Recent

Author Topic: Will we have Lazarus on Open/Net BSD?  (Read 5301 times)

giahung1997

Will we have Lazarus on Open/Net BSD?
« on: February 12, 2019, 05:44:09 am »
My beloved Double Commander could not be found on pkgsrc.se and I checked it's because Lazarus not available for those platform. Very happy if it happens. I will ask the author of DoubleCmd for porting and I think it will be effortless thanks to the power of Lazarus and FPC  :D

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
Re: Will we have Lazarus on Open/Net BSD?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 06:17:13 am »
Free Pascal supports FreeBSD, but with many issues:
http://wiki.freepascal.org/FreeBSD

Lazarus can be installed on FreeBSD 10+:
http://wiki.freepascal.org/Installing_Lazarus#Installing_Lazarus_under_FreeBSD

avra

• Additional info
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 09:26:06 am »
Although Lazarus is preferred to most people, if you face problems then you can also try CodeTyphon (fork of Lazarus). It seams to be well tested on FreeBSD:
https://www.pilotlogic.com/sitejoom/index.php/wiki/135-wiki/codetyphon-host-oses/627-ct-on-freebsd-11-2
ct2laz - Conversion between Lazarus and CodeTyphon
bithelpers - Bit manipulation for standard types
pasettimino - Siemens S7 PLC lib

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 09:32:46 am »
FreeBSD was reasonably fine with FreeBSD 10. It still builds, but I don't use it myself much anymore. I assume fine or close to fine.

Only the textmode IDE is less (but that is already less on Linux compared to windows).

There is a FPC 3.0.4 for NetBSD/i386 and x86_64 release. Afaik it initially worked after 3.0, and Pierre kept working on it after.

ftp://ftp.freepascal.org/fpc/dist/3.0.4/x86_64-netbsd/

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 01:31:42 pm »
I can confirm the compiler and rtl still work, but I only do server application recompiles and do not develop on the BSD platforms as such, apart from occasional FreeBSD for which I use neither Lazarus nor fp as editor, but Geany which works rock solid on all BSD's. Geany comes wth basic FPC templates and compile options as standard which are easy to edit to taste.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 01:44:49 pm by Thaddy »
Specialize a type, not a var.

giahung1997

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 02:54:17 pm »
I'm not asked about FreeBSD because DoubleCmd already available here  :D I asked about OpenBSD and NetBSD. I have played with NetBSD recently as a desktop workstation. So far no major desktop environment works (tried MATE and XFCE4, KDE 3 and 4 removed and 5 not yet available, Gnome3 still in WIP). It's the cost of using a less popular OS so I just accept it and happy with FluxBox up to now. Midnight Commander is great but I prefer what I used to know well which is DoubleCmd. If Laz is available there porting is very much effortless (I hope so). You known, FPC without Lazarus is useless  :P

About Fbsd, I think 10.x is already EOL. We should update to latest 12.0 or at least 11.x  :-[

And I liked Geany too   :D

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 03:09:10 pm »
If Laz is available there porting is very much effortless (I hope so). You known, FPC without Lazarus is useless  :P

Status is unknown, but could work. Just try to compile it. Basically it is just "make" in a lazarus checkout if you have FPC installed.

About Fbsd, I think 10.x is already EOL. We should update to latest 12.0 or at least 11.x  :-[

Yes it is. Stronger even, I already cleared 10 build machines last weekend (I used to use a stack of compact HP Pentium-D's for building, but nowadays VMs build faster, even on not so new hw) :-)

There is a 11 build. The last FPC release is from before 12 was released, so there are no 12 binaries yet.   I don't expect many problems (specially now the textmode IDE no longer uses libgdb, which was always most of the porting work), but I haven't created VMs for building yet.

But a lot of my daily FreeBSD use came to a halt last fall, after 25 continous years, so it gets much less exercise.

While I helped with NetBSD and OpenBSD, it is mostly Pierre's work.

And I liked Geany too   :D

I used it once, but in general I like the lazarus editor over the scintilla based ones. When I e.g. used large column-blocks, there was a lot of flicker and even instability, but admitted, that was a few years ago.

giahung1997

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2019, 08:02:37 am »
Something widely used will get more commits with bug fixes and improvements. You should try some Scintilla based editors to update your thoughts.

We should update to NetBSD 8.0. The build is on a 5.1 that is long EOLed. NetBSD 9 will be a great release with many virtualization improvements.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018