Recent

Author Topic: Focus does not go back to Code Editor window.  (Read 6357 times)

vrull

Focus does not go back to Code Editor window.
« on: March 01, 2008, 08:54:52 pm »
There is one annoying feature in IDE, maybe it can be fixed somehow. When I edit the source in the Editor and call some dialogue, for example Search or Search and Replace, after this dialogue has been closed the focus is nowhere. The flashing cursor in the Editor window produces the impression one can continue editting, but it is not. One has to take mouse, click on the window, leave the mouse and then start typing.

Is this a bug? Maybe there is some option I do not know about?

Marc

• Administrator
RE: Focus does not go back to Code Editor window.
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 11:25:21 am »
Do you see this on windows or linux ? Possible problem in Linux is that the windowmanager don't let you control which window gets focuws, so you cannot switch focus to the edit window.
//--
{$I stdsig.inc}
//-I still can't read someones mind
//-Bugs reported here will be forgotten. Use the bug tracker

vrull

RE: Focus does not go back to Code Editor window.
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 10:22:23 pm »
Yes, this is about Lazarus for Linux working with Compiz-Fusion. It is not a bug, It just differs from what I see in Delphi. The source of confusion is the flashing text cursor, which is always in the Editor form, regardless either the form is focused or not.
Is there any settings, which would remove the cursor from the editor, when it is not focused? That would be enough. Thanks.

fritzo

Re: Focus does not go back to Code Editor window.
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2018, 09:29:02 pm »
Hi,

I'm a new user and had just the same problem. On top, the source editor didn't get the focus back when I compiled and ran my source code, so I always had to click into the source editor once to activate it, which can become a bit annoying if you often change the code and want to see what it does at runtime. I noticed that this topic is quite old but as I didnt find any other topic offering a solution, I'd like to add what I found.

For users using manual or anchor-docking, the steps mentioned in this posting here could solve this problem:
http://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php?topic=9970.0

But first, try this: enter the 'Tools' menu, chose the 'Options' menu point and then, navigate to Environment. Then, pick the 'Messages Windows' list point. Now, check the 'Focus messages at compilation' entry. If it's active, deactivate it and click on 'OK'. Now, hit F9 to run your program. Afterwards, the source editor window should get the focus back after compiling / running, as it should be.

Greetings,
Fritz

fritzo

Re: Focus does not go back to Code Editor window.
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2018, 09:43:37 pm »
An addition, if I may - as I don't remember that I made any changes to this setting, this might be part of the default config. If so, I'd like to propose to deactivate this setting by default as it might irritate users.

Btw - this IDE is awesome. I never would have thought there was an IDE for Pascal after all these years (I learned it in the 80s) and on top, a free and very good one.

Best regards,
Fritz
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 10:00:58 pm by fritzo »

TinyPortal © 2005-2018