Recent

Author Topic: Code Completion Speed  (Read 9391 times)

apexcol

Code Completion Speed
« on: September 14, 2018, 07:19:21 am »
Most of the time I write fast, even than the Code Completion window is slow to appear.  How can I speed up the window on showing?   I think there must be an option for changing the value of the window to appear.

alex256

Re: Code Completion Speed
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 07:46:48 am »
Go to Tools > Options, then go to Editor > Completion And Hints. Then you can tweak "delay for hints and completion box" option. Hope this will help.

apexcol

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 12:22:47 pm »
Thank you!  I couldn't find it because I see is not well grouped...

Even I tried to modify the MenuShowDelay in the Registry, it worked but not as I wanted, and your advice is really good.

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 01:03:10 pm »
There is a related feature request:
 https://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=29482
It is assigned to me but I don't plan to implement it soon. A patch is welcome and would be applied for sure. It should be quite easy to implement. Some GUI changes + a new environment setting.
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

valdir.marcos

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 06:01:53 pm »
There is a related feature request:
 https://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=29482
It is assigned to me but I don't plan to implement it soon. A patch is welcome and would be applied for sure. It should be quite easy to implement. Some GUI changes + a new environment setting.
Just curious. I am puzzled, as a matter of fact.
Please, understand that I am not criticizing you.
Talking about project management, I am trying to understand if you don't plan to implement it soon as you just said, shouldn't you be monitoring this issue - since you are interested in it - instead of having it being assigned to you?

As far as I understand, when a ticket is assigned to somebody, it means that person will study it and maybe solve it. It means that other people of that team should only care about taking only unassigned tickets for them. And when you are just monitoring a ticket means that you want it solved, or discuss its solution, or even have an small participation on its solution, but not solve it primarily.

A patch is welcome and would be applied for sure.
Since tickets are already assigned, how other volunteers can realize when their help is needed or not? When their help will be accepted or not? When tickets are already being worked on or being on hold?

I am trying to help more, but how Lazarus and FPC are internally developed, how decisions are made, when patches are applied or rejected, how funds for complex or not attractive activities are raised, and why contributing members are expelled are a puzzle (very confusing) for me.

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 07:41:49 pm »
Talking about project management, I am trying to understand if you don't plan to implement it soon as you just said, shouldn't you be monitoring this issue - since you are interested in it - instead of having it being assigned to you?
Yes you have a point there. I just detached myself from the issue.

Since tickets are already assigned, how other volunteers can realize when their help is needed or not? When their help will be accepted or not? When tickets are already being worked on or being on hold?
Tickets belonging to a certain subsystem are often assigned directly to its maintainer either automatically, by himself or by somebody else.
It means CodeTools to Mattias, debugger to Martin, Delphi converter to me etc.
If a ticket has been there for a long time untouched, it is very likely not being worked on. You can solve such an issue but please communicate about it, too. Mails to Lazarus mailing list or to the developer directly are easy to send and are always read.
Ok, the issue in question did not belong to any specific subsystem. I planned to implement it, clicked "Assign" button but then other priorities came up. It happens.

I am trying to help more, but how Lazarus and FPC are internally developed, how decisions are made, when patches are applied or rejected, how funds for complex or not attractive activities are raised,
This is a volunteer open source project. Lazarus project has no paid developers so far. The foundation funded the Pas2Js thing and has further plans. Let's see what comes out of it.
When patches are applied or rejected? Good patches are applied and bad patches are rejected.
How decisions are made? Hmmm... Everybody scratches his own itch. :) Some issues are even discussed in mailing lists.

and why contributing members are expelled are a puzzle (very confusing) for me.
Do you mean that some patches get ignored for a long time? Yes, it is annoying for a contributor. However the situation has improved. The goal is to accept or reject a patch in a reasonable time. The downside is that some patches have very low quality. They either break things or they fail to understand the code's design and mess it.
I have got feedback for applying poor and invalid patches. True, but it is impossible to study every patch as deeply as would be needed. It means a contributor has responsibility for the quality of his patch. He must study the code and ask from others when needed. Otherwise nobody wants to apply the patches and there will be again lots of them ignored.

Anyway, when somebody provides many high quality patches, he gets a high reputation and finally commit rights for SVN. That has happened to every current Lazarus developer at some point!
valdir.marcos, I don't remember your patches. Were they good or crappy?
No need to wait, just take an issue you want to solve and then solve it. First let others know you are doing it, so there is no danger of duplicate work.
No "official" committee is going to assign tasks for you. Just bite the bullet, dive into the code and fix it.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 06:31:26 pm by JuhaManninen »

valdir.marcos

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 03:56:58 pm »
Tickets belonging to a certain subsystem are often assigned directly to its maintainer either automatically, by himself or by somebody else.
It means CodeTools to Mattias, debugger to Martin, Delphi converter to me etc.
I understand.

If a ticket has been there for a long time untouched, it is very likely not being worked on. You can solve such an issue but please communicate about it, too. Mails to Lazarus mailing list or to the developer directly are easy to send and are always read.
I'd like to pick up simple small old tickets not assigned (or assigned but not solved) issues.
I am still learning how to list them globally or by category and by status to avoid duplicate efforts  on Mantis.

Just curious.
Why MantisBT is not updated from version 1.2.12 to 2.17.0?

valdir.marcos

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 03:59:48 pm »
Ok, the issue in question did not belong to any specific subsystem. I planned to implement it, clicked "Assign" button but then other priorities came up. It happens.
I understand and I agree.

valdir.marcos

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 04:04:08 pm »
I am trying to help more, but how Lazarus and FPC are internally developed, how decisions are made, when patches are applied or rejected, how funds for complex or not attractive activities are raised,
This is a volunteer open source project. Lazarus project has no paid developers so far. The foundation funded the Pas2Js thing and has further plans. Let's see what comes out of it.
When patches are applied or rejected? Good patches are applied and bad patches are rejected.
How decisions are made? Hmmm... Everybody scratches his own itch. :) Some issues are even discussed in mailing lists.
I understand.

valdir.marcos

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2018, 04:17:20 pm »
Do you mean that some patches get ignored for a long time?
No, I was referring about a discussion I read on forum or mailing list about a young developer that got commit rights on SVN, but then his rights were revoke because of his not polite and strong attitudes on modernizing FPC without considering Delphi choices.
I am not in favor or against him, I just got confused on the process of his acceptance and then on his expelling from the project.

valdir.marcos

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2018, 04:20:30 pm »
Do you mean that some patches get ignored for a long time? Yes, it is annoying for a contributor. However the situation has improved. The goal is to accept or reject a patch in a reasonable time. The downside is that some patches have very low quality. They either break things or they fail to understand the code's design and mess it.
I have got feedback for applying poor and invalid patches. True, but it is impossible to study every patch as deeply as would be needed. It means a contributor has responsibility for the quality of his patch. He must study the code and ask from others when needed. Otherwise nobody wants to apply the patches and there will be again lots of them ignored.
I understand.

valdir.marcos

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2018, 04:26:32 pm »
The downside is that some patches have very low quality. They either break things or they fail to understand the code's design and mess it.
I have got feedback for applying poor and invalid patches. True, but it is impossible to study every patch as deeply as would be needed.
It means a contributor has responsibility for the quality of his patch. He must study the code and ask from others when needed. Otherwise nobody wants to apply the patches and there will be again lots of them ignored.
The same way I help improve quality on close source projects, I am trying to figure it out how I could help others here.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 04:28:24 pm by valdir.marcos »

valdir.marcos

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2018, 04:27:42 pm »
Anyway, when somebody provides many high quality patches, he gets a high reputation and finally commit rights for SVN. That has happened to every current Lazarus developer at some point!
I understand.
Thanks for you time and explanation.

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2018, 04:38:01 pm »
I'd like to pick up simple small old tickets not assigned (or assigned but not solved) issues.
I am still learning how to list them globally or by category and by status to avoid duplicate efforts  on Mantis.
I usually set "Hide Status:" to "resolved" and then search by words and phrases. Few searches and you get an idea of issues around a certain topic. Then open those issues and see their related issues. All reports were read by developers and they are well linked to other reports.
You can also search by widgetset, "assigned to" developer etc. The search options are pretty good actually.
Most tasks are not trivial and require learning and debugging code but that's what programming is.

Why MantisBT is not updated from version 1.2.12 to 2.17.0?
Good question. Its maintainers are not very active and do only what is necessary. I think a more recent version must be pushed at some point.
There are custom scripts for email feedback. It was not automatic in the old version but is improved in the new one.

No, I was referring about a discussion I read on forum or mailing list about a young developer that got commit rights on SVN, but then his rights were revoke because of his not polite and strong attitudes on modernizing FPC without considering Delphi choices.
That was in FPC project. The same person still has commit rights for Lazarus project.
I don't have strong opinions about the issue and I don't know details.
A project fork can be a good option sometimes. That is the beauty of FOSS.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 04:46:09 pm by JuhaManninen »

Pascal

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2018, 10:16:36 pm »
Go to Tools > Options, then go to Editor > Completion And Hints. Then you can tweak "delay for hints and completion box" option. Hope this will help.

Maybe this should be move to Codetools -> Identifier Completion. I also had difficulties to find it and even did not find it by myself.
I just remembered that there has been a thread about this in the last weeks!
laz trunk x64 - fpc trunk i386 (cross x64) - Windows 10 Pro x64 (21H2)

TinyPortal © 2005-2018