Recent

Poll

Which icon would you like to have as the main Lazarus icon?

Component icon (blue version)
76 (33.5%)
Component icon (orange version)
47 (20.7%)
Cheetah icon
90 (39.6%)
Other
14 (6.2%)

Total Members Voted: 197

Author Topic: Voting for the new Lazarus icon  (Read 112486 times)

felipemdc

• Administrator
Voting for the new Lazarus icon
« on: February 15, 2009, 12:51:36 pm »
There was a discussion about which icon should be the new Lazarus icon. As there was disagreement as to the decision, we decided to start a poll about it and extend the discussion to the community.

The icons can be seen here:

http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/New_Lazarus_Icon_Proposals

If there are other proposed icons we can add them too. The two component icons are very similar, so if both summed together have a majority we can assume that most people want one of the two component icons.

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
Re: Voting for the new Lazarus icon
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 01:21:20 pm »
With regards to the orange windows version:

The outer border needs to be darker. (At the moment it gives the visual impression that the orange version has less of a border than the blue.
This may however be a contrast issue with the color of the windows-task-bar. Making it darker may look worse on a darker (grey-black) task bar)
So instead of making it darker, it may need a 3d bevel like border. (current outer border darker, plus newly added even further outer border of lighter color (to ensure contrast))

Also the (black) lines making the face on the orange icon are to dark.  (The black-orange contrast is visually more prevalent, than the black-blue contrast)

dodi

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 05:13:03 pm »
The blue version doesn't look nice on a traditional (grey) taskbar. Both the blue and orange version look somewhat unspecific.

I'd suggest the cheetah icon in multiple resolutions, so that even the 16x16 pixel version is outstanding and expressive. The preview should be updated accordingly, so that the current poor look of the 16x16 pixel version isn't misleading the voters.

DoDi

Marius2

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 05:16:31 pm »
Sorry to say, but kind of childish icons and look terrible (even the cheetah i voted).

Please go back to the "old" icons

BeniBela

• homepage
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 06:59:58 pm »
I agree, the old were much better.

The first and second in the poll look like amoebae.
And the cheetah seems to stick its tongue out at us.

felipemdc

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 07:05:42 pm »
Sorry to say, but kind of childish icons and look terrible (even the cheetah i voted).

Please go back to the "old" icons

The cheetah is the old icon. You are probably not used to the larg image for it because it's only for Mac OS X.

This all started because I don't like the new icons too. They look rather wierd in my oppinion, but other developers disagreed, so ....

glober

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 09:00:40 pm »
I don't like the cheetah inside the six tooth gear icon. When I first saw the small size icon of that in my XP task bar I thought it was the Jewish hexagram. It's not my intention to start yet another big discussion on the Lazarus name, but the name has too much religious overtone as it is, no need to go further down that road.

Perhaps if the six tooth gear outline was replaced with a regular head outline, it would be a good compromise between the two styles.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 10:56:05 pm by glober »

Marius2

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 10:27:56 pm »
The cheetah is the old icon. You are probably not used to the larg image for it because it's only for Mac OS X.

Yes, but this is a reworked icon with other colors. There are more cheetah icons then the one that is posted. For example the Cheetah from mid-2008 wasn't the best, but it looked better then this one. But thats just my opinion.

Mayby all icons from the past could be displayed (also in the trayicon) so they can be compared.

paul_nicholls

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 12:32:09 am »
Hi guys,
    I much prefer the real cheetah icon (third option, current icon) over the blue or orange stylized cheetah inside the "gear" shape :-)

cheers,
Paul

Marc

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 12:36:50 am »
I don't like the 3rd one, it's too "aggessive" to me, to hard edges. I never liked that one.
//--
{$I stdsig.inc}
//-I still can't read someones mind
//-Bugs reported here will be forgotten. Use the bug tracker

jsund

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 12:58:59 am »
I don't like the cheetah inside the six tooth gear icon. ...

Perhaps if the six tooth gear outline was replaced with a regular head outline, it would be a good compromise between the two styles.

I agree  (Also agree with considering the "old" icons as well)

cheers,
John

Reenen

• http://daringapprentice.wikispaces.com
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 06:52:27 am »
Personally, I like the *concept* of the "simplified" icon.

Some people call it childish, but it's not about being childish, rather than being "Easily recognisable".  Trying to fit a cheetah in a 16x16 block doesn't really work (even though whoever did it did a stirling job!)

Personally, I like the paw... round one...

(http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/reenen/LazarusProject.png)

bee

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 06:56:26 am »
Personally, I like the paw... round one...

+1 :D

-Bee-

A long time pascal lover.

felipemdc

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2009, 08:45:36 am »
I'd suggest the cheetah icon in multiple resolutions, so that even the 16x16 pixel version is outstanding and expressive. The preview should be updated accordingly, so that the current poor look of the 16x16 pixel version isn't misleading the voters.

I posted the icons in the wiki for the reason that the wiki is freely editable by anyone.

If you think you can come up with better icons for the small cheetah, please get the better icon and put it on the wiki.

I simply used the only icon I currently have available.

felipemdc

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2009, 08:49:40 am »

If you can come up with the following images for this icon:

* on the Mac OS X Dock, just edit the images I have on the wiki and insert it artificially to be quicker

* together with the other 16x16 icons, edit the image on the wiki

* And while you are at it, please build a comparison a comparison for all icons as if they were Windows Desktop shortcuts

Then we can add this as a 4th option

thanks,

TinyPortal © 2005-2018