Recent

Author Topic: Fatal: Can't find unit FileUtil used by...  (Read 21772 times)

Ñuño_Martínez

• Burdjia
Fatal: Can't find unit FileUtil used by...
« on: February 12, 2010, 06:26:41 pm »
I'm trying to use FindDefaultExecutablePath on a program but compiler always return "Fatal: Can't find unit FileUtil used by...". I was looking at the Internet and I only find this forum topic but adding LCL to the proposed solution doesn't fix it. I did look for any fille called "fileutil" but I didn't find it.

I'm using Lazarus 0.9.28.2-0 beta, FPC 2.2.4 (i386-linux-gtk 2 (beta)) on Xubuntu 9.10 installed and updated as explained here.
Are you interested in game programming? Join the Pascal Game Development community!
Also visit the Game Development Portal

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
Re: Fatal: Can't find unit FileUtil used by...
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 10:40:37 am »
I did look for any fille called "fileutil" but I didn't find it.
Maybe your installation is broken. It should be under lcl directory.

nmn

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 10:16:22 pm »
I have the same problem on Kubunto 9.10. Lazarus cant find FileUtil when compiling a fp program. I have looked in usr -> lib -> lazarus -> lcl, and find fileutil.o and fileutil.ppu there, locate from the konsole also find the files. How do I tell Lazarus where FileUtil is?

Also, I tried to open a file from the menu, but it was not possible, I had to draw the file from dolphin onto the editor. Is the Kubuntu 9.10 install fully broken? I used Synaptic to install Lazarus from the repository.

I am a newbie to fp and Lazarus.

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 06:02:04 am »
The chance is that the PPU version is incompatible and fpc tries to recompile but it can't find the source. Try recompiling LCL (use Tools->Configure Build Lazarus->set LCL to clean + build and others to none).

nmn

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 09:25:21 am »
Thank you! That solved my first problem, got no compilation error due to FileUtil not found. It didn't solve my second problem, not yet able to open a file by the file menu. I get up a menu for the opening process, but no files in the window, not able to select a directory. In fact the whole Lazarus goes into a hang situation which I have to use ESC to get out of, killing Lazarus. No error messages.

Should I remove Lazarus in Synaptic, download from Sourceforge and install? Or is it possible to get around the problem in another way? I use Kubuntu 9.10 on an (old) 32 bits Dell Dimension PC. It is not satisfactory to drag and drop files onto the editor window.

Solving this problem(s) I may get started to learn some more and may be use fp and Lazarus for a programming project.

Ñuño_Martínez

• Burdjia
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 10:44:30 am »
Hi.

I'm not sure why it does works now, but it does. :o May be I forgot something...
Are you interested in game programming? Join the Pascal Game Development community!
Also visit the Game Development Portal

Bart

• Bart en Mariska's Webstek
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 11:08:13 am »
... It didn't solve my second problem, not yet able to open a file by the file menu. I get up a menu for the opening process, but no files in the window, not able to select a directory. In fact the whole Lazarus goes into a hang situation which I have to use ESC to get out of, killing Lazarus. No error messages.

See: http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=15114 in particular the notes on qtcurve theme for GTK2.
This may apply to your situation.
In that case disabling qtcurve should solve the problem.

Bart

nmn

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 01:15:36 pm »
Thank you for your tips!

As I have pointed out before: I am a newbie in fpc and Lazarus programming.

I looked at your given address, but couldn't see how it should solve may problem. I have tried to remove all Lazarus and fpc files by synaptic and reinstalled from http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Getting_Lazarus#Getting_Lazarus_from_our_Ubuntu_repository

No help. Same errors as installing from synaptic. Going to the File menu and selecting Open does in fact lock Lazarus IDE after displaying the window where one presumably should be able to select a directory and a file to open.  I don't know where the bug is, but certainly it may be somewhere in Lazarus or the way it is set up, may be an erroneous library path somewhere on the Kubuntu 9.10 system. If I can't get this solved Lazarus will not be useful for me, and I need a GUI programming tool.

nmn

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 02:42:34 pm »
I have got it solved. I have not installed qtcurve, so I don't understand why it is conflicting with Lazarus. Changing the teme from qtcurve in systems settings changed the behavior of Lazarus, Open file worked. It seems to be something with Lazarus on the KDE.  It should not be so, but ...

http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=15747

TinyPortal © 2005-2018