Recent

Author Topic: Windows Calendar Dialog Question  (Read 2633 times)

time-killer-games

Windows Calendar Dialog Question
« on: March 27, 2019, 12:47:05 am »
I wanted to implement the Windows Calendar Dialog from Lazarus's runner code into my own cross-platform Dialog API, however my library is MIT licensed and therefore not compatible license-wise with GPL/LGPL'd code. Would I need to re-license my software to either GPL or LGPL before I'd be able to use this 1 tiny piece of Lazarus's runner source? I can write my own version of the calendar dialog for Mac and Linux. I'm having a bit of trouble writing the Windows version and I was wondering if I could get permission to borrow code from the Lazarus project to do this one small task on Windows. Usually with licenses, the license terms only apply if substantial portions of code are reused for a different project, but then raises the question, how much code is considered substantial? If I can't use any portion of Lazarus's code without needing to re-license under GPL or LGPL, that is a solid deal breaker and I'll just have to study the calender control provided by Microsoft a little more, which isn't the end of the world. I just need to ensure my dialog fits all the controls including the calendar and OK/Cancel buttons regardless of the version of Windows and DPI settings used, which is the only roadblock I'm having. So anyway, just wondering.

Thanks!
Samuel

Ñuño_Martínez

• Burdjia
Re: Windows Calendar Dialog Question
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 10:46:58 am »
AFAIK you don't need to change the license. I'll explain:

Lazarus & Free Pascal are GPL and RTL, FCL and LCL libraries are LGPL licensed, but they affect to the compilers and libraries only, not the work you do.  Actually Lazarus includes libraries that aren't LGPL!  As far as you use RTL, FCL and LCL only you can license your software (including your component or library) the way you want.  If you use other libraries then you should take a look to its license, but most them doesn't has restrictions about the use of other licenses in linked libraries, as the licenses mostly affects only the library they apply.

You may take a look to the Open Source Initiative website (there's a quite complete FAQ), as it has better explanations about how licenses works, including the full text of most (if not all) open source licenses.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 10:50:48 am by Ñuño_Martínez »
Are you interested in game programming? Join the Pascal Game Development community!
Also visit the Game Development Portal

TinyPortal © 2005-2018