Recent

Author Topic: [CLOSED] Debuggin Linux Mint GTK2 - how to make it work ?  (Read 2356 times)

BrunoK

• Retired programmer
[CLOSED] Debuggin Linux Mint GTK2 - how to make it work ?
« on: February 23, 2019, 01:40:04 pm »
I finally, and very painfully, managed to install lazarus trunk in the linux darkside of my PC.

Now I want to trace/debug things that work pretty well in windows to see how they behave under linux.

Where can I find a usable linux executable of GDB ? (otherwise it is useless to try to use linux)

Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 03:20:31 pm by BrunoK »

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
Re: Debuggin Linux Mint GTK2 - how to make it work ?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 01:52:38 pm »
gdb is in the Linux mint repository if it isn't already installed. It comes with the GNU compiler suite and usually that is installed.
Specialize a type, not a var.

lucamar

Re: Debuggin Linux Mint GTK2 - how to make it work ?
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 02:34:32 pm »
If for some strange reason it's not installed, just go to your package manager (synaptic?) and install the gdb package.

Or, in a terminal window, do:
Code: Bash  [Select][+][-]
  1. sudo apt-get install gdb
That should do the trick.

Then select the debugger in Lazarus by going to "Tools->Options->Debugger" (see attached image)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 02:41:59 pm by lucamar »
Turbo Pascal 3 CP/M - Amstrad PCW 8256 (512 KB !!!) :P
Lazarus/FPC 2.0.8/3.0.4 & 2.0.12/3.2.0 - 32/64 bits on:
(K|L|X)Ubuntu 12..18, Windows XP, 7, 10 and various DOSes.

BrunoK

• Retired programmer
[CLOSED] Re: Debuggin Linux Mint GTK2 - how to make it work ?
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 03:19:57 pm »
Thanks for your help.

Lazarus Trunk did not like the version of GDB it had been supplied and was correctly indicated in the options.

Every few years I try to get a functional linux installation but never managed to have some stable system. (whereas, for example, my old XP did work >10 years without need of a reinstall).
Always something missing or cryptic to install, and searching info resumes to comments that obviously linux is not designed for normal programmers (what about lambda users). Seems to be reserved to masochistic geeks.

Between my initial post half an hour ago and now, the installation partition that I had much pain in setting up has gone dead after a reboot (and had been stable for a week).

[CLOSED] For the next few years ...

lucamar

Re: [CLOSED] Debuggin Linux Mint GTK2 - how to make it work ?
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 04:43:36 pm »
Well, I am a normal programmer and I've been using Linux for the last ... hmmm ... let me see ... 20 years more or less. I have had problems, of course (who doesn't!) but not more than with Windows. And most of them came about because something I did that disagreed with the system's digestion. :)

Linux is not as easy (yet?) as Windows at user-level but neither it's now the monster it was in olden times, when you had to install almost anything from sources and by hand.

YMMV, of course!
Turbo Pascal 3 CP/M - Amstrad PCW 8256 (512 KB !!!) :P
Lazarus/FPC 2.0.8/3.0.4 & 2.0.12/3.2.0 - 32/64 bits on:
(K|L|X)Ubuntu 12..18, Windows XP, 7, 10 and various DOSes.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018