Recent

Author Topic: recommended Linux distribution for FPC and Lazarus  (Read 41667 times)

TurboRascal

• "Good sysadmin. Bad programmer."™
Re: recommended Linux distribution for FPC and Lazarus
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2009, 03:57:44 pm »
In case of openSUSE it's rather sentiment. SuSE 5 was my first Linux :) And remember that origins of SuSE/openSUSE are in... Slackware not RedHat :D

You're right, I forgot that. Nowadays I tend to lump all RPM-based distros together to the "Red Hat based" group :D  I actually never used a RPM-based distro (longer than 5-10 minutes that is).
And my first one was Slackware ;)
;)   ...i knew this was going to be a distro war  :P
You bet! It always is ;)

For example you know someone who uses Debian and he is willing to help you with it then even distribution like Debian or Slack may not be bad idea.

You said it great. I bet someone who uses Debian or even Slackware, maintained by someone who knows, would actually have much easier time than even a windoze user if clueless and without anyone's help!
Regards, ArNy the Turbo Rascal
-
"The secret is to give them what they need, not what they want." - Scotty, STTNG:Relics

dieselnutjob

« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2009, 10:06:08 pm »
I have been a Debian user for years and I love it to bits, but it takes a long time to learn.
As far as I'm concerned Debian and Ubuntu are the same thing.
Installing software that Debian or Ubuntu give you as part of the distro is easy because if you just apt-get install it.  In one command the OS will figure out all of the dependencies and download and install everything that you need, but no more.
It means I can start off with a tiny minimum install from a 120meg ISO image and then grow it.
How cool is that?

However....

Suppose I want a package that is not supplied by Debian.  Then things get interesting.
Either you need to find someone who has put together a server which has the stuff you need and add their repository to you /etc/apt/sources.list

a good example is debian-multimedia.org
of course you have to trust them though because whoever maintains that server can put anything on your machine if you use it

But what if there is no kind soul who has done that before you.  Then I'm afraid you have to handle the dependancies yourself.

Basically you download the lazarus and fpc .deb packages that you want into a folder
then you do
cd folder
dpkg -i *.deb

Now you are going to get a bunch of errors because of unmet dependancies.

Now you go to http://packages.debian.org and find the missing packages
do
apt-get install list-of-packages

then you try dpkg -i *.deb again

you might find that you get dependencies where you already have the right package but it's not new enough

in that case you have to hunt around for a newer package (maybe from ubuntu or an experimental release of debian) and add that into the folder

eventually you either destroy your system or have a working lazarus

that's how I did it anyway

not for the faint of heart though.

I'm afraid that part of the problem is that developers put a .deb package together for their software and fill in the dependencies for what they've got.  Suppose that they have somesw.09 and you have only somesw.07 because debian Lenny includes .07
It doesn't mean that the software necessarily actually needs .09, but because thats what the developer had that's what he puts.
because he does that he effectively forces you to upgrade half of your stable system to the same level as his bleeding edge developer box, which is a nightmare

Personally I wish that developers/package maintainers would actually try out their package on a freshly built stable release box, but they just don't.

I'm not sure how rpm based systems like fedora would behave any differently as I have invested so many years in Debian that I'm not going to bother to find out now.

I've also used NetBSD and the pkgsrc system has some remarkably similar characteristics to apt with its dependency checking etc.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 10:08:59 pm by dieselnutjob »

• KSP website
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2009, 10:15:39 pm »
In FC or CentOS you have yum instead of apt (works similar way, offers the same set of features), in openSUSE there is zypper.

dieselnutjob

« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2009, 11:38:35 pm »
I just upgraded from fpc 2.2.2 to 2.2.4 and from lazarus 0.9.26 to 0.9.28 using the two files
fpc-2.2.4-3.i386.deb.tar
lazarus_0.9.28.2_i386.deb.tar
from the download section of the lazarus home page
this is on my Debian Lenny desktop
to be honest it was completely painless and I didn't need anything else at all
Just untar the two folders
go into the fpc folder first and do "dpkg -i *.deb"
then go into the lazarus folder and do "dpkg -i *.deb"
and one minute later I have a working lazarus 0.9.28 install
nice

alejol0

• Electronic technician
    • My Facebook page
Maybe you can try Puppy Linux :-)
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2009, 08:16:11 pm »
Hi, recently I have made a remastered Puppy 4.3.1 with Lazarus 0.9.28.2 and FPC 2.2.4, you can download:
Puppy_4_3_1_with_Lazarus_0_9_28_2_needs_480MB_RAM.iso
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EHKHH6Z8

The MD5 sum is fa94102ecf1bf5c29f629148667399fc and the file size is 330 MB. Is a live CD; you reboot with this and use Lazarus (no installation required; and the installation is easy, you have a wizard
in the desktop).
Contact me: lavarello1966 (at) gmail . com
or
alejandro.lavarello (at) gmail (dot) com

Rangsynth

« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2010, 07:56:20 pm »
Hello,

I tested Lazarus this morning with Puppy Linux 4.31 and it was simple. No building anything, just link up the right .sfs files in the puppy Bootup Configure utility and then Lazarus was ready to go after reboot.

I downloaded Puppy 4.31, and then devx_431.sfs which is at the same puppy site, and then I got this interesting .sfs that contains a built and ready lazarus from the link at puppyspace.

From: http://petstore.puppyspace.org/s5d/utility/lazarus-0.9.28.2-complete.sfs
To: C:\download\lazarus-0.9.28.2-complete.sfs
Size: 114.4 MB (119,877,632 bytes)
Transferred: 114.4 MB (119,877,632 bytes)

Once rebooted, I found lazarus in the utility menu of the puppy start menu, and then I was able to just run it. The only glitch is that everytime it starts up it wants to save a file called %f, but this is no problem and you can just click Ok and then proceed to using the forms designer and editors like you normally would.

The lazarus is helping a lot with some things I want to port to linux and I would recommend this above approach to anyone who wants to get the lazarus up and running quickly.

The puppy linux 4.31 system runs fast and building and working is overall better in my opinion than when using windows with lazarus, but this must be because the lazarus is a linux program.

a.atalla

« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2010, 11:55:48 pm »
fedora linux is the best  __Big Fan  :) __
just use the repos
Code: [Select]
su
yum install lazarus
that will install fpc,fpc-src,lazarus 0.9.28 and all neede devel. packages

i am working in a small project  for fedora with lazarus

http://bitbucket.org/a_atalla/hello-fedora/wiki/Home
Lazarus 1.0.8 | FPC 2.6.2 x64  | Arch Linux x64 | Windows 7-x86