Recent

Author Topic: recommended Linux distribution for FPC and Lazarus  (Read 41717 times)

• KSP website
Re: recommended Linux distribution for FPC and Lazarus
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2009, 05:55:36 pm »
Unlike Ubuntu/Kubuntu OpenSuSE installation contains everything KDE 3/4, Gnome, etc.
But you don't have to install everything.

How do you mean "Unlike Ubuntu"... Ubuntu contains everything but the kitchen sink :D

And it's easy to install lazarus, just add the lazarus repository and install it and its dependencies from Synaptic.
I think the meant that when you download openSUSE and you try GNOME, you don't like it, you don't have to download anything else to try KDE since both are on one DVD.

TurboRascal

• "Good sysadmin. Bad programmer."™
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2009, 03:17:06 pm »
I think the meant that when you download openSUSE and you try GNOME, you don't like it, you don't have to download anything else to try KDE since both are on one DVD.

Ah that, yes I suppose it could be inconvenient, and it used to bug me too before, but now I usually install mostly from the online repositories and stopped worrying about that.

Before, when I didn't have flat rate Internet access, I liked Debian with its DVD's much more ;) (I have been Debian user for a long time, I use Ubuntu on my laptops, for the last couple of years).
Regards, ArNy the Turbo Rascal
-
"The secret is to give them what they need, not what they want." - Scotty, STTNG:Relics

• KSP website
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2009, 03:34:38 pm »

Ah that, yes I suppose it could be inconvenient, and it used to bug me too before, but now I usually install mostly from the online repositories and stopped worrying about that.

Before, when I didn't have flat rate Internet access, I liked Debian with its DVD's much more ;) (I have been Debian user for a long time, I use Ubuntu on my laptops, for the last couple of years).
Well I used Debian before but didn't like that much how this distro was developed so I changed it to openSUSE. When I installed 10.2 it sucked pretty much (more less fresh after making it open). Buggy, slow and too much Windows influence in bad way. Fortunately there has been significant progress in last few years. Actually I would say that both Ubuntu and openSUSE right now may be the best solutions for newcomers.

Sybren13

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2009, 09:10:01 pm »
Finally Lazarus works on Ubunto 9.04!
Good forum, good hints and tips.
Look what I've found:

http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Getting_Lazarus#Getting_Lazarus_from_our_Ubuntu_repository

and then read the 'short version'.

I've planned for the PCLinuxOS solution, but I liked Ubuntu so much (fast), I'd decided give it last try. And simply making the downloading/installing script and then typing the two lines in the Terminal did it all. Automatically.

Thank you all, ;D

Sybren13

cdbc

• http://www.cdbc.dk
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2009, 04:55:21 am »
Hi Yall...
For the last 7 years or so I've been using FreeBSD on servers and Red Hat, later Fedora on my desktops.

Fedora have gotten a lot better the last few years, but still I don't believe it to be  a 'beginners distro'.
Fedora is a very good distro, no doubt about that, but you have to know what you're doing, to make it all play nice together.

This year however, I have tried 'TexStar's PcLinuxOS 2009.1&2 and the MiniMe flavour 2009.3...
F*ck me! They are GOOD, easy to setup, use/work and play with. Everything works without hazzle and tinkering / fiddleing, leaving me time to play with you guys  ;D

Easy Lazarus quickly:
1) Install pclos minime 2009.3 { liveCD, weighs in at 298 Mb }
2) In Synaptic, install: Lazarus, it will resolve libgtk-devel, pixbuf for you
3) Install a musicplayer, and turn on your coffee-maker.
4) Start lazarus....

note: It is not the latest and greatest lazarus, but for a 1.st try 0.9.24 will do...

Just my opinion, written on MiniMe 2009.3
Regards Benny
If it ain't broke, don't fix it ;)
PCLinuxOS(rolling release) 64bit -> KDE5 -> FPC 3.2.2 -> Lazarus 2.2.6 up until Jan 2024 from then on it's: KDE5/QT5 -> FPC 3.3.1 -> Lazarus 3.0

TurboRascal

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2009, 10:18:02 am »
Well I used Debian before but didn't like that much how this distro was developed so I changed it to openSUSE. When I installed 10.2 it sucked pretty much (more less fresh after making it open). Buggy, slow and too much Windows influence in bad way. Fortunately there has been significant progress in last few years. Actually I would say that both Ubuntu and openSUSE right now may be the best solutions for newcomers.

I admit Debian is a strange beast indeed. :D While I (and most others) mostly don't appreciate its painfully slow release schedule, several complexities and dubious approach to licencing (e.g. iceweasel) for desktop use, it's still my choice for a mighty stable server (or some kinds of workstation) OS. Hackers, hobbyists and other private and experimental users have always worked around the release schedule by using its "testing" or even "unstable" distributions.

Ubuntu solved some of Debian's problems by freezing fresh software distributions twice a year, improving desktop consistency and otherwise polishing desktop stuff.

I have a slight aversion towards "open" versions of commercial distros like OpenSuSe or Fedora, probably because some critics and open/free software advocates claim their quality is not that high as that of fully open/free distros like Debian/Ubuntu, and their commercial counterparts for that matter. :)

Btw. since PClinuxOS is also recommended by people here, I was wondering what is happening with its ancestor, Mandriva? Some time ago it was also praised as quite nice and user friendly distro...

-
"The secret is to give them what they need, not what they want." - Scotty, STTNG:Relics

• KSP website
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2009, 01:47:51 pm »
I admit Debian is a strange beast indeed. :D While I (and most others) mostly don't appreciate its painfully slow release schedule, several complexities and dubious approach to licencing (e.g. iceweasel) for desktop use, it's still my choice for a mighty stable server (or some kinds of workstation) OS. Hackers, hobbyists and other private and experimental users have always worked around the release schedule by using its "testing" or even "unstable" distributions.
Yeah I started with testing, ended up with Sid :D However right now I am testing CentOS on servers

I have a slight aversion towards "open" versions of commercial distros like OpenSuSe or Fedora, probably because some critics and open/free software advocates claim their quality is not that high as that of fully open/free distros like Debian/Ubuntu, and their commercial counterparts for that matter. :)
SuSE was commecrial. OpenSUSE is fully opened and developed by community. The only difference is that unlike in case of most other distributions it had financial and technological (including licences owned by Novell) support from big company. In case of openSUSE it is Novell
Btw. since PClinuxOS is also recommended by people here, I was wondering what is happening with its ancestor, Mandriva? Some time ago it was also praised as quite nice and user friendly distro...
And pretty much buggy...

TurboRascal

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2009, 05:29:04 pm »
Yeah I started with testing, ended up with Sid :D However right now I am testing CentOS on servers
SuSE was commecrial. OpenSUSE is fully opened and developed by community. The only difference is that unlike in case of most other distributions it had financial and technological (including licences owned by Novell) support from big company. In case of openSUSE it is Novell

Well, Ubuntu is also interesting since it is a fully open/free, and also fully backed up and sponsored by a company (ok maybe not a "big company" ;) )

It seems we are a bit biased, you towards Red Hat based distributions, me towards Debian based ones O:-)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 05:40:56 pm by Turbo Rascal »
-

• KSP website
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2009, 07:38:55 pm »
Well, Ubuntu is also interesting since it is a fully open/free, and also fully backed up and sponsored by a company (ok maybe not a "big company" ;) )

It seems we are a bit biased, you towards Red Hat based distributions, me towards Debian based ones O:-)
In case of openSUSE it's rather sentiment. SuSE 5 was my first Linux :) And remember that origins of SuSE/openSUSE are in... Slackware not RedHat :D Honestly I don't really care what distribution I a using as long as it is stable and everything works unless it is me who messed up with something

peardox

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2009, 08:45:10 pm »
Still struggling to get a FC Rawhide to actually compile

Ubuntu 9.10 includes a packaged version that works perfectly - it's 0.9.26.2 though

The same version is also available via Centos 5.3

FC12 is out in a week and a bit, that may be more recent

I agree with the above comment - pick your distro based on how well you know it (RPM Fan)

Troodon

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2009, 08:54:45 pm »
Lazarus/FPC on Linux

peardox

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2009, 10:15:22 pm »
You need to add the Lazarus repos to Ubuntu 9.10

http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Getting_Lazarus#Long_version:_step_by_step

Already in the repos - KPackage search finds it easy enough

LazaruX

• Lazarus original cheetah.The cheetah doesn't cheat
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2009, 11:11:31 pm »
 ;)   ...i knew this was going to be a distro war  :P

• KSP website
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2009, 11:44:27 pm »
;)   ...i knew this was going to be a distro war  :P
Nah it's just cultural discussion ^^ Fact is that there is no such thing as recommended distribution since every distro has it's advantages and disadvantages. It simply depends on personal preferences. As the matter of fact I would say that the recommended is the one that you can find help for the easiest way. For example you know someone who uses Debian and he is willing to help you with it then even distribution like Debian or Slack may not be bad idea.
Another thing is what's your approach. If you want to learn how your syste works and have 100% control over what's being run there then Debian probably is the best or one of the best choices. If you prefer ease of use and you don't care much about control then anything Mandriva based or even openSUSE.

Troodon

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2009, 03:56:02 am »
You need to add the Lazarus repos to Ubuntu 9.10
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Getting_Lazarus#Long_version:_step_by_step
Already in the repos - KPackage search finds it easy enough

The repos have 0.9.28, see image attached.
Lazarus/FPC on Linux

TinyPortal © 2005-2018