Recent

Author Topic: [RESOLVED] LazReport - Installation Problem on Win7/32  (Read 3283 times)

mtrsoft

[RESOLVED] LazReport - Installation Problem on Win7/32
« on: October 05, 2018, 05:12:30 am »
 :)I'm using Lazarus 1.8.4 on a Win 7/32 system and am having a problem installing LazReports.

Basically, what I have observed is:

1. When selecting "Package > Install/Uninstall Packages..." and then selecting LasReport 0.9.9 for intallation and finally "Save and Rebuild IDE" it seems that LazReport is installed and Lazarus is Rebuilt without any errors.

2. After the above the LazReport tab does NOT appear on the Component Palette.

3. Selecting "Tools > Options" then "Environment > Component Palette" LazReport appears in the "Pages" list.

4. Selecting the "LazReport" item in the "Pages" list shows that there are NO components in the "Components" list.

5. This suggests to me that for some reason the LazReport components are not being properly installed and / or registered.

6. In an attempt to resolve this issue I re-installed Lazarus and ensured that the re-install removed all pre-existing user configuration settings.

7. Repeating 1 to 4 above had the same result.

8. I also downloaded and tried installing LazReport r59245 with the same result.

9. Note: I do not have any problems installing other packages, such as the LazCustForms 1.0 package.

I assume that there is something simple that I am failing to do.

TIA for any suggestions.

Regards,
John

« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 02:47:10 am by mtrsoft »

GAN

Re: LazReport - Installation Problem on Win7/32
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 06:01:14 am »
Did you compile it before saving and rebuilding the IDE?
Lazarus 2.0.8 FPC 3.0.4 Linux Mint Mate 19.3
Zeos 7̶.̶2̶.̶6̶ 7.1.3a-stable - Sqlite 3.32.3 - LazReport

mtrsoft

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 06:08:50 am »
Yes, I did compile it before installing it.

balazsszekely

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 06:42:59 am »
Please try the following:
1. Go to LazarusMenu-->View-->Components(Ctrl + Alt + P)
2. Go to tab "Palette"
3. Right click the list-->Collapse all
4. Locate Lazreport, then try to drop a few component to the form

Does it work?

mtrsoft

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 07:02:36 am »
No, it does not work.

Steps 1, 2 and 3 work.

At step 4 the LazReport item is visible in the list, BUT there is no drop-down indicator (down triangle) indicating that there are sub-items.

All of the other items in the list have the drop-down indicator and have sub-items (components).

Also, double-clicking on the LazReport item does not expand the list, while double-clicking on other items in the list will expand the list so that sub-items (components) are visible.

balazsszekely

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 07:16:41 am »
Unfortunately I'm out of ideas. I did run a quick test both on Lazarus 1.8.4 and Trunk(win7), Lazreport and sub-items are visible in the component palette, everything is working as it should.

mtrsoft

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2018, 08:01:36 am »
I have tested the issue on two different computers (a Win7/32 and a Win7/64) both with Lazarus 1.8.4 for Win32 and have not been able to reproduce the problem.

Clearly, there must be some configuration problem on the computer that is exhibiting the problem.

I will continue trying to resolve the issue.

If, no when, the issue is resolved I'll post an update with the solution.

Regards,
John

mtrsoft

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2018, 02:46:12 am »
I do not know what caused the problem, but it has been resolved by doing a COMPLETE uninstall and then NEW fresh install of Lazarus.

Simply re-installing Lazarus and during that process uninstalling the previous version and removing any user configuration setting is NOT adequate.

When looking at the process I used you will undoubtedly say to yourself that "The process used was obviously the thing to do." All I can say to that is that it was not immediately obvious to me. Just in case there are other "reluctant learners" like me, here is what I did.

1. Made a backup copy of the main Lazarus directory by copying "C:\lazarus" to "C:\lazarus-bak01" so that I wouldn't lose the code for any of the custom components that I'd developed.

2. Made a backup copy of all user configuration setting by copying "C:\users\<user name>\appdata\local\lazarus" to "C:\users\<user name>\appdata\local\lazarus-bak01".

3. Used Windows' standard uninstall procedure to uninstall Lazarus.

4. Used Windows Explorer to check that all Lazarus related files had been deleted. -- They had not, so
4a. Deleted the directory "C:\Lazarus" and all of its sub-directories and files.
4b. Deleted the directory "C:\users\<user name>\appdata\local\lazarus" and all of its sub-directories and files.

5. Checked the Windows Registry using RegEdit and noted that there were NO suspicious entries.

6. Re-booted the computer.

7. Installed a new copy of Lazarus 1.8.4 for Win32.

8. Re-booted the computer.

9. Started Lazarus and went through the usual first-time steps.

10. Closed Lazarus and the re-started it to confirm that everything was OK.

11. Closed Lasarus and re-booted the computer -- just in case....

12. Started Lazarus and installed LazReport, which re-built Lazarus. -- All went well and the LazReport item appeared on the Component Palette with all of its components. -- SUCCESS!

13. Closed and re-opened Lazarus. No issues.

14. Installed other components without encountering any issues.

15. Will delete the backed-up directories when I am absolutely convinced that all is well. -- Perhaps in a week or so.

Now I am a happy camper!

I hope the above is of some use to others who encounter unusual problems with Lazarus -- especially on Windows, which occasionaly seems to present unusual problems.

Regards,
John

balazsszekely

Re: [RESOLVED] LazReport - Installation Problem on Win7/32
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2018, 07:43:14 am »
@mtrsoft
I hope the above is of some use to others who encounter unusual problems with Lazarus -- especially on Windows, which occasionaly seems to present unusual problems.
Thank you for the feedback.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018