Recent

Author Topic: why is lazarus not made in delphi?  (Read 16850 times)

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
Re: why is lazarus not made in delphi?
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2017, 09:36:55 am »
I don't think FPC would exist if that was the case. :D
Why not? We have Lazarus, do we not?
FWIW, writing compilers by students is as much a fun intellectual challenge as it may have been a necessity.... Florian may well have gotten satisfaction because of that alone
Specialize a type, not a var.

jacmoe

• Jacmoe's Cyber SoapBox
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2017, 09:41:44 am »
You are right. As long as there are students in computer science - or, indeed: any programmers worth their salt - there will be written compilers and languages. :)
I just don't think it would have been as successful as FPC because the motivation was real: no DOS after TP7.
That it soon became irrelevant, is irrelevant.  ;)
more signal - less noise

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2017, 12:13:48 pm »
*topic :wink:

• FPC is actually older, it did use Delphi's predecessor Turbo Pascal for a while
  • Delphi is not free.
  • Delphi is versioned. If you have 10 contributors they have 7 different versions. This is often severely underestimated. In ye old days, free versions (like Turbo Delphi 2006) were castrated
  • There is a non competition clause in some Delphi licenses iirc
  • A bit of interaction between IDE and language development can be useful, e.g. to fix an annoying bug. Delphi is set in stone and you carry workarounds for problems around forever (which is worsened by the fact that old versions aren't phased out)
  • Many devels used Linux and FreeBSD not Windows, and actually getting an IDE on non-windows was an important objective
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 07:53:11 pm by marcov »

korba812

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2017, 02:32:33 pm »
and why is delphi not made in delphi?

Thaddy

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2017, 02:57:42 pm »
Actually Delphi as an IDE is written in Delphi. But the Delphi object pascal compiler is - depending on the version - written in C and assembler or C++.

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2017, 04:39:26 pm »
Actually Delphi as an IDE is written in Delphi. But the Delphi object pascal compiler is - depending on the version - written in C and assembler or C++.
Not sure for the recent IDE as it depends on .NET framework, unless it's written in Delphi .NET, but I doubt that.

Thaddy

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2017, 04:43:05 pm »
The .net dependencies can be removed. They are for refactoring etc, but not core.

valdir.marcos

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2017, 05:11:04 pm »
First of all, I also agree that the best for FPC compiler and Lazarus IDE is to continue by themselves just as it is.

This thread was started on 29 May 2008 and its questioner seems to have disappeared since 2008:

-------------
Simmo8 - New member

Date Registered: March 28, 2008, 07:30:53 pm
Local Time: February 19, 2017, 11:16:03 am
Last Active: June 04, 2008, 04:52:15 pm
-------------

Just for the record, the original open sourced Dev-C++ IDE and its forks Orwell Dev-C++ IDE and wxDev-C++ IDE are IDEs for C++ were developed using Delphi 6 and 7.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dev-C%2B%2B

http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html
Dev-C++ 5 (currently beta)
Bloodshed Dev-C++ is a full-featured Integrated Development Environment (IDE) for the C/C++ programming language. It uses Mingw port of GCC (GNU Compiler Collection) as it's compiler. Dev-C++ can also be used in combination with Cygwin or any other GCC based compiler.
Source code : Delphi 6 Source code of Dev-C++ is available for free under the GNU General Public License (GPL)

http://orwelldevcpp.blogspot.com.br/

-------------
SOURCE 5.11.7z/Source/README.txt

1. Compiling devcpp.exe

This process has only been tested using Delphi 6 and Delphi 7. The code base
should be compatible with more recent versions of Delphi, but there is no
guarantee anything will work. 27/04/2015
-------------

So, obviously, as a matter of choice, anyone can use any compiler and any IDE to build any new compiler or any new IDE.

jacmoe

• Jacmoe's Cyber SoapBox
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2017, 05:20:13 pm »
The question is still valid, though:

Why is Lazarus not using Delphi Object Pascal ?

To many people, Modern Object Pascal is equal to Delphi.
They don't know about Free Pascal.

I stumbled upon this topic while searching for something else, and realized that no answer was given. ;)

I don't care about the OP, I care about people accidentally stumbling upon this topic.

So, Lazarus does not use Delphi Object Pascal, but Free Pascal Object Pascal.
In a nutshell because using Delphi Object Pascal to create a Delphi-like programming environment is a copyright/license violation.

But there are other reasons, like the fact that Delphi Object Pascal is not open source, that it is proprietary, etc.

So, obviously, as a matter of choice, anyone can use any compiler and any IDE to build any new compiler or any new IDE.
Yes, but it would have been highly odd that Free Pascal was written in anything other than Turbo Pascal since the reason that Free Pascal was born in the first place was that Borland decided that TP7 was to be the last version to support DOS. They abandoned good old TP, in other words, and went about creating Delphi. 8)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 05:29:55 pm by jacmoe »
more signal - less noise

TinyPortal © 2005-2018