Recent

Author Topic: recommended Linux distribution for FPC and Lazarus  (Read 41660 times)

ZL

recommended Linux distribution for FPC and Lazarus
« on: November 03, 2009, 01:57:37 pm »
Hello all,

I have just very basic knowledge and experience with Linux and I want to try to compile few FPC/Lazarus projects for Linux.
What distributions are recommended to be not too difficult to use and compatible with FPC/Lazarus?

LazaruX

• Lazarus original cheetah.The cheetah doesn't cheat
Re: recommended Linux distribution for FPC and Lazarus
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 02:20:19 pm »
I have tried different distributions in the years, and I can tell you PCLinuxOS has been the one I liked the most. Its easy to use and nice. To install Lazarus you have to solve some small dependencies, but very few.

Blaazen

• POKE 54296,15
    • Eye-Candy Controls
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 02:50:32 pm »
Hi,
I use Kubuntu 9.04 64bit and Qt widgetset and also works fine.
B.
Lazarus 2.3.0 (rev main-2_3-2863...) FPC 3.3.1 x86_64-linux-qt Chakra, Qt 4.8.7/5.13.2, Plasma 5.17.3
Lazarus 1.8.2 r57369 FPC 3.0.4 i386-win32-win32/win64 Wine 3.21

Try Eye-Candy Controls: https://sourceforge.net/projects/eccontrols/files/

theo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 02:53:34 pm »
OpenSUSE's 1-Click Installation is easy for installing lazarus:

http://software.opensuse.org/search?baseproject=openSUSE%3A11.1&p=1&q=lazarus

Troodon

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 03:12:45 pm »
Lazarus/FPC installs easily from repositories on Linux Ubuntu (8.04-9.04-9.10) and Suse (SLED 10-11).
Lazarus/FPC on Linux

LazaruX

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 03:28:40 pm »
I consider SuSE a huge distribution, good for servers, but too much for a normal user.
PCLinusOS, ubuntu, are small and simpler,
Consider,
PCLOS or ubuntu = 1 CD
SuSE = 5 CD or 1 DVD

---

Choosing a distribution is not that easy, you have to ask your self what do you want?
A distribution:
- small in size, to fit on a USB stick (choose Puppy Linux)
- small in RAM usage, (choose Puppy Linux, or a distribution that uses XFCE, LXDE, JWM,...)
- a distribution with everything included (choose SuSE)
- a very easy distribution (choose Ubuntu, PCLinuxOS)
- a Windows like distribution (choose something with KDE)
- a cool graphic distribution (choose something that has Compiz Fusion on it)
In the Linux world it's like playing Lego. You have different "blocks" (KDE, GNOME, XFCE,...), different architectures, different bootloaders (GRUB, LILO), distributions are just different ways to assemblate those components. I suggest you to try different distribution and finally you will find what you need.
I have tryed different distro's always thinking this is the best, but then after 6 months my needs changed and i switched.
Everybody has different tastes, different needs, my suggestion try one of those big distro's to begin using Lazarus on Linux, later on when you are more experienced, you will be able to choose.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 09:36:19 am by BPsoftware »

• KSP website
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 03:54:37 pm »
I consider SuSE a huge distribution, good for servers, but too much for a normal user.
PCLinusOS, ubuntu, are small and simpler,
Consider,
PCLOS or ubuntu = 1 CD
SuSE = 5 CD or 1 DVD
For server are rather CentOS or so. OpenSUSE is definitely for desktops. Second thing is that if you are installing it on machine with internet connection then you don't have to download whole DVD, just mini cd and install over net (download only what you need). Third thing is that you always can download LiveCD which is 700 MB.

theo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 04:07:52 pm »
Unlike Ubuntu/Kubuntu OpenSuSE installation contains everything KDE 3/4, Gnome, etc.
But you don't have to install everything.

ZL

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 06:15:33 pm »
Thank you all! I'll read a little about each distribution you have mentioned here and then I'll try to choose :)

Peter_Vadasz

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 08:55:37 pm »
Hello!

I think, you should try Zenwalk Linux too. It is a small, lightweight, slackware based distribution. Perhaps it is not as userfriendly as Ubuntu or Suse but I think it would be a good choice. You can find Free Pascal in its repos and you should "install" lazaraus from source (it works fine for me;)).

PS.: Sorry for my english, I use this language very rarely.
Lazarus: 1.0.8
FPC: 2.6.2

Sybren13

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2009, 09:26:26 pm »
Hello.

I've read this forum with great interest. I too struggle to install Lazarus on a Linux distro. I'm a newbie to Linux, but pretty well knowleadgeable in Windows, but I soon discovered that everything I learned to do in Windows has no value in Linux whatsoever.
So, I tried Ubuntu (9.04 -> 9.10), Open SUSE 11.1 (DVD!), Fedora 12 and Debian and then installed Lazarus. Or better: I tried and got lost in dependencies, errors, missing Libraries and endlessly slow systems (OpenSUSE), used rpm and deb, learned about apt and other commands.

But Lazarus never worked. Only in Fedora I got it installed, but then lX11 was missing, so stuck again.

Can this forum help me to overcome these 'minor dependencies'? I'll start to install PCLinuxOS as a good suggestion from BPSoftware, but how to overcome the 'few dependencies'? I use a spare Athlon XP system (not 64bit).

Teo

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 10:25:14 pm »
I have just started Lazarus on Linux (Lazarus in general) and I have tried Ubuntu and several other distributions, spent several hours on finding useable info on how to install Lazarus.

Ubuntu did not work for me. Took hours, downloading both binaries and sources and trying to get it all to work. Trouble is: when used to Windows, everything including folders and rights are very new.

Finally I downloaded OpenSuse 11.3 and trough the one click installer on opensuse.org I managed to install Lazarus, only after trying all of the installer packages untill one worked. The others just tried to screw up the Linux installation.

For trying Lazarus as a newbie I would recommend Opensuse. You can always switch to a different distro once you get some first impressions. I got it to work. Complete newbie.

The only thing left that I run into is setting read/write access on folders used for Lazarus projects. I can't imagine that there is no way to set those rights on my home/user/documents folder and have those rights on files and folders below.

For people coming from Delphi on Windows there is one major things (speaking from 10 years as developer in Delphi) left. One is the way Lazarus uses package folders or paths in a project. I still don't understand what newbie who never installed a package in Delphi decided for this approach.

• KSP website
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2009, 11:03:29 pm »
Finally I downloaded OpenSuse 11.3 and trough the one click installer on opensuse.org I managed to install Lazarus, only after trying all of the installer packages untill one worked. The others just tried to screw up the Linux installation.

For trying Lazarus as a newbie I would recommend Opensuse. You can always switch to a different distro once you get some first impressions. I got it to work. Complete newbie. 
In case of openSUSE it is better to wait a few days since in a few days there will be openSUSE 11.2 released. Also rpm packages from http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=89339 should work with it.

LazaruX

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2009, 11:28:51 pm »
@Sybren13

After installing PCLinuxOS, go to the Lazarus download page and download all the .rpm packages for example into:
/home/sybren/Downloads

Open Synaptic (one of the icons in the taskbarm the red/black icon)
I am now not on Linux, but you should look for something called like this\
libgtk-devel
pixbuf

Install them
open a Terminal (something like cmd in the windows world), there write:

Code: [Select]
suThen enter your password
Write (remember Linux is case sensitive):

Code: [Select]
cd /home/sybren/Downloads
rpm -Uvh fpc-src-2.2.4-0.i386.rpm
rpm -Uvh fpc-2.2.4-0.i386.rpm
rpm -Uvh fpc_crosswin32-2.2.4-091006.i386.rpm
rpm -Uvh lazarus-0.9.28-0.i386.rpm

Lazarus can now be found in the start menu and should be working, I may have forgotten something, in case you have problems let me know.
These instructions apply to Lazarus 0.9.28
Version 0.9.28.2, gave me some problems and I didn't had the time to try to fix it.

TurboRascal

• "Good sysadmin. Bad programmer."™
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2009, 03:50:07 pm »
Unlike Ubuntu/Kubuntu OpenSuSE installation contains everything KDE 3/4, Gnome, etc.
But you don't have to install everything.

How do you mean "Unlike Ubuntu"... Ubuntu contains everything but the kitchen sink :D

And it's easy to install lazarus, just add the lazarus repository and install it and its dependencies from Synaptic.
Regards, ArNy the Turbo Rascal
-
"The secret is to give them what they need, not what they want." - Scotty, STTNG:Relics

TinyPortal © 2005-2018