Recent

Author Topic: Translate the Object inspector...Is it possible?  (Read 35145 times)

elender

Translate the Object inspector...Is it possible?
« on: December 03, 2009, 02:01:10 pm »
Hi Everyone! I'd like to know if there is how to Translate the Object inspector(To brazilian portuguese)...Is it possible? You Know, Instead of Caption it could be "Título", those things. (I think this would help a lot of beginners....)

Olá pessoal... será que tem como traduzir o inspetor de objetos? para potuguês? tipo em vez de Caption poderia ser escrito Título, essas coisas... O que vocês acham?

Ocye

• Scrabble3D
Re: Translate the Object inspector...Is it possible?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 05:01:06 pm »
Please don't do so! It's hard enough to understand non-english variable names but if a type name changes  :o
Lazarus 1.7 (SVN) FPC 3.0.0

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 06:05:21 pm »
The names shown in the Object Inspector are the same as the names of the properties published by the object.

The object inspector can display properties of any (not only LCL) *registered* object.

The properties can be accessed by the same name in the source code (eg Panel1.Caption := "ABC"; Panel1.Left := 5;).
So it is explicitly wanted that the OI should not display names that differ from the declaration in the source

The only way to have other names in the OI would therefore be, to translate the whole LCL. Doing so would end you with a translated snapshot, and would need to be done from scratch for each new Lazarus release => not a practical solution.

I don't know where the OI get's it's hints from (if hints are enabled in options). I might be possible to rewrite the hint system to use the FPDoc info, and the fpdoc info can be translated...
But as I said: I don't know to much about the hints in the OI...

theo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 06:35:58 pm »
I don't know where the OI get's it's hints from (if hints are enabled in options). I might be possible to rewrite the hint system to use the FPDoc info, and the fpdoc info can be translated...

Or the Infobox at the bottom of OI (if enabled in Options).

Blaazen

• POKE 54296,15
    • Eye-Candy Controls
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 12:49:09 am »
I remeber some older versions of Microsoft Excel. It had completely translated macros (in Visual Basic) to czech language. Everybody hated it.
I want keep Lazarus in english. In OI is some fifty english words and it is not so hard to learn them. English is international language of programmers and many people has installed some vocabulary application. Also for beginners it is good - they learn english and programming at the same time.
Lazarus 2.3.0 (rev main-2_3-2863...) FPC 3.3.1 x86_64-linux-qt Chakra, Qt 4.8.7/5.13.2, Plasma 5.17.3
Lazarus 1.8.2 r57369 FPC 3.0.4 i386-win32-win32/win64 Wine 3.21

Try Eye-Candy Controls: https://sourceforge.net/projects/eccontrols/files/

typo

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 12:56:39 am »
Also for beginners it is good - they learn english and programming at the same time.

LOL, it is useful to this too. But sometimes the programmer is very much better in Pascal than in English.

Sometimes, also, English is considered The Hateful Empire language.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 01:06:53 am by typo »

Blaazen

• POKE 54296,15
    • Eye-Candy Controls
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 01:08:47 am »
But sometimes the programmer is very much better in Pascal than in English.

But Pascal itself is english (while, for, begin, end, read, write and many others).

Anyway - is good for such beginner to have translated GUI, menu and everything, but NOT properties of components.
Lazarus 2.3.0 (rev main-2_3-2863...) FPC 3.3.1 x86_64-linux-qt Chakra, Qt 4.8.7/5.13.2, Plasma 5.17.3
Lazarus 1.8.2 r57369 FPC 3.0.4 i386-win32-win32/win64 Wine 3.21

Try Eye-Candy Controls: https://sourceforge.net/projects/eccontrols/files/

typo

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 01:15:58 am »
I think that for now English is good, but the long-term trend is to nationalize.

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 02:21:32 am »
For language keywords, it is still possible through the use of additional keyword lookup table. But for others (unit names, class names, property names, method names) that would mean creating a whole new libraries.

mas steindorff

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 03:52:55 am »
As Lazarus was raised from the dead, can the same be done with Latin?
Probably too dusty :)

a object can be the class of new object.  it just takes a lot of typing to offer a second property that does the same as the original.
when the original gets updated, the translated one still works, just with new English names.

(not something I would volunteer for)

the user of these new objects will also be limited on asking for help or cross checking Dephi sorce...
windows 10 &11, Ubuntu 21+ IDE 3.2.2 general releases

irfanbagus

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 05:55:34 am »
Even though it possible does not mean it makes your job faster or easier. Imagine a case like this. If property's name in the object inspector show "nama" ("name" in Indonesian), how to change the property's value in runtime?

Button1.Name: =''a ';

or

Button1.Nama: = "a";

If both are possible, your program more difficult to read because you have to read the documentation (LCL, fcl, etc. ..) in 2 (or more) languages. If the first option is chosen, will be very difficult because the name property in the object inspector is different with the code editor (and you end up using 2 languages). if the second option is chosen, then you must translate the source code you get from a third party into your language.

Please remember, lazarus is tools for developers, not end users. Software for the end user need language support, but Lazarus did not (probably need to menus or error messages but not for programming language).

Chronos

• PascalClassLibrary
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 08:40:22 am »
Indeed it is not matter of if it is possible but who would want to do that and what will be advantages and disadvantages. If someone want to do complete localization of all words in RTL, LCL and other libraries he can do this. But people using such libraries will be separated from rest of community and they should word for their own.

So basically someone have to create special application for translating all source code files to chosen language. Such software would have to work with PascalCase naming system.

Parts of localization process:
  • Lazarus IDE
  • Various lazarus packages, components
  • Pascal keywords
  • FPC messages
  • Libraries source code, RTL, other FPC packages
  • Documentation, web, wiki pages

I think it would be pretty interesting project and I would like to see libraries in native language too.
After all pascal was developed specially for learning programming basics.

theo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 11:17:11 am »

Idiotic.
If you have a problem with the USA, then don't blame it on the english language.
The english language is coming from Europe.
If I had a problem with Brazil, I would not think that the language of the Portuguese has anything to do with it.

typo

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 05:06:10 pm »
Idiotic.

Perhaps, but there are people who think so.

I have no problem with USA but if I do so I do not think I have something to explain to you, though.

For me it is enough to recognize that there is a demand in this regard.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 06:28:40 pm by typo »

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 08:50:27 pm »

After all pascal was developed specially for learning programming basics.

This must be one of the most abused facts about Pascal.

While Pascal was created for teaching purposes, it was designed to teach algorithmic notation to master math students with an interest in computing.

Not to teach beginners.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018