Recent

Author Topic: Error: Project raised exception class 'External:SIGSEGV'.  (Read 248952 times)

sclsch

Error: Project raised exception class 'External:SIGSEGV'.
« on: January 29, 2009, 12:54:24 am »
    I am very excited that I find the Lazarus IDE. I try l open it,run and find an error. Error: Project raised exception class 'External:SIGSEGV'.
is there something wrong?
thanks.

Bart

• Bart en Mariska's Webstek
Re: Error: Project raised exception class 'External:SIGSEGV'.
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 04:38:46 pm »
    I am very excited that I find the Lazarus IDE. I try l open it,run and find an error. Error: Project raised exception class 'External:SIGSEGV'.
Run what?

Please give us some additional information:
What OS
32 or 64 bit
Where did you install Lazarus / fpc (in what path)

What happens if you compile, then run the executable outside the IDE

Bart

bucsupe

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 01:35:40 pm »
Run what?

Please give us some additional information:
What OS
32 or 64 bit
Where did you install Lazarus / fpc (in what path)

What happens if you compile, then run the executable outside the IDE

Bart

Hi,
I have the same problem. When I run  (press F9) the project from the IDE, I get the same message.
My environment:
I have installed it to the default installation path, wich was recommended by the installer: c:\lazarus

Version: lazarus-0.9.26-fpc-2.2.2-win32.exe from sourceforge.

Additional information
However the IDE gives this error message when I try to run the project, it builds the exactly working exe file.

What can be the problem?

marfig

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 03:23:24 am »
Hello,

I have the same problem. And will try to provide some more information.

System: 3GB ram, Windows XP SP3, with Delphi 7 and Visual Studio 2008
Lazarus: lazarus-0.9.26-fpc-2.2.2-win32 Installed to default directory.
Installation: Full Installation.

Procedure:
- I start Lazarus.
- I press F9. Default lazarus project compiles fine. But gives error right after compilation finishes

Project raised exception class: 'External: SIGSEGV'

After clicking OK...

Execution Paused
Address: $10009631
Procedure: ??
File:

Notes:
- Often, when I dismiss the second error dialogbox, the execution stays paused. Sometimes however, the executable do fire up and the main form is displayed normally.
- Building and running externally to the IDE causes no exception and the executable performs normally.
- Any project causes this exception. I suspect something to do with the debugger.

More information:

1. Lazarus used to work fine. Error starting showing up after installing Delphi 7 or so I seem to believe. Uninstalling and doing a clean reinstall of Lazarus doesn't seem to fix the problem. I however cannot at this point try to uninstall Delphi 7 and do a clean Lazarus install to see if the error stays.

2. I remember Delphi saying something about a debugger(jit debugger?) being registered to another application and asking me if I wanted to change this... I cannot remember the exact details of this dialog box. At the time I answered Yes, do register for Delphi 7.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 03:29:49 am by marfig »

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 03:29:54 am »
It's the debugger, something wrong with it. To make it more mysterious, only some people have the problem. The other (including me), didn't have it and everything works flawlessly. I can't figure out (until now) why. I've posted the way I setup my environment, but it doesn't seem to work for other people. In case you want to know, here it goes:
  • Build FPC and Lazarus from source, fully smartlinked and stripped
  • Build GDB from source, without nls support (+ level 3 optimization and debug info stripping)

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 11:37:37 am »
Lazarus uses GDB (from mingw) as debugger.

Unfortunately several (if not most/all) versions of gdb for windows have (afaik/imho) one or another flaw.

The most common case seems to be related to some leak in GDB. This will be experienced as the very first time you run/debug your application (via F9 or menu) it will work, but after that you get all sort of errors.
In this case use "reset debugger" from the "run" menu.

I do not have a list which version of GDB works better or worse or how it depends on your environment. You can always try to download another version from mingw, and see if it does the trick for you.

Good luck

marfig

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 04:00:39 pm »
It seems to be related to Comodo Firewall and would be interesting if anyone experiencing this problem and seeing this could confirm if they have this firewall program installed.

This is what is reported when I try to debug an fpc app from the command line:

Starting program: C:\Projects\laz/project1.exe                                                                                                       
[New thread 3040.0xbe8]                                                                                                                               

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.                                                                                                 
0x10009631 in ?? () from C:\WINDOWS\system32\guard32.dll

marfig

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 05:14:45 pm »
And here's what I did to solve the problem.

guard32.dll seems to be used by Commodo Personal Firewall mostly by it's Defense+ component. Something I don't use personally, is disabled, but still attached the dll to all running executables. The answer is in fact a few other firewall features do use this dll. Namely, it seems, the ability Commodo has of protecting against certain malware firewall-circumvent stratagems. Again, something I don't really need since I do have an anti-virus. Fortunately, this can be undone. Probably looking in Commodo configuration. But I didn't have the patience, so:

1. I fully uninstalled Commodo
2. Reboot
3. Install Commodo back again
3.1. Do not install the anti-virus component
3.2 Do no install any firewall features (i.e. choose simple enterprise-strength firewall option when asked)

Hope this helps.
Lazarus is now running as it should.

bucsupe

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 10:35:58 pm »
Thanks the help!

I really used Comodo Firewall, and this conflict with Lazarus (gdb).
I changed Comodo Firewall to PCTools Firewall, and now running perfectly the Lazarus!

;)

Marsel

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 12:34:12 am »
Too I use comodo firewall. I have added lazarus.exe and gdb.exe into My Own Safe Files list, have rebooted also all have earned. (comodo ver 3.9)

Sorry, for my English...

SV_Janjo

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 04:34:56 pm »
I have the same error:
Project raised exception class: 'External: SIGSEGV'
But it appears after my program is started. Program works perfectly until it comes to command:
Image1.Picture.Graphic.Width:=Image1.Width;
Image1.Picture.Graphic.Height:=Image1.Height;
THEN program shows this error. Can somebody help?

EMTR

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 01:43:00 pm »
I have the same problem but when using a Delphi app as the host and debugging a dll which appears to complete execution correctly...

Is there another debugger to use in place of this one?!

Ortis

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2009, 12:57:04 pm »
I teach students to work in Lazarus, because our university doesn't provide us a license for Delphi. In the classroom they generated the same bug on their machines (win XP 32 bits SP3) for 3 different progs. We used Lazarus 0.9.28.1. However for older version 0.9.24.0 there was no such a bug (but were others, so we migrated).

But at other computers all works perfectly. I suspect this bug to be in some sense due to limited user right (in other places, where bug doesn't reveal itself, all people work under administrative rights), but this is only my imho.

This bug appears in the same line allways -- never mind what is there written.

We have Kaspersky antivirus active / no firewall.

EMTR

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2009, 01:51:28 pm »
I have full administrative rights. Teach your students either .net or java.

The error I had was purely the debugger. Run without debug and it works perfectly... Then again how am I supposed to debug my code without a debugged?? Delphi 2009...

picstart

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2009, 04:01:56 pm »
Maybe there is an unreliable interplay between lazarus and the debugger. If you are lucky you won't have an issue. If you have issues with the debugger and SIGSEGV it might just be annoying in that it generates an initial error that if dismissed by clicking and closing windows and running again (F9) it will probably work as a debugger. The issue is can you really be sure the debugger is fully functioning after you work around the first SIGSEGV ? Is the next error reported by the debugger real or is it also to be worked around? It is particularly troubling when lazarus runs fine outside the debugger maybe its just luck and failure just hasn't had a chance to find a situation in which to occur . It maybe that this is a fundamental lazarus debugger incompatibility issue that takes some other variable like the system configuration or some other program running to expose it. Now some can write such good code that they are sure if the debugger reports an error that the debugger must be buggy. Others actually need an iron clad bug free debugger to help them.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018