Recent

Author Topic: GetLastError as a string (library with sources)  (Read 11212 times)

stootch

GetLastError as a string (library with sources)
« on: March 16, 2008, 07:00:19 pm »
While testing my apps on various devices I discovered OEMs remove messagetables from resources. This is really annoying issue as I have to scan documentation for error codes returned by GetLastError. So I created my own replacement. You can grab it from here. This one can return not only names of the errors (ie. ERROR_DIRECT_ACCESS_HANDLE) but also short descriptions (ERROR_DIRECT_ACCESS_HANDLE Attempt to use a file handle to an open disk partition for an operation other than raw disk I/O.)

Usage
  • Copy win_err_lib.dll to the path your application will be launched from.
  • Copy win_err.pas to suitable path and add win_err to the uses list of your unit(s).
  • Whenever you need to check and display (or log) occurred Windows error, do it like this:
Code: [Select]
le := GetLastError; //save for further processing, optional
ShowMeTheError( GetLastErrorStr( le ) );

[/list]
Configuration
There are two options affecting returned values and both are set up as conditional compiler directives, so you'll need to re-compile the library if you want the changes to be applied.
{$DEFINE SUCCESS_EMPTY} //this is default

WriteLn( GetLastErrorStr( 0 ) ); // <returns empty string>

{.$DEFINE SUCCESS_EMPTY}

WriteLn( GetLastErrorStr( 0 ) );// ERROR_SUCCESS

{.$DEFINE ERROR_DESCRIPTION} // this is default

WriteLn( GetLastErrorStr( 68 ) ); // ERROR_TOO_MANY_SESS

{$DEFINE ERROR_DESCRIPTION}

WriteLn( GetLastErrorStr( 68 ) ); // ERROR_TOO_MANY_SESS The network BIOS session limit was exceeded.

Remarks
All error strings are compiled as resources into the library. The DLL has been compiled with -WR switch, so it should be safe to use the library among others created with FPC.

I included virtually all error messages for Windows CE 5.0 without COM-specific. The total number is over 1,800.

Hope this will help you debugging your apps.

EDIT (March 17th, 07:10 GMT)
Those who downloaded the library before this edit DateTime (;)), please re-download. While testing with different compilers I messed up handle types and uploaded wrong version. Now it works correctly on WinCE.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018