazarus was really shooting in the dark.  I finally have a couple of ways to do it, but the workaround forced me to find workarounds to hide the problems they create.

At present, Lazarus does not approach RightToLeft for Windows according to MS guidelines so it makes things a bit tough.  Hopefully that will be fixed soon.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/goglobal/bb688110.aspx (This is a very good one to read)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/goglobal/bb688119 (This is only RightToLeft)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 02:02:43 pm by Avishai »

TinyPortal © 2005-2018