Recent

Author Topic: A couple of observations on the newest version of Lazarus (0.9.27)  (Read 19664 times)

Carbonide

After an year or so, I tried Lazarus again today and wow..., what a difference!

It seems like enormous progress has been made since my last encounter with Lazarus (which was still X11 based).

Now we have a nice Carbon interface and double clickable files from the Finder. Many thanks for all those involved in this wonderful work!

I have encountered some small bugs, though:

- there must not be a space in the folder containing the Lazarus project (otherwise the compiled program will not launch)
- the Lazarus icon appears two times in my dock
- lots of 'unknown stabs type 0xE0 in...' error messages while compilation is running, although it succeeds in the end nevertheless
- there is a file created called 'unit1.lrs' created in the root folder of my boot drive, even if I save my project in some other location
- the source window is not shown on my desktop: I suspect it is created off-screen as the highlight of my other windows changes if I select Source Editor from the Window menu or double-click on an object (I work around this bug by simply editing the .pas file in TextEdit)

Apart of that, great work guys, thanks a lot!

Phil

Re: A couple of observations on the newest version of Lazarus (0.9.27)
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 04:20:28 pm »
I have not noticed any of the problems you describe. Have you tested the stable 0.9.26 or 0.9.26.1 with fixes? If either of those work any better, then it sounds like some problems have been introduced in 0.9.27 and need bug reports.

Thanks.

-Phil

Carbonide

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 07:19:37 pm »
I wasn't sure how to uninstall Lazarus from my iMac without any remaining traces, so installed version 0.9.26 on my Macbook: this doesn't solve any of the issues apart from the source editor window that now displays correctly.

So still:
- two icons in the dock
- no space permitted in the path to a project
- 'unknown stabs' errors

Also, sometimes the Lazarus menu bar isn't correctly displayed when switching the app in or out.

Another problem present in 0.9.27 is that you have to draw a rectangle when creating a new object, in .26 a simple click is enough.

But those aren't showstoppers for me, I have converted all my (admittedly simple) Delphi projects over to Lazarus. Speed is also great (I remember always having a drink while launching previous versions of Lazarus :) )

Phil

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 07:47:20 pm »
There's an uninstall.sh script in your Lazarus folder that you can run to uninstall Laz. It only has to remove 4 things so you could do these things separately.

Please log the source editor window as a bug since that appears to be a regression from 0.9.26. And also log the issue with needing to draw a rectangle when adding a component to a form (assume that's what you mean by "object").

As for your other problems:

- I'm not at my Mac right now but I'll test to see if I can reproduce the spaces-in-path issue.

- Not sure what you mean by two icons on the Dock. Did you drag the lazarus.app to the Dock? When you click this, the arrow indicating that it's loaded should appear with this icon rather than another one being added to the Dock.

- I've never seen "unknown stabs" error or issues with the menu bar. If you can figure out a way to reliably reproduce these problems with 0.9.26 I'll test it out.

Thanks.

-Phil

Carbonide

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 09:26:19 pm »
Sorry, didn't see the uninstall script. Worked fine but I still couldn't install v.26 until I also deleted the receipt files in the Library folder (the Installer app complained there was still a newer version already installed).

Something seems foobared on my iMac, as I'm now getting the source code editor bug in version .26, too :(

This is what I meant by two icons in the Dock (notice they both are running apps; I simply double-clicked an .lpr file):

Carbonide

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 09:32:49 pm »
Another small bug: a menu icon is displayed over all my labels left side

Phil

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 09:40:59 pm »
Check the Activity Monitor to see if two instances of Lazarus are actually running.

Thanks.

-Phil

Carbonide

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 10:12:44 pm »
One item in the dock is 'Lazarus', the other 'lazarus' (note the lowercase 'l').

Activity monitor displays to apps, one bizarrely as non responding although Lazarus works just fine.

Vincent Snijders

• Administrator
    • My Lazarus wiki user page
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 10:31:42 pm »
One might be startlazarus, the other lazarus?

Phil

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 10:39:51 pm »
The Lazarus .app bundle's bundle name is "Lazarus". That should be what you see on the Dock. The name of the actual executable file is "lazarus". It is possible to run the executable itself, which is actually outside of the bundle to make rebuilding easier and just symlinked to from within the bundle. But the executable itself won't run correctly by itself.

Did you double-click the executable or drag it to the Dock rather than the .app bundle?

Thanks.

-Phil

Carbonide

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 11:07:07 pm »
Actually, I double clicked the .lpr (or .lpi) file.

I now started Lazarus itself by double clicking on it -> only one instance running
I then double clicked a project file -> now I have 3 instances in my dock  :)

I did not put Lazarus in my dock permanently.

Another thing, I sometimes get the 'Execution stopped' message when I'm actually launching my app.

Phil

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 04:30:24 am »
Okay, you're on to some new bugs:

(1) If the path to a project has a space, running the project in the IDE causes a crash with this type of message in the Console app:

[Debugger] Running GDB version: Apple version gdb-573
[tdebugger.SetFileName] "/Users/phil/LazTests/spaces in name/project1.app"
[TMainIDE.DoRunProject] B TGDBMIDebugger
TGDBMIDebugger.StartDebugging WorkingDir="/Users/phil/LazTests/spaces in name/"
TGDBMIDebugger.ProcessResult Error: ,msg="/Users/phil/LazTests/spaces: No such file or directory."

As you can see, the debugger process appears to be choking on the first space in my project's folder name, "spaces in name". See if you're getting an similar Console message. If so, could you log a bug report? You can look at the code in lazarus/debugger/gdbmidebugger.pp - I looked there but didn't see anything offhand. Maybe they just need to put quotes around the path name somewhere.

Also, I'm seeing the same unit1.lrs file created in my root folder when this happens.

Note that compiling and linking the project with lazbuild and running the app from Finder works fine so the space bug is probably confined to the debugging .

(2) I can't get two instances of either Lazarus or my apps to appear on the Dock, no matter what I do, so this is something that's apparently specific to your system. I'm running 10.4 - are you running 10.5, maybe? If you can reproduce this, please log a bug report.

(3) For some reason, when I double click an .lpi or .lpr file, Lazarus doesn't start. However, double-clicking files for my app launches the app fine, so I'm not sure what the problem is. Both Lazarus and my app register the extension the same way in their info.plist files...

(4) Running startlazarus does start Lazarus momentarily, then it shuts down and I see this message in the Console app:

RegisterProcess failed (error = -2805)

Another bug apparently. Are you able to double-click the startlazarus.app?

(5) Google "free pascal lazarus unknown stabs" and you'll get lots of hits. Maybe you can get some ideas there. One thing that occurred to me while looking through these is: Do you have the correct architecture installed? Intel Macs can run the PowerPC versions of Lazarus, but you really want to be running the Intel version. This mixup has happened to others...

Thanks.

-Phil

Vincent Snijders

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 10:44:21 am »
Bug 4 already has been reported (and might be fixed).

Bug 1 is related to http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=9964 and simply not yet implemented.

Marc

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 10:47:14 am »
I doubt that bug 1 is the same.
For the debugger I use a gdb-mi call to set the name of the exe. It is up to gdb how to parse it, but I (maybe wrong) assumed that when setting a name it will use that name.
//--
{$I stdsig.inc}
//-I still can't read someones mind
//-Bugs reported here will be forgotten. Use the bug tracker

Vincent Snijders

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 10:49:14 am »
Not the same, but related. If compiling with spaces doesn't even work, how would debugging with spaces work.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018