Recent

Author Topic: Just to confirm my approach  (Read 3934 times)

egsuh

Just to confirm my approach
« on: November 09, 2018, 07:35:54 am »
Hi,  I just want your ideas on my approach.  I wrote an application which uses several forms, and one datamodule.  Most of the forms have to access different datasets in the datamodule.
I did several trial and errors, and finally settled on following approach.

1) in each TForm definition module, I  add a TDataSet variable under public section.
2) And assign TDataSet object in the datamodule to the variable within "program" unit, before Application.Run, like following.

Code: Pascal  [Select][+][-]
  1. unit fselectproject_5;
  3. interface
  4. uses
  5.    Classes, SysUtils, FileUtil, Forms, Controls, Graphics, Dialogs, ExtCtrlsl
  7. type
  9.    TfProjectChoice = class(TForm)
  10.       bbrnLogin: TBitBtn;
  11.       bbtnCancelLogin: TBitBtn;
  12.    private
  13.       procedure RefreshProjectList;
  15.    public
  16.       uid: string;
  17.       DataSet: TDataSet;  // <==   this is TDataSet variable.
  19.    end;
  21. var
  22.    fProjectChoice: TfProjectChoice;
  23. ....
  26. //---------------
  28. program aq01editor;
  30. {$mode delphi}{$H+}
  32. uses
  33.   {$IFDEF UNIX}{$IFDEF UseCThreads}
  34.   cthreads,
  35.   {$ENDIF}{$ENDIF}
  36.   Interfaces, // this includes the LCL widgetset
  37.   Forms,   fselectproject_5, daq_fb_5, ...  ;
  39. {$R *.res}
  41. begin
  42.   RequireDerivedFormResource:=True;
  43.   Application.Initialize;
  44.   Application.CreateForm(TAQFB4, AQFB4);
  45.   Application.CreateForm(TfProjectChoice, fProjectChoice);
  46.   Application.CreateForm(TfQEdit, fQEdit);
  47.   Application.CreateForm(TfoNewQDef, foNewQDef);
  49.   fProjectChoice.DataSet := AQFB4.dsProjects;   // <== Assign the dataset here.
  51.   Application.Run;
  52. end.

In this way, I can use the forms and datamodule almost independently. Up to now this works fine, without any problem. But not sure there could be any problem in this approach.
Want your advice.

sash

Re: Just to confirm my approach
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 11:57:06 am »
To follow a "decoupling approach" I'd rather move Dataset assignement code from main (program) unit to each corresponding form's Constructor/OnCreate.

Code: Pascal  [Select][+][-]
  1. procedure TSomeForm.FormCreate(Sender : TObject);
  2. begin
  3.   Dataset := ADataModule.SomeDataSet; // <== Assign the dataset here.
  4. end;
Lazarus 2.0.10 FPC 3.2.0 x86_64-linux-gtk2 @ Ubuntu 20.04 XFCE

Soner

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 05:56:05 pm »
I would not put datasets in datamodule and use same datesets in other forms.
I did late 90's, because I read it in Delphi because and get problems after my program was bigger and I need to change something in database.
Today I put in datamodule only shared objects like  connections (i.e. TIBConnecion, TZConnection), TImageList for all forms.
It is so easy to change database or tables.

egsuh

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 11:09:01 am »
Hmmmm..
I see. My approach does not seem to be a good practice.
Problem is that I'd like to use a same unit in multiple applications with different database connections.
I'll think it over.

Thank you for your comments. 

mangakissa

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 03:37:23 pm »
I would not put datasets in datamodule and use same datesets in other forms.
I did late 90's, because I read it in Delphi because and get problems after my program was bigger and I need to change something in database.
Today I put in datamodule only shared objects like  connections (i.e. TIBConnecion, TZConnection), TImageList for all forms.
It is so easy to change database or tables.
Datamodule is built to separate data form the GUI. That's why datasets en connections will be placed on that form.
When your form must be updated or somehing, it's easier to connect the datamodule again.
I've never heard such thing on Delphi sites

The sugestion of sash is a right thing to do
Lazarus 2.06 (64b) / FPC 3.0.4 / Windows 10
stucked on Delphi 10.3.1

garlar27

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 04:45:28 pm »
I do the same as Soner.
There's no need to have aaaaaaalllll the tables alive the whole time (even if you don't need it), but I do need to centralize the connection and other non visual objects.
Besides, putting together tables in a public space, and whose visibility (responsibility) should be private for a specific class (for instance TClient, TInvoice, etc) is a way to break the objects encapsulation.

In my case I take things maybe way to far:
Lets say I have to do a desktop app with a GUI. I manage the project as if it where 2 projects one is the business domain (without forms and dialogs of any kind, thus if I need it to be library or a daemon/service or an Apache module I just do a wrapper for that particular objective) and the other project is the GUI itself. The data flow is using JSON or XML. Basically I forbid the interface to have a direct access to the data.

Thus the code is easier to maintain and to comprehend.

mangakissa

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2018, 09:19:21 pm »
There are many ways to get your data separated from the GUI.

What you says is DBComponments are forbidden tools, because they are related to data on form.
Delphi will doing the same with livebindings.

But it's no crime to use DBComponents for diplaying. You can handle all data in a separate unit.
But that has nothing to do for not using a datamodule.

I use several datamodules (sometimes for each form) The table is only active when a datamodule is created.
Lazarus 2.06 (64b) / FPC 3.0.4 / Windows 10
stucked on Delphi 10.3.1

garlar27

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2018, 02:37:32 pm »
There are many ways to get your data separated from the GUI.
Yes, that's right! I tell what works for me at the moment....

What you says is DBComponments are forbidden tools, because they are related to data on form.
No, I didn't mean that. In fact I use a lot of TDBGrids, and some TDB* but I do not connect them to the main database, I connect them to (for instance) a TMemDataSet whose data was taken from a JSON, XML, a collection or an array of records. It sounds like a a lot of work but it pays off at maintenance time.

egsuh

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2018, 03:24:31 am »
Regarding Sash's approach, problem lies when the form is used by different applications.

Let's assume that I have two applications which are the same except that one uses local database and another one uses remote database.

What I have is a datamodule that locally connect to the database, and another datamodule that connects to remote database.

If both datamodules may have the same name, then it would be ok, but the filenames must be same as well, as they have to appear in the uses clause. Then I need two forms.

sash

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2018, 08:21:29 am »
Let's assume that I have two applications which are the same except that one uses local database and another one uses remote database.

If you have multiple instances of the same application, then use different connection strings for database passed by different config files / sections / CLI switches, or both, or combination of them. No need to change code at all, except to implement a configurable database connection (what itself is always good approach, regardless of application nature) instead of hardcoded strings in components.
Lazarus 2.0.10 FPC 3.2.0 x86_64-linux-gtk2 @ Ubuntu 20.04 XFCE

TinyPortal © 2005-2018